Singapore Expats

Smell of sewage today

Chats, Flames, Jokes, Junks. Don't know where to post ? You've just found the right place.
JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Smell of sewage today

Post by JR8 » Tue, 05 May 2015 4:16 pm

This is a slightly strange question I appreciate, but here goes...

I was out having a walk earlier today and I got a sudden very strong whiff of something like dog-poo. I continued on my way, but the smell did not go away. My initial reaction was then to check my shoes, in case I'd walked in any; nope. I returned back home and Googled for news that might explain it, keywords: 'broken sewer' etc. Nothing. By then I was really wondering if it was me, my imagination, or what :???:

I was still puzzled when our cleaner arrived, so much so I risked embarrassment by asking her if she had smelled it too, and if so what was it'?

She became very animated and replied: 'Yes, I smell this too! When I came out of the MRT* I could smell it, very strong!'

I live in the geographic middle of the island. The MRT is roughly 1km from our building, and when I was out walking I must have been about additional 1km away vs the MRT. So it seems the issue impacted quite some radius.

Did anyone else notice this?

p.s. Probably disconnected, but who knows; the wind seems to have changed direction from last night, much of the smog appears to have been blown away.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

Nihility
Regular
Regular

Re: Smell of sewage today

Post by Nihility » Tue, 05 May 2015 8:41 pm

Fresh fertiliser has been added to many roadside plants and trees today.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Re: Smell of sewage today

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 05 May 2015 9:14 pm

I believe it is a requirement that office buildings in Singapore have holding tanks in order to even out the rate at which effluent enters the sewage system... not 100 percent sure... and a malfunctioning vent could create that problem.