Singapore Expats

Has anyone heard of a vehicle GPS tracking system that can prevent theft?

Discuss anything relating to automotive here, from car leasing to buying a vehicle.
jtan161

Has anyone heard of a vehicle GPS tracking system that can prevent theft?

Post by jtan161 » Tue, 12 May 2015 2:38 pm

Hello all!

I am a new user of this forum and was wondering if anyone knows of a GPS tracking system that is installed in a car that can track the exact location / journey / speed of my car?

I was thinking of getting something that can track how my son uses my car :lol: so if he speeds or drive it into Malaysia without my knowledge at least I can get notified.

Thanks in advance!

menudown
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Has anyone heard of a vehicle GPS tracking system that can prevent theft?

Post by menudown » Tue, 02 Jun 2015 2:47 pm

not sure if this is available in sg:

http://www.tracking-system.com/for-cons ... overy.html

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 02 Jun 2015 4:15 pm

I don't think any of them will "prevent" theft. They will however track your vehicle for recovery purposes.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 02 Jun 2015 9:09 pm

If you were in the US, you could use this: http://www.lojack.com/. But, no coverage in SG.

Primrose Hill
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Primrose Hill » Wed, 03 Jun 2015 12:57 pm

When our car arrived from UK, we had a GPS anti theft tracker and it was mandatory with the car insurance. We kept paying the renewal fees until recently. And it was tracking from UK, strangely enough. the tracker is called Cobra but it doesnt have a SG office but do have a Malaysia office

menudown
Chatter
Chatter

Post by menudown » Wed, 03 Jun 2015 2:29 pm

jtan161 wrote:
I was thinking of getting something that can track how my son uses my car :lol: so if he speeds or drive it into Malaysia without my knowledge at least I can get notified.

Thanks in advance!
why not the in-car camera system...make it compulsory for him to record whenever he drive

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Wed, 03 Jun 2015 2:34 pm

menudown wrote:
jtan161 wrote:

Thanks in advance!
why not the in-car camera system...make it compulsory for him to record whenever he drive
That would be too late then, no?

menudown
Chatter
Chatter

Post by menudown » Wed, 03 Jun 2015 3:08 pm

same thing with the tracker I guess....he'll get notified only by the time his son is driving across the causeway :???:

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Wed, 03 Jun 2015 3:31 pm

menudown wrote:same thing with the tracker I guess....he'll get notified only by the time his son is driving across the causeway :???:
I meant, for the in-car camera system, it only records right? Daddy only gets to view it (and discover it) when he checks the recording, which could be days or even weeks after son's rendezvous. Unless the in-car camera system is synced to daddy's mobile and he sits around whole day looking through the camera.

menudown
Chatter
Chatter

Post by menudown » Wed, 03 Jun 2015 3:49 pm

the lynx wrote:
menudown wrote:same thing with the tracker I guess....he'll get notified only by the time his son is driving across the causeway :???:
I meant, for the in-car camera system, it only records right? Daddy only gets to view it (and discover it) when he checks the recording, which could be days or even weeks after son's rendezvous. Unless the in-car camera system is synced to daddy's mobile and he sits around whole day looking through the camera.
true :lol:

jonaroysg

Post by jonaroysg » Wed, 03 Jun 2015 6:49 pm

You need to think of something else. This tracking system wont work in SG

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Has anyone heard of a vehicle GPS tracking system that can prevent theft?

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 03 Jun 2015 7:37 pm

jonaroysg wrote:You need to think of something else. This tracking system wont work in SG
I was lazy to reply earlier

Car tracking solutions (or vehicle tracking solutions) abound in Singapore including some that doesn't allow a car to cross a set zone and immobilized the vehicle

And they have been in the market for more than 10 years.

In fact one of the large GLCs is a major supplier for government sector - SCDF and SPF, since 2005.

The issue with cross border tracking was the GPRS costs when roaming and that did make at least one start up by a NTU prof go belly up.

I am sure they have ironed out most of the kinks by now

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 05 Jun 2015 10:10 am

Yep. Most are based on a GPS/mobile network combo. Actually you can buy such logger from E-bay for less than S$30. If you are a DIY person (the OP is probably not) I don't see particularly challenging to add to it a GSM based alarm (cost below S$100) that would cut off fuel supply or do something similarly nice after receiving specific text command.

roger_1988

Post by roger_1988 » Sat, 20 Jun 2015 7:31 pm

There are some vehicle GPS tracking system that can prevent theft. U.S sells them, you might want to google or check on ebay to get the price. But they don't come in cheap compare to the normal ones.

wenber

Post by wenber » Mon, 03 Aug 2015 4:27 pm

Is it LTA compliant? Wait once installed inside car, kena checked by random spot checks