Singapore Expats Forum

UK EXPAT - ELECTORAL REGISTER - HIRE CAR PROBLEM

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

User avatar
martincymru
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 460
Joined: Thu, 16 Oct 2008
Location: out & about

Re: UK EXPAT - ELECTORAL REGISTER - HIRE CAR PROBLEM

Postby martincymru » Thu, 07 May 2015 4:40 pm

Primrose: I would be interested to know what action you are going to take.

I believe Steve is correct: "do not have a legal UK address on your driving license as it is illegal to give a UK permanent address and not pay council tax".

Sg Eagle: So which licence are you using when you go back to UK?

Residency is the key not permanent address.

Question: The hire car company check the electoral or the open register or both? If electoral then they would see your SG address and note that it does match your UK licence address. Electoral register is for "checking credit applications". Does Hire Car fall into this category?
Cannot "hide" your details on Electoral register.

If they check the open register (which they have to buy) and you have elected for your name not to be included then how can they affirm your address?

User avatar
PNGMK
Director
Director
Posts: 4996
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013
Location: Sinkapore

Re: UK EXPAT - ELECTORAL REGISTER - HIRE CAR PROBLEM

Postby PNGMK » Thu, 07 May 2015 5:22 pm

singapore eagle wrote:Here's my 2 cents, based on personal experience...

I obtained a Singapore licence back in 2010 by taking the theory test and converting my UK licence. The Singapore authorities didn't take my UK licence, nor, to my knowledge, did they enter into any contact with the DVLA. As far as the DVLA are concerned, my UK licence remains intact.

My UK licence currently has my parents' address on it. I consider this to be my permanent address in the UK.

I think, therefore, that I have 2 valid driving licence - UK and SG. But I may be wrong.


In Australia you technically cannot hold a license for a state unless you actually reside there. I use the same loophole as above but it's contentious at best.
I have gay, black, Asian friends and then JR8.

singapore eagle
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 190
Joined: Sun, 30 Jun 2013

Re: UK EXPAT - ELECTORAL REGISTER - HIRE CAR PROBLEM

Postby singapore eagle » Thu, 07 May 2015 7:06 pm

martincymru wrote:Sg Eagle: So which licence are you using when you go back to UK?


I've only driven once in the UK since I moved to Singapore (in 2010) and, to be honest, I didn't give the matter any thought. I was driving my parents car, not a hire car.

singapore eagle
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 190
Joined: Sun, 30 Jun 2013

Re: UK EXPAT - ELECTORAL REGISTER - HIRE CAR PROBLEM

Postby singapore eagle » Thu, 07 May 2015 7:07 pm

I've sent the DVLA an email to see if they can shed any light on this issue. Text as follows (for future reference, in case this absent when I come to paste their reply).



Hi

I have two driver licensing queries that I am hoping you can help with.

1) I recently moved overseas. I noted that the DVLA would not be able to change the address on my driver's licence to my overseas address. When I come back for a holiday in the summer, will my UK licence still be valid? The address on the licence is still the house (my parents house) that I will be living in for the duration of the holiday and I will be contactable via that address thereafter.

2) In Singapore, I am able to 'convert' my UK licence into a Singapore licence. When I go through this process, will the Singapore authorities notify DVLA and will my UK licence be cancelled? Will I have to apply for a new UK licence on my return to the UK?

Many thanks for your help.

Steve1960
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1106
Joined: Mon, 13 Aug 2012
Location: Singapore

Re: UK EXPAT - ELECTORAL REGISTER - HIRE CAR PROBLEM

Postby Steve1960 » Thu, 07 May 2015 9:57 pm

I have taken a (relatively safe?) option. Mum is adding me to the electoral register at her address from 1st June and I will pay the council tax increase. When I get there later next month I will hire a car or drive mothers car on the basis that the electoral register, driving license and bank account all show the same address.

User avatar
martincymru
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 460
Joined: Thu, 16 Oct 2008
Location: out & about

Re: UK EXPAT - ELECTORAL REGISTER - HIRE CAR PROBLEM

Postby martincymru » Fri, 08 May 2015 4:02 am

Steve: "all show the same address [UK]".
But the UK address you gave is not your residential address (as obligated by law), any comment?

Sg Eagle: If the Police (or others in authority) stop you your licence is invalid. Big problem. Comment please.
Also, how did you inform DVLA of your new address when '"since I moved to Singapore (in 2010)" ?

singapore eagle
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 190
Joined: Sun, 30 Jun 2013

Re: UK EXPAT - ELECTORAL REGISTER - HIRE CAR PROBLEM

Postby singapore eagle » Fri, 08 May 2015 5:14 am

Martin: I think this thread highlights that I haven't thought about this as much as I should! I switched everything (bank accounts, credit cards, driving licence, etc.) to my parents at the point when I moved in 2009. The only time I have driven in the UK since than was 2010 - I won't take matters as lightly again.

