Singapore Expats

Air Con Cleaning Service

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
briandragon

Air Con Cleaning Service

Post by briandragon » Fri, 15 May 2015 8:36 am

Hello,

Anyone knows where I can find the cheaper air-con cleaning service?

Thank you for your help!!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Air Con Cleaning Service

Post by JR8 » Fri, 15 May 2015 8:58 am

We use Coolserve. But I refuse to get sucked into the mandatory service contracts.
[i.e. If a property comes together with the provision of a service, then it should be up to to LL to provide and maintain the provision of said service]
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Fri, 15 May 2015 7:01 pm

JR8 wrote:We use Coolserve. But I refuse to get sucked into the mandatory service contracts.
[i.e. If a property comes together with the provision of a service, then it should be up to to LL to provide and maintain the provision of said service]
But if you don't contract with them, don't you wind up paying more?

It's tricky when your lease and your contracts don't line up, although if I were to move I would ask to have a contract move with me.
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 15 May 2015 7:26 pm

Brah wrote:But if you don't contract with them, don't you wind up paying more?
It's tricky when your lease and your contracts don't line up, although if I were to move I would ask to have a contract move with me.
Yes, you pay more for a 'one off'. But's lets face it, the whole air-con servicing thing is, a con.

[Esp when you don;t use it!]

CaptainBullus
Regular
Regular

Post by CaptainBullus » Sun, 17 May 2015 11:32 pm

We used SkyZone AirCon S$100 for 5 units. Although I agree with JR8, that it's a total con as we have had the A/C on twice in the 9 months we've lived here!

maneo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by maneo » Tue, 19 May 2015 12:37 am

briandragon wrote:Hello,

Anyone knows where I can find the cheaper air-con cleaning service?

Thank you for your help!!
Maxicool will do only what is needed and at a reasonable cost.
They will not sell service packages.
You can read about them in other forums:

"Any good and reliable home aircon service to share" on mycarforum.com

"Recommend a Good and Cheap Air-Con Service Company" on hardwarezone.com.sg

I was impressed by the answers that Jason of Maxicool provides to various questions on the hardwarezone forum, so I had him service my aircon units.

Only problem with Maxicool is the long queue - you need to schedule several weeks in advance for an open slot, but for non-urgent, periodic maintenance this should not be a problem.

P.S. I have no connection with this company other than being a satisfied customer.
I just like to see nice guys that are fair succeed.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 19 May 2015 8:28 am

Maneo, we trust you. It's the ones who register just to give us the fantastic recommendation and we don't see any further posts from them. :-/
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Tue, 19 May 2015 8:46 am

We use our air con extensively. I pay 30 dollars a unit no contract and only have to give a couple of days notice. No issues with the service. Can't remember the name of the company but if anyone wants it pm me and I will find it.

alvinncx

Post by alvinncx » Mon, 22 Jun 2015 1:43 pm

I'm also looking for air con servicing too. Any idea if there's a difference between chemical cleaning or servicing? How much should I be expecting to pay?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Air Con Cleaning Service

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 22 Jun 2015 11:42 pm

alvinncx wrote:I'm also looking for air con servicing too. Any idea if there's a difference between chemical cleaning or servicing? How much should I be expecting to pay?
As somebody who apprenticed as an aircon technician, my 2 cents is, chemical cleaning is a con job to take more money out of you, unless you don't even bother to use a 3M filter and change it regularly

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Tue, 23 Jun 2015 8:36 am

Steve1960 wrote:We use our air con extensively. I pay 30 dollars a unit no contract and only have to give a couple of days notice. No issues with the service. Can't remember the name of the company but if anyone wants it pm me and I will find it.
I wonder if this is similar to JR8's rates.

We have 5 units, that would come to $150 each time. We have been on contract and pay $400 a year for quarterly service. That comes to $100 each time, or $20 a unit.

I see Maxicool is $50/unit, but for 5 units it is $130. My guess is these firms are all the same, some just charge more, and some probably charge more for extras or time, seems like a racket.

Having said that, the results from our service are often so-so, with the freon or other reason why the duration of the aircon effectiveness varies.
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 23 Jun 2015 10:46 am

Brah wrote: I wonder if this is similar to JR8's rates.
We were on a contract for 5 internal fan-coils, and two external condensers and two years ago that was $430/yr (incl). But we only use the air-con for maybe one evening a year in the lounge (2 fancoils) if we have a crowd over. Essentially it's not used for 1 year less say 4 hours. So I grew tired of not just the contract cost, the occasional random 'extras', the internal cleaning of 3 of 5 fancoils that have never been switched on during our tenancy, plus having perhaps 3 engineers wandering around my home each quarter, asking to use the bathroom and so on.

So as at around June last year we didn't renew the contract, but when we were getting a lot of trouble from our agent demanding to see evidence the air-con had been serviced we had them done as a 'one off'. That was $214 (incl). We will be doing the same again in a few weeks time to evidence the AC has been serviced prior the us ending our tenancy. Twice in a year as one-offs won't make a cost saving, but it will mean less random people wandering around our home and needing to be watched closely.

One of my larger gripes with servicing is the extras some companies can tell you are required. Gas top-ups is one that particularly aggravates me as you have no way of knowing if anything is actually being done. The engineer will be on an external ledge, with a small pressure gauge attached to the condenser's gas system .... has he opened the valve fully? Can you read the 1" gauge from 6 foot away?

I think the best you can do is get a recommendation from someone who understands the scope of work involved, and is confident their engineers are honest.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 23 Jun 2015 12:44 pm

JR8 wrote:One of my larger gripes with servicing is the extras some companies can tell you are required. Gas top-ups is one that particularly aggravates me as you have no way of knowing if anything is actually being done. The engineer will be on an external ledge, with a small pressure gauge attached to the condenser's gas system .... has he opened the valve fully? Can you read the 1" gauge from 6 foot away?
From my past experience, 90% of split units do leak gas, it is just the quantity of leak, as the pipes can never be secured to ensure zero leak.

Unlike Window/Casement units.

I haven't seen many Aircon service crew carrying Gas leak detectors.

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Tue, 14 Jul 2015 10:06 pm

Update on this.

Our older service was not available when we needed them. The alternate service we used to use, which was better and cost the same, $400 / year / 4x / 5 interior units, has gone to $500 a year contract.

The increase rationale was that foreign labor increases have impacted the costs.

Is anyone else hearing this?
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape.

maneo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by maneo » Sun, 29 Nov 2015 12:40 am

Yes, labour costs have increased.
Wasn't there a levy increase last year?