Singapore Expats

Funny

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Funny

Post by Steve1960 » Wed, 13 May 2015 11:50 am

Standing outside on Thomson Road indulging in my bad habit I have seen a couple of funny things recently. It's a busy road as you know, I stand close to a bus stop and it is very busy, the busses arrive and leave constantly every few minutes.

A couple of days ago I see an old Auntie riding her rusty bicycle on the wrong side of the road. Not too much of an issue until she reached the bus stop pull in. She waited several minutes for what she thought was the best opportunity then set off at snails pace to pass two buses which had pulled up at the stop. She might have made it squeezing between the oncoming traffic and the two buses which are of course wider than the bus stop pull in. Unfortunately the bus at the rear pulled out before the one at the front. I couldn't see the drivers face but he must have been pretty shocked when he cleared the first bus and was faced with Auntie bearing down on him :shock:

Yesterday was even better. When I arrived outside there was an old beat up open backed truck parked in the bus stop bay with it's engine running and no one around. Several buses struggled to pull out past it after stopping. Shortly after an old Uncle came out of the shopping mall carrying his soup and rice dish for lunch. As he got into the truck he swung the door wide open causing a bus which was leaving the stop to slam on its brakes and give Uncle an angry slam on the horn. Not content with this Uncle then decided to pull away, with hazard lights still flashing, just as a second bus was pulling away from the stop. I watched him then drive at around 15 miles an hour down to the main traffic light junction and over it still with the hazard warning lights flashing. No doubt he was tucking into lunch whilst driving!

Heading outside now to see what today's entertainment will be :D

bgd
Manager
Manager

Re: Funny

Post by bgd » Wed, 13 May 2015 12:06 pm

Some people really shouldn't be allowed to drive. I suspect that applies to a large percentage of the driving population in Sg if my morning commute is anything to go by

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 13 May 2015 12:26 pm

Some??? :???: Most! :x
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Primrose Hill
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Primrose Hill » Wed, 13 May 2015 12:32 pm

bgd wrote:Some people really shouldn't be allowed to drive. I suspect that applies to a large percentage of the driving population in Sg if my morning commute is anything to go by
OMG. It drives me crazy. Do they drive with their eyes closed? Their awareness is 300% not there - no idea what's happening on the next lane, behind or in front.

Primrose Hill
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Primrose Hill » Wed, 13 May 2015 12:36 pm

Sat next to a guy and he made a phone call to his AC servicing company. My air con is broke. I cannot on my air con. I think sensor is broken. So now heh I cannot on air con with remote control.

:shock: :shock: :shock: these are interns - GRADUATE INTERNS :shock: :shock:

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Thu, 11 Jun 2015 1:01 pm

Today's visit outside was hilarious.

A bus pulled into the bay and a young lady with a large bosom stepped off and walked down the path. Behind her was an old uncle in an electric wheelchair and he had obviously seen her.

As he motored past he looked left and had a nice long gawp at her ample assets.

Unfortunately this distraction mean't he failed to see the sign post he was approaching fast He crashed straight into the metal post.

Fortunately he was not hurt so it is just very funny :D

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Thu, 11 Jun 2015 3:19 pm

That's a Youtube moment - where is the video? ;-)

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Mon, 15 Jun 2015 8:06 am

bgd wrote:That's a Youtube moment - where is the video? ;-)
](*,) forgot to take the phone out with me. Given the events seem to be on a regular basis I will make sure I have the phone with me in the future.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 15 Jun 2015 9:58 am

Sometimes I feel the longer you live here the more it feels familiar, in some-ways like a Western country back home, but you just keep getting surprised that it's not.

Above and beyond the driving, and bicycles on pavements (or even mopeds):
- Near where we live there's an auntie who appears from time to time pushing an upright shopping trolley in front of her. Rather than walk on the pavement to the traffic light crossing (c30M), she crosses into the road and walks in the fast lane against the traffic. When she reaches the traffic light then she crosses, the other half of the road there.
- Motorised skate-boards/'scooters' on the roads. No protective gear, running traffic lights... I saw this again just this morning. Someone is going to end up under the wheels of a bus one day.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

menudown
Chatter
Chatter

Post by menudown » Mon, 15 Jun 2015 10:08 am

those motorise scooters or bicycles whatever they call it...were always seen on the neighbourhood main road without helmets or protective gear..i can say they went quite fast like 20 - 30 km/hr

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Tue, 16 Jun 2015 9:52 am

menudown wrote:those motorise scooters or bicycles whatever they call it...were always seen on the neighbourhood main road without helmets or protective gear..i can say they went quite fast like 20 - 30 km/hr
I wish the f*****s would stay on the road in Pasir Ris , they are zipping along at warp speed on the footpaths all the time.

Its only a matter of time before something very unfortunate happens.

With regards to cycling on roads , the majority of folks who do it near me are Chinese/Bangla overseas workers , they never use hand signals when crossing road or making turns. Even if you have never had formal cycling training , just for self preservations sake wouldnt you want someone behind you who can easily kill you to know your intentions?
Last edited by Barnsley on Tue, 16 Jun 2015 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 16 Jun 2015 10:39 am

Yesterday I saw something I haven't seen before. A man wearing what looked from a distance like a pair of ski boots going down the pavement at something between about 5-10 miles an hour. It wasn't clear what he was attached to that motorised his travel. No safety gear on. He was carrying shopping bags in each hand, therefore anyone on the pavement had to clear out of the way quick-time.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

menudown
Chatter
Chatter

Post by menudown » Tue, 16 Jun 2015 11:08 am

all this motorised two-wheelers need to be banned from the pedestrian pavement or have their own lane way...

Return to “General Discussions”