Singapore Expats

Internet "Dating"

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
what's with this?

Internet "Dating"

Post by what's with this? » Wed, 19 Jan 2005 11:48 pm

Hi,

I've been in Sing for a few years and recently tried out the internet dating scene. Met some great people. Played on the intimate encounters section when I was messaged by the guys 8 out of 10 suggested meeting up right then within the 1st 6 lines... What's with that???

Yes I was up to chatting, have some fun on line. What reasonable guy thinks a girl is that desperate they would take that safety risk?

Maybe I'm too clueless. Yes, I have taken my message down from that section.

Just curious about what others think.

Re: Internet "Dating"

Post by Guest » Thu, 20 Jan 2005 12:40 am

what's with this? wrote:Hi,

I've been in Sing for a few years and recently tried out the internet dating scene. Met some great people. Played on the intimate encounters section when I was messaged by the guys 8 out of 10 suggested meeting up right then within the 1st 6 lines... What's with that???

Yes I was up to chatting, have some fun on line. What reasonable guy thinks a girl is that desperate they would take that safety risk?

Maybe I'm too clueless. Yes, I have taken my message down from that section.

Just curious about what others think.
The internet scene is full of such desperadoes looking for a free lay :!: Beware!

Altitude

Post by Altitude » Thu, 20 Jan 2005 1:50 am

hey what's up with that, i agree with guest, the web is filled with desperate people looking to get-it-on. Guys have a pretty one track mentality when it comes to this, if they're looking for a quickie by getting on the intimate encounter, then you are too! :roll:

That does not make sense to me, but i'm just giving it to you from a man's mind i guess, i could be wrong, so dun take my word as gospel truth.

Honestly, a little online chatting up can't hurt, but meeting up, whoah! A whole new ballpark. Let's say i've been there and am gratefull to be here to tell the tale! :!:

eh+lah

Post by eh+lah » Wed, 09 Mar 2005 1:57 am

i think in your "ad" you should have been quite specific, chat only. before everyone jumps to conclusions, not all males who respond to dating ads actually want a one-nighter. we actually want to stimulate your brains. =) and actually have some intelligent conversation. now is that too hard to ask? whatever happened to ladies first? make the first move! it's the 2nd millenium! :)

Desperado

Post by Desperado » Wed, 09 Mar 2005 3:48 pm

The real explanation for this phenomenon is really a lot more profound and complicated than what has been said. In fact, I wouldn't be able to explain it to you on an internet forum. I could explain it to you over dinner though, and maybe thereafter. So when are you free?

madwolfie
Manager
Manager

Post by madwolfie » Wed, 09 Mar 2005 5:30 pm

What a laff!!! *LOL* :lol:

eh+lah

Post by eh+lah » Wed, 09 Mar 2005 9:29 pm

wolf u gotta admit he's creative. :P

what's with this?

Post by what's with this? » Wed, 09 Mar 2005 10:28 pm

Very cute....Why don't you leave your e-mail and we can chat?

eh+lah

Post by eh+lah » Thu, 10 Mar 2005 3:57 am

why don't you just instant message him.

edit: ok i just re-read your first post. i'm just wondering why you would post on the intimate section and expect to just have intimate chats? makes more sense that people in the intimate section actually want to do the deed(s) and are perhaps looking for people who have similar want(s)/need(s)

Experienced

Post by Experienced » Mon, 14 Mar 2005 12:00 am

From the male perspective - You can get in contact with large numbers of girls very quickly. Also, you can get some idea of their education level, background, etc right away from their profiles usually. So, in that sense better than the bar scene.

However, it goes downhill from there.

You have to spend a lot of time emailing back and forth, writing intelligent and witty messages. This is very time consuming.

The pictures the girls send are often inadequate. Like a shot take from 20m away in a London winter with her wearing a coat and scarf and hat.
But, it seems rude to demand more pictures.

So, you end up going out with a lot of girls that are not attractive, since you didn't have a clear idea of what they looked like. In a bar scene, you would have never wasted any time since you would be able to tell right away what they looked like.

I tried it and just decided the bar scene was easier and better.

However, that "intimate encounters" site is basically for people that want to meet and have sex. I don't know why you would expect anything other than the result you got since you didn't choose the relationships section.