Singapore Expats

2nd Gen PR ceased as Minor; can apply for EP?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
cyphr666

2nd Gen PR ceased as Minor; can apply for EP?

Post by cyphr666 » Sat, 02 May 2015 2:27 pm

Hi,

i was a second gen PR who left Singapore during the Asian crisis in 1998, and later my parents renounced my PR before i was 18.

Now i have employment opportunity in SIngapore - will my EP application be adversely impacted?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: 2nd Gen PR ceased as Minor; can apply for EP?

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 02 May 2015 3:58 pm

Did you do your NS obligation? if no, you can forget about ever getting an EP application approved unless you are a top-notch neurosurgeon, and even that is doubtful. You never "sh*t in your own nest" But I'm not sure whether you or your parents were responsible for that (probably your parents - thinking they could pull one over on the gahment here. If it was their decision, be sure to give them thanks for royally screwing your life up, with regards to coming back to Singapore.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

cyphr666

Post by cyphr666 » Sat, 02 May 2015 6:47 pm

No - there was simply no option to remain for them, without a job or a home.

How is all of this evaluated ? Is there an interview or something to solicit the context?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 02 May 2015 8:10 pm

There isn't any context. It's the law. Your parents knew the law when they got PR for you. If you held PR after the age of 11 you are obligated to do NS. Leaving Singapore doesn't relieve you of that responsibilty. I would suggest you head to the Strictly Speaking sub-forum under the General Forum and start reading our voluminous research and threads on the subject matter to get a good grounding of how deep the brown stuff is. Seriously. Take the time to read. It would be well worth your while (although it may take you several days to digest all of it).

Do you know what PR stands for? "Permanent Residence" Apparently your parents forgot, or they just took it up to try to abuse the system. Sadly, you are now caught between a rock and a hard place thanks to your parents. There is nobody else to blame.

I'll also make a bet that you are from the sub-continent, right?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

bro75
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by bro75 » Sun, 03 May 2015 9:04 pm

According to the ICA, renouncing your PR before doing your NS will have an adverse effect on your future employment application in Singapore. They did not specifically say that you are banned from employment as they want the flexibility of being able to approve or reject your application as the need arises. Now there is renouncing your PR to avoid NS and there is renouncing PR involuntarily due to your parent's job loss or other reasons. The only thing you can do is to apply for the EP but do not make any final decisions (such as resigning from your current job) until your IPA has been issued. If your IPA is issued, then all is forgiven (but maybe not forgotten) by the ICA.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 03 May 2015 10:18 pm

Singapore is the cruellest of mistresses. You're in as long as you play her game. Otherwise you're out , completely.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard