Singapore Expats

EP approval chances

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
Yahaan

EP approval chances

Post by Yahaan » Sat, 23 May 2015 8:36 am

Hello everybody,

I have got a new permanent job offer and its a big local company. They have already fulfilled the 2 week criteria of job ad on jobsbank. What are the chances of EP approval? Anyone recently had issues with getting brand new EPs recently?

I may consider not resigning until my EP is approved. How long does it take these days? In the past it always took me 1 or 2 days.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Re: EP approval chances

Post by Strong Eagle » Sat, 23 May 2015 9:53 pm

It takes information to make a guess. What is your basic salary? How many years of experience do you have? What is the level of position you are offered... manager, technical, sales? What is your educational level?

ed.

Post by ed. » Sun, 24 May 2015 9:25 am

I did what you mentioned and advised the new employer I would not be giving my existing employer notice until my ipa letter was issued. They were ok with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yahaan

Post by Yahaan » Sun, 24 May 2015 2:46 pm

To be on the safe side I could resign after I see how the EP approval goes.
Last edited by Yahaan on Mon, 25 May 2015 9:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

Yahaan

Re: RE: Re: EP approval chances

Post by Yahaan » Sun, 24 May 2015 3:02 pm

ed. wrote:I did what you mentioned and advised the new employer I would not be giving my existing employer notice until my ipa letter was issued. They were ok with that.

Ed. How long did your ep approval take?

ed.

Post by ed. » Sun, 24 May 2015 3:21 pm

Yahaan wrote:
ed. wrote:I did what you mentioned and advised the new employer I would not be giving my existing employer notice until my ipa letter was issued. They were ok with that.

Ed. How long did your ep approval take?
Took 1 week. I failed to mention that I did advise my manager I had received an offer and was considering it. Whether you feel comfortable doing this will depend on your relationship with your manager.

I think all up it is 2 months from when they made an offer until when I actually start.

Hope this helps.
Ed

Yahaan

Post by Yahaan » Sun, 24 May 2015 3:40 pm

Thanks Ed. That's interesting. For me as well the best case would be to negotiate 2 months of time before joining the new company. I will try this. But I wonder if 2 months is too late.

My relationship with my team lead has been good, but then with these things you never know. The HR might have their own rules.
Last edited by Yahaan on Mon, 25 May 2015 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

ed.

Post by ed. » Sun, 24 May 2015 3:48 pm

From what I've heard. 2 months notice period is common in Singapore. My offer letter states a 2 month notice period if I leave my Singaporean employer. Try it and see. Are you going through a recruiter or direct?

Yahaan

Re: RE: Re: EP approval chances

Post by Yahaan » Sun, 24 May 2015 4:10 pm

ed. wrote:From what I've heard. 2 months notice period is common in Singapore. My offer letter states a 2 month notice period if I leave my Singaporean employer. Try it and see. Are you going through a recruiter or direct?
Thanks. I am going through a recruiter. Yes, I will definitely try it.

ed.

Post by ed. » Sun, 24 May 2015 4:17 pm

Definitely speak to the recruiter and layout your terms. They will then try and get you what you want.

Good luck mate.

Yahaan

Post by Yahaan » Sun, 24 May 2015 4:31 pm

Thanks mate, I will update here about how it goes.

Yahaan

Post by Yahaan » Sun, 31 May 2015 12:29 pm

Hello everybody,

Just to update for the sake of others, my EP took 3 days for approval. Just like Ed. I also verbally informed my boss that got an offer and then officially resigned after the EP got approved. All seems to be going on well. Thanks everyone!

ed.

Post by ed. » Thu, 04 Jun 2015 6:45 pm

Congrats Yahaan!!!

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » Sun, 14 Jun 2015 12:02 pm

Looking for some feedback, if anyone could assist based on their experience...

On the topic, for my situation I am Australian citizen, by birth, 41 years old, expated in China previously for 4.5 years, senior roles from Regional GM to VP, new role is VP Business Development Asia Pacific for MNC, no degree only previous experience, salary is SGD$20K+ per month (inclusive of allowances)... I ask as I have heard the Singapore MOM is cracking down...

Thanks

Ronny.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 14 Jun 2015 3:25 pm

If your base salary (not adding in allowances) is over 12K/month you will probably not have any problems at all even without the degree. The degree is usually to show that theoretically you have the knowledge to perform (or at least the IQ to do so) but once you pass a certain income threshhold, it is assumed that if an employer is willing to put out that quantum of money for an individual, then that individual has already shown the capability (especially in an MNC environment). Good luck to you. As Nike puts it.....Just do it!
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers