Singapore Expats

UK EXPAT - ELECTORAL REGISTER - HIRE CAR PROBLEM

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
martincymru
Reporter
Reporter

Re: UK EXPAT - ELECTORAL REGISTER - HIRE CAR PROBLEM

Post by martincymru » Fri, 26 Jun 2015 4:00 pm

OK it's an old post now but anyone been to the UK since my original posting and can update me.

Also the UK govt have now done away with the paper licence. Does this have implications when attempting to hire a car?

martincymru
Reporter
Reporter

Post by martincymru » Fri, 01 Apr 2016 10:40 am

It's an old posting by me but in June 2016 I go to the UK again for a holiday and was wondering if anyone else is experiencing problems viz hiring a car when in UK.

Recap: my resident address is Sg but my licence says UK address. Car Hire Company in UK cannot verify my UK address 'cos I am not on electoral role.

What's the best way forward on this dilemma?

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Fri, 01 Apr 2016 2:40 pm

Conversion to a Singapore license?

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 01 Apr 2016 4:06 pm

MC: Oh 'this circular thing again' :p
... and IIRC you can't replace an old paper license with a new Euro one unless physically resident in the UK. It was an end-point like that I got to when I looked into it, and concluded I could get no further.

But taking your point on further...
- How do car hire companies rent cars to any foreigners? Can't see they'd be able to access foreign electoral rolls etc. Surely the UK hire companies can answer this, it must come up often enough...
- Why don't you get yourself put on the electoral roll? Check the website for the council where you last lived in the UK, and what the current eligibility criteria are. My MP was very happy to help me do this (naturally), esp as I nominated his agent to be my permanent proxy to cast votes in all future elections. Once that registration was done, I received a letter from my previous UK council to my foreign address headed: 'Special Category Elector Renewal Form' confirming that I was recorded under that category.

Good luck, I'd be interested in how you get on.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

martincymru
Reporter
Reporter

Post by martincymru » Fri, 01 Apr 2016 5:48 pm

JR8:
Last year Hertz initially refused. I had to see the supervisor then, after debate, I had to change to my Sg address. It was an uncomfortable feeling and I got the impression they may not always be so accommodating.

I never thought to go to the MP and get a proxy. Great idea.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 01 Apr 2016 6:03 pm

re: Votes
Google on 'uk expat right to vote'
Lot's seems to come up, including...
http://www.euronews.com/2016/02/27/as-a ... eferendum/
'How British expats can vote in the UK EU referendum'

But re: that precise sub-topic ^, the government went to some lengths last year to exclude expats voting in BREXIT (wadda surprise). Your rights to vote in UK elections run deeper than just the to-and-fro over the BREXIT vote though. Your ex-local council www should detail how to register. Worst case your MP can likely help. Either way you then appear on the UK electoral roll.

And, you can nominate say a family member to 'proxy' vote on your behalf*. But then that only works if they live in or near your electoral ward. I.e I could have nominated my father, but he's not going to drive 300 miles R/T to cast my vote. Hence making my MPs assistant, aka 'agent', my permanent proxy. That strongly incentivised my MP to help me get the necessary forms and file them for me, which made the job easier...

* You can apply for a postal vote, but the turn around time required is potentially so short, that was IME/O simply not a viable solution, at least not from Asia.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard