Singapore Expats Forum

SPR application with wife as 1st applicant and husband as 2nd

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
ready2buy
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon, 25 May 2015

SPR application with wife as 1st applicant and husband as 2nd

Postby ready2buy » Mon, 25 May 2015 7:10 pm

Hi,

It's been quite sometime in Singapore and I was wondering that if I apply for PR along with my wife, but wife being 1st applicant and I being 2nd then what are the advantages or disadvantages of this kind? Both working on EP. I have a few questions as well mentioned below.

1. Does ICA treat 2nd applicant as dependent of 1st?
2. If the PR application gets successful, then will I have to go for NS? I am little over 30 years and wife is also of the same age.
3. Any other thing that I should know?

Thanks in advance.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35184
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Re: SPR application with wife as 1st applicant and husband as 2nd

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 25 May 2015 7:56 pm

If you put her as the first applicant and you as a dependent, there is a VERY good chance of having to do NS, especially now that they have opened up Military Service to those 40 years olds. You'd be hard pressed to get out of it considering that the bent that they are having to listen to from the Opposition or Anti-PAP crowd. Good Luck. And doing NS is good for you. ;-)

ready2buy
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon, 25 May 2015

Re: SPR application with wife as 1st applicant and husband as 2nd

Postby ready2buy » Mon, 25 May 2015 8:23 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:If you put her as the first applicant and you as a dependent, there is a VERY good chance of having to do NS, especially now that they have opened up Military Service to those 40 years olds. You'd be hard pressed to get out of it considering that the bent that they are having to listen to from the Opposition or Anti-PAP crowd. Good Luck. And doing NS is good for you. ;-)


Thanks sundaymorningstaple, but here NS mean 2 years of NS followed by 40 days Operationally Ready NS in a year or 40 days of Operationally Ready NS?

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35184
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Re: SPR application with wife as 1st applicant and husband as 2nd

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 25 May 2015 10:10 pm

Following the completion of full-time NS, they will be required to serve up to 40 days of Operationally Ready National Service (ORNS) per year for the duration of their ORNS training cycle till the age of 50 years (for officers) or 40 years (for other ranks).


The key words here being "UP TO". I don't know anybody who has ever done 40 days per year. 2 to 3 weeks is normally the max.

ready2buy
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon, 25 May 2015

Re: SPR application with wife as 1st applicant and husband as 2nd

Postby ready2buy » Tue, 26 May 2015 5:31 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Following the completion of full-time NS, they will be required to serve up to 40 days of Operationally Ready National Service (ORNS) per year for the duration of their ORNS training cycle till the age of 50 years (for officers) or 40 years (for other ranks).


The key words here being "UP TO". I don't know anybody who has ever done 40 days per year. 2 to 3 weeks is normally the max.


Sundaymorningstaple, the question is if I apply and I get the PR, will I have to go for 2 years full time NS followed by up to 40 days of ORNS, or it will be just upto 40 days of ORNS without full time 2 years NS. Thanks!

bgd
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1396
Joined: Wed, 25 Jul 2007

Re: SPR application with wife as 1st applicant and husband as 2nd

Postby bgd » Tue, 26 May 2015 5:46 pm

Yes. NS is the 2 years and the ongoing annual obligation.

Edit: If you already have a military background there might be an option to reduce the 2 year requirement. Don't know but it would make sense depending on level of training.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35184
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Re: SPR application with wife as 1st applicant and husband as 2nd

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 27 May 2015 12:36 am

ready2buy wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Following the completion of full-time NS, they will be required to serve up to 40 days of Operationally Ready National Service (ORNS) per year for the duration of their ORNS training cycle till the age of 50 years (for officers) or 40 years (for other ranks).


The key words here being "UP TO". I don't know anybody who has ever done 40 days per year. 2 to 3 weeks is normally the max.


Sundaymorningstaple, the question is if I apply and I get the PR, will I have to go for 2 years full time NS followed by up to 40 days of ORNS, or it will be just upto 40 days of ORNS without full time 2 years NS. Thanks!


What did the very first line of the quoted passage above say?
Did you even bother to read it? Or, did you ONLY read the bolded items? It states it pretty obviously. (full time NS is 24 months, give or take 2 months depending on your physical prowess.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests