Singapore Expats

a Singaporean writes a letter to the (paper's) Editor

Chats, Flames, Jokes, Junks. Don't know where to post ? You've just found the right place.
taxico
Director
Director

a Singaporean writes a letter to the (paper's) Editor

Post by taxico » Tue, 05 May 2015 7:14 pm

http://www.todayonline.com/voices/bette ... ay-instead

From Yeo Shuan Chee
Published: 6:09 PM, May 5, 2015

I am thankful that Friday, Aug 7, was declared a public holiday so that Singaporeans can have a super long weekend to rest and celebrate Singapore’s 50th birthday (“Aug 7 declared a public holiday for SG50 celebrations”; March 14, online).

Only those who do not have to work Saturdays, however, will get to enjoy the full four days of the holiday. Many others will have to return to work on Saturday after the additional day off and then get two rest days.

It would have been good if workers with this schedule were given more consideration and, instead of Friday, the Tuesday following the National Day public holiday had been declared the additional public holiday.

We would at least get three days of continuous holiday, without affecting those who do not work on Saturdays, who would still get a four-day weekend.

Nevertheless, we are thankful for an extra day off this year, but I hope people with a five-and-a-half-day working week will get a longer holiday in future, and we can feel more appreciated for the extra half day we put in weekly.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: a Singaporean writes a letter to the (paper's) Editor

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 07 May 2015 5:21 pm

He has a raised a very valid point. Many people forget the working week in Singapore is legally 44 hours and includes a half day on the weekend. I do like his very nice tinge of sarcasm.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 07 May 2015 5:58 pm

So do I. I'm one of those people who gets screwed every long holiday due to working half day on Saturdays!
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

curiousgeorge
Reporter
Reporter

Post by curiousgeorge » Thu, 07 May 2015 7:10 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:So do I. I'm one of those people who gets screwed every long holiday due to working half day on Saturdays!
I thought you only worked a half day every day? :-"

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 07 May 2015 7:27 pm

That still 6 days a week that I have to push these old bones off the bed and unto the floor at 6 am. I guess I should have rephrased it to say I have to be in the office 5.5 days a week. You are probably more right than I'd like to admit! LOL
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Tue, 12 May 2015 9:11 am

Just curious. You work every week for 5.5 days, or only on alternate week?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 12 May 2015 9:40 am

Every week, but we do get one Saturday off per month (unless needed) it's not fixed though but that's why I schedule the Eagles gatherings on a Friday well in advance so I can schedule my one off Saturday the next day. Really sucks, but what to do at 67. :-(