Singapore Expats

KL --> Singapore High Speed Train

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Re: KL --> Singapore High Speed Train

Post by Barnsley » Tue, 12 May 2015 11:40 am

Bye Bye another golf course in Singapore.

Jurong Country club will be the location for the new high speed terminal.

Sadly the terminal is not requiring a golf course to be integrated into it. :D :D :D
Life is short, paddle harder!!

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 12 May 2015 9:54 pm

JCC was/is a very expensive place to play. Hate to lose open space and a golf course, then again, not exactly accessible for me, given the fees.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sat, 16 May 2015 2:02 pm

Probably the distance would be like how one would walk to change lines in Outram Park, Buona Vista or Paya Lebar station.
I've admittedly only changed at Paya Lebar, but that is considered long? That's really short. Try changing at some lines in Hong kong, or even Tokyo. I would say a ~3-5 minute walk to transfer trains is normal and acceptable.

CaptainBullus
Regular
Regular

Post by CaptainBullus » Mon, 18 May 2015 1:49 am

As the Cross Island and Jurong lines and stations have yet to be finalised yet it shouldn't be too hard to integrate one or both lines into the High speed plans.

Primrose Hill
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Primrose Hill » Mon, 18 May 2015 2:17 pm

MY's budget deficit is huge, additionally by the time that those brown paper paperbags are paid, the HSR will be so over inflated its unreal.
HS1 in UK took over a decade before it was profitable.

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 18 May 2015 9:38 pm

Primrose Hill wrote:...additionally by the time that those brown paper paperbags are paid, the HSR will be so over inflated its unreal.
^^^^^
This!

A friend of mine in the service business in Malaysia was complaining that a few years ago, one only needed to bring a brown paper bag to the top dog, who would then ensure everyone down the food chain got her/his share of the bag, but that these days, everyone wants their own bag. Much more costly and risky.

MikeJones
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by MikeJones » Tue, 19 May 2015 12:12 pm

Had a very similar conversation with a colleague in the Philippines last month who was complaining that things were better under Marcos as there was only one corrupt person at the top to pay off whereas now every official in the decision making chain wants their cut before passing the contract/deal/whatever along.

Mike

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Tue, 19 May 2015 1:03 pm

I did hear of a company that ended up choosing Indonesia over the Philippines because only one brown bag is needed in Indonesia.

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 19 May 2015 10:02 pm

bgd wrote:I did hear of a company that ended up choosing Indonesia over the Philippines because only one brown bag is needed in Indonesia.
I have anecdotal evidence that Indonesia... at least Batam... is a "one bagger" country. Friends of mine moved from Singapore to a place they bought in Batam City. They had a container of furniture and household goods they wanted to bring over but they were delayed. Why? Because there was a general election in progress and until the new boss was elected/established, it was impossible to determine where the money chain would go to ensure that the container got through customs without issue. Once done, one bag did the trick.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Fri, 19 Jun 2015 9:36 pm

SINGAPORE - Singapore's Ministry of Transport (MOT) said in a statement on Friday that it was "surprised" by Malaysia's Land Public Transport Commission's (SPAD) recent statement that Malaysia preferred to terminate the High Speed Rail (HSR) at the existing CIQ (customs, immigration and quarantine) complex in Johor Bahru. -

A twist in the tale of high speed link between KL - Singapore
Life is short, paddle harder!!

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Sat, 20 Jun 2015 10:45 am

Flip flopping without discussing with Singapore? Some friend huh [-X

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 22 Jun 2015 9:37 am

I'm not surprised Malaysia pulls this one out, but I'd have expected Singapore to be very thorough during the internal planning/discussion stage before this was made public.