Singapore Expats

Oldest Australians in Singapore?

New here? Don't be shy. Introduce yourself here and expand your social network!
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Oldest Australians in Singapore?

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 17 May 2015 12:10 pm

angieh wrote:.
We are not married though and getting a long term visitor pass for me may be problematic. I am hoping to avoid the drastic step of a registry wedding by getting a job and my own employment pass. But I actually can't work out where my skill set fits in Singapore. My career is mostly in community services, currently senior manager in large disability organisation focussing on strategies in readiness for the implementation of National Disability Scheme. From what I see in the vacancies in Singapore, community service roles are virtually non-existent.
I do volunteer a bit at different organisations

In Singapore most associations supporting handicapped, of various disabilities, are almost are self funded, and the pay is low

The government has smartly refrained from competing with the dozens of private organisations, lest the efforts of the self funded groups be diluted, and opts for providing additional grants, subsidy, and cash assistance, when needed

One of my volunteer groups recently were donated 6 transport busses by a government agency, for example, all specially equipped to transport wheelchairs.

You can look up the groups at www.ncss.org.sg

If you like to volunteer on a long term role you can find something

Most of the NGOs here are but wary of foreigners on short stay volunteering because of various bad experiences and more

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Oldest Australians in Singapore?

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 20 May 2015 10:23 am

JR8 wrote:
PNGMK wrote:Enjoy. You'll find it hard to move back I suspect to Bris-boring-bane.
It's an interesting point. I think 'going home' is perhaps harder than moving here, as with the latter you have necessarily limited knowledge and few preconceptions - whereas 'going home', it's all preconceptions. But when you return you find many assumed aspects no longer apply or exist, hence you find yourself a stranger on your own home-turf.

Not only the neighbourhood, but your friends and family... e-mail, call, Facebook all you like... but that doesn't seem to prepare you for it.

[I hate it!]

:-k
Missionaries call it 'reverse culture shock'.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 20 May 2015 10:40 am

Reverse would be a shock for the Missionaries considering their position...... :-k :twisted:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 20 May 2015 12:17 pm

OMG.... did you... really ... just ... crack ... THAT? :lol:
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

maneo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by maneo » Wed, 20 May 2015 12:43 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Reverse would be a shock for the Missionaries considering their position...... :-k :twisted:

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 20 May 2015 1:30 pm

Per the subject title. One of my great uncles lived here, his later years, and died here, in his 80s or 90's. Married local, 'gone local', HDB, worked for SIA, local family 'n all. Somewhere up on the East Coast. That was back in the mid-90s. My parents were visiting and tracked him down, and paid a courtesy visit one time they were passing through... I didn't go, it was apparently not the easiest of visits.
There are probably more ol timers here than you imagine. But I think many are consciously or otherwise just gone off the western radar.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 20 May 2015 3:14 pm

Damn, that's hittin' pretty close to home! :-k
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 20 May 2015 3:43 pm

It was a ... weird thing. Weird as in quite hard to reconcile.
I lived so close.... but hadn't even heard of this chap until my parents arrived on holiday and intended to visit him. Somewhere up around Marine Parade, HDB, sea-views. That's about all I know.

He had a family too, the children must be in their 30s/40s now, distant relatives,... odder still.

Ships passing in the night....