Singapore Expats

Help on Driving License - Tickets on Probation

Discuss how you can convert your foreign drivers' licence and other topics relating to drivers' licence.
piyushdabomb

Help on Driving License - Tickets on Probation

Post by piyushdabomb » Mon, 04 May 2015 3:29 pm

Hi Everyone,

I really need your help in finding a solution here. Given how strict Singapore is, my chances are slim, but I would like to find an urgent solution that can solve this problem.

I converted my US license to a Singapore license last year to receive a probationary license here in Singapore. As my "wedding" period was undergoing, my stress levels in preparing for my wedding also crept up, and as a result I made two fines that has taken my points ABOVE the 12 demerit points.

First, I actually transferred the first 3 points from my dad to my license in an effort to help him not get anymore points.

Second, I got majorly screwed because I got caught while talking on the phone while driving. It's a complete screw up, but I now am stuck with a lousy loss of 12 points.

With 3 points + 12 points, I've lost all my points.

Both point systems happened literally right when I was going through the wedding period, and the levels of stress at that time were EXTREMELY HECTIC. It was too much.

I really DO NOT want to start this 6 month process all over again and pay 4000 dollars.

Can someone please help save me from this?

Can I hire a lawyer?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Help on Driving License - Tickets on Probation

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 04 May 2015 3:35 pm

Sure you can. Then you loss will be anothe $4000 PLUS the cost of the lawyer which will be all for naught. If you try to tell them you took 3 points for your father, you will probably be up for charges for fraud as well as not having a driving license. Best you just cowboy up.

And frankly, if you were on your phone and driving, you deserve to have your license taken away permanently! :x
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 04 May 2015 6:12 pm

You're an idiot. You'll learn. As a bike rider I see you twats yapping on your cell phones all the time just as you try to knock me off. Go to hell.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 04 May 2015 6:29 pm

piyushdabomb wrote:First, I actually transferred the first 3 points from my dad to my license in an effort to help him not get anymore points.
Which alone is probably a criminal offence.
Really... your own father would agree to do that?

[I see an expensive and conflict ridden future ahead. Then again that might be 'per normal' in your family, so you won't notice the difference :)]
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

piyushdabomb

Post by piyushdabomb » Tue, 05 May 2015 6:54 am

Wow, no one asked for all these negative comments. I came here to get advice, nothing else.

1. I am a triathlete, I don't need another cyclist telling me what's right about talking on the phone. Your the idiot for not knowing the individual beforehand.

Also, there are MANY worse drivers than myself in SG. As a cyclist myself, I know how garbage the drivers in SG are.

2. You are ALLOWED to transfer your points to family members. If you don't know that, go read the literature.

Do you think Singapore, as smart the country claims it is will not catch this? Use your common sense.

-

Lastly, thanks for all the pathetic advice from all of you. Super helpful.

singapore eagle
Chatter
Chatter

Post by singapore eagle » Tue, 05 May 2015 8:32 am

Something's not right here. Since when have you been allowed to transfer demerit points within the family??

I'll be interested to see this 'literature'.

piyushdabomb

Post by piyushdabomb » Tue, 05 May 2015 8:39 am

I don't have the time looking for literature right now.

Go find it yourself.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 05 May 2015 8:49 am

I rode in Singapore for 4 years, not a single fine. The only fine I got was once for wrong parking, I appealed and it was waived off. I got warned twice by police, once for taking a turn in a no entry, near my house, the police were right behind me. I was just humble enough to apologize and I was let go then once more warned for riding without helmet in my HDB cluster, I was just bringing the bike out for wash from the car park.

Singapore is strict but at the same time they are very reasonable and let you off once or twice if you are remorseful and humble.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 05 May 2015 8:55 am

singapore eagle wrote:Something's not right here. Since when have you been allowed to transfer demerit points within the family??
The idea of being able to legally transfer punishment is a novel one. I could commit a crime and then sell my punishment to someone else. 'How much for 6 strokes of the cane?'
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Re: RE: Re: Help on Driving License - Tickets on Probation

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 05 May 2015 8:56 am

singapore eagle wrote:Something's not right here. Since when have you been allowed to transfer demerit points within the family??

I'll be interested to see this 'literature'.

It's not transferring. It is fraud. A car can be driven by many drivers and unlike bike the insurance is for the car and not the driver. If driver A is caught by the speed camera and he doesn't have enough points, he then asks driver B to take the blame, as the camera cannot catch the driver's picture. Some people are ready to take the blame because they are friends or family members, others for some "favor". I read in the papers sometime ago that somebody was fined massively for this fraud.

OP is Indian, so no surprises there that he doesn't see this as a fraud.

singapore eagle
Chatter
Chatter

Post by singapore eagle » Tue, 05 May 2015 8:58 am

OK, I'm glad we have this sorted out. Transferring demerit points within the family is a criminal offence.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 05 May 2015 9:44 am

Wow... piyushdabomb taking the piss... I had not realized that being a triathlete made talking on the phone legal.

I'm reminded of this joke... and piyushdabomb... be sure to tell them you are a triathlete as you pays your money and spends your time. You've got a lot to learn, sonny.

A DEA officer stopped at a ranch in Texas, and talked with an old rancher. He told the rancher, "I need to inspect your ranch for illegally grown drugs." The rancher said, "Okay , but don't go in that field over there.....", as he pointed out the location.

The DEA officer verbally exploded saying, " Mister, I have the authority of the Federal Government with me!" Reaching into his rear pants pocket, the arrogant officer removed his badge and proudly displayed it to the rancher. "See this badge?! This badge means I am allowed to go wherever I wish.... On any land !! No questions asked or answers given!! Have I made myself clear?.... do you understand?!!"

The rancher nodded politely, apologized, and went about his chores. A short time later, the old rancher heard loud screams, looked up, and saw the DEA officer running for his life, being chased by the rancher's big Santa Gertrudis bull...... With every step the bull was gaining ground on the officer, and it seemed likely that he'd sure enough get gored before he reached safety. The officer was clearly terrified. The rancher threw down his tools, ran to the fence and yelled at the top of his lungs.....

"Your badge, show him your BADGE!!"

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Help on Driving License - Tickets on Probation

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 05 May 2015 9:52 am

piyushdabomb wrote:.
2. You are ALLOWED to transfer your points to family members. If you don't know that, go read the literature.
Me holding a SG DL for more than 10 years ... I would love to have known about transfer of points

Or are we talking about Airline points or Credit Card Points ?

Do us a favour, show where it says your penalty points can be transferred .. .please

Primrose Hill
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Primrose Hill » Tue, 05 May 2015 1:25 pm

There's a letter that comes with the fine and points with some tick box exercise. It is on one of those boxes whereby you ticked that these points belongs to XYZ as I was not driving blah blah blah. I think thats what pbomb meant by transferring his points.

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Tue, 05 May 2015 1:35 pm

I think you are right. I almost 'took one for the team' when my daughter picked up 3 points in the UK last year but the Police are no longer obliged to send out the photographs of the incident so we didn't risk it.

Of course it is illegal and I would not recommend it.