Let's see what the DVLA says. I'm not sure I can find anything on the web that makes matters quite as clear as you are suggesting, so their clarification will help all of us.

singapore eagle
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 190
Joined: Sun, 30 Jun 2013

Re: UK EXPAT - ELECTORAL REGISTER - HIRE CAR PROBLEM

Postby singapore eagle » Wed, 13 May 2015 8:23 am

singapore eagle wrote:I've sent the DVLA an email to see if they can shed any light on this issue. Text as follows (for future reference, in case this absent when I come to paste their reply).

Hi

I have two driver licensing queries that I am hoping you can help with.

1) I recently moved overseas. I noted that the DVLA would not be able to change the address on my driver's licence to my overseas address. When I come back for a holiday in the summer, will my UK licence still be valid? The address on the licence is still the house (my parents house) that I will be living in for the duration of the holiday and I will be contactable via that address thereafter.

2) In Singapore, I am able to 'convert' my UK licence into a Singapore licence. When I go through this process, will the Singapore authorities notify DVLA and will my UK licence be cancelled? Will I have to apply for a new UK licence on my return to the UK?

Many thanks for your help.


Reply received from DVLA as follows.

1) I can confirm that if the UK licence is in date, this can be used for driving purposes in the UK. Your driving entitlement remains valid until the date showing on the reverse of the photocard licence (Column 11).

2) If you exchange your UK licence to a Singapore licence, the Singapore Licensing Authority will return your UK licence to DVLA. Your UK licence will no longer be valid after the exchange.

Primrose Hill
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 433
Joined: Tue, 05 Aug 2008

Re: UK EXPAT - ELECTORAL REGISTER - HIRE CAR PROBLEM

Postby Primrose Hill » Wed, 13 May 2015 10:57 am

So, technically, our UK driving license is still valid then? Talk about contradictory and I am just as confused - is no.2 - LTA did not ask us for our UK driving license back.

So, what's the verdict?

Steve1960
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1106
Joined: Mon, 13 Aug 2012
Location: Singapore

Re: UK EXPAT - ELECTORAL REGISTER - HIRE CAR PROBLEM

Postby Steve1960 » Wed, 13 May 2015 1:10 pm

I don't know, strange response from the DVLA. I am going with remaining on the UK electoral register at Mum's house and paying council tax just to play safe (ish) until I pass the Singapore driving test!

User avatar
martincymru
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 460
Joined: Thu, 16 Oct 2008
Location: out & about

Re: UK EXPAT - ELECTORAL REGISTER - HIRE CAR PROBLEM

Postby martincymru » Mon, 18 May 2015 9:40 am

So we are ok then? Your residence is irrelevant, the expiry date is the only critical factor?

I am not convinced, will research and revert.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Re: UK EXPAT - ELECTORAL REGISTER - HIRE CAR PROBLEM

Postby JR8 » Mon, 18 May 2015 10:46 am

martincymru wrote:So we are ok then? Your residence is irrelevant, the expiry date is the only critical factor?
I am not convinced, will research and revert.


Yeah I still don't get it, but it seems to be one of those weeks.
Go away expatted and your lifetime driving licence is expired and you have to pay tax on your home.
I'm still not sure what is meant to change with your driving ability, simply from living abroad for a while.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

Primrose Hill
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 433
Joined: Tue, 05 Aug 2008

Re: UK EXPAT - ELECTORAL REGISTER - HIRE CAR PROBLEM

Postby Primrose Hill » Mon, 18 May 2015 10:58 am

JR8 wrote:
martincymru wrote:So we are ok then? Your residence is irrelevant, the expiry date is the only critical factor?
I am not convinced, will research and revert.


Yeah I still don't get it, but it seems to be one of those weeks.
Go away expatted and your lifetime driving licence is expired and you have to pay tax on your home.
I'm still not sure what is meant to change with your driving ability, simply from living abroad for a while.

I dont get it either. I mean the driving license. The CGT, that's just the greedy govt, that's moved from centered to left. Lets keep punishing the middle class folks that actually work hard, save their pennies, do reasonably well, take care of themselves in their old age

Steve1960
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1106
Joined: Mon, 13 Aug 2012
Location: Singapore

Re: UK EXPAT - ELECTORAL REGISTER - HIRE CAR PROBLEM

Postby Steve1960 » Mon, 18 May 2015 12:01 pm

I can understand car hire companies, which is where this thread started, wanting verification of address to avoid fraud and the electoral register would seem the best way to do that. The Police and insurance companies too?

User avatar
martincymru
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 460
Joined: Thu, 16 Oct 2008
Location: out & about

Re: UK EXPAT - ELECTORAL REGISTER - HIRE CAR PROBLEM

Postby martincymru » Mon, 18 May 2015 2:16 pm

Steve1960 wrote:I can understand car hire companies, which is where this thread started, wanting verification of address to avoid fraud and the electoral register would seem the best way to do that. The Police and insurance companies too?


Yes, I/we got side tracked.

Perhaps your UK licence is ok legally even if it shows an [incorrect] "old" address. But has anybody sent it back to DVLA (in good faith) informing them of their "new" overseas address? Maybe that would be a stupid thing to do since DVLA will retain (not issue to your new overseas address!).

Notwithstanding, any entity wishing to check/confirm (by whatever means) that you live at your "old" address (stamped on your licence) will be unable to do so. This, for sure, means "problems", IMHO.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests