Singapore Expats

Local School or International School for foreigner

Interested to get your child into a local Primary School? Discuss the opportunities here.
parivinu

Local School or International School for foreigner

Post by parivinu » Mon, 27 Apr 2015 4:10 pm

Hello Everyone,

Good day.
I have 15 month old daughter who is in India and would like to bring her here probably at 23 months and joining preschool for full day as both me and my husband are Software Engineers and employment pass holders.. I have very limited knowledge about schooling in Singapore. Would be great help and appreciate if I get good guidance and suggestions. Pros and Cons for the same . As some say Local school is good but stressful and others say International School is gud. but very expensive . Thinking we might relocate to other countries probably after 10 years. Please suggest us
1. whether local or international school are the best As I want my Little one to get along with other nationality people too.
2. Which is school is the best in East part of Singapore As we stay near East coast park Bedok ?

Expectations :
1.Academic curriculum
2.Creativity
3.Independent thinking and problem solving
4.Teacher to pupil ratio
5.English Language fluency
5. Multi cultural Environment
6. Extra Curricular Activities

Thanks a ton..

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Local School or International School for foreigner

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 27 Apr 2015 7:41 pm

You will find it extremely difficult to get a place in the local school system, truth be known.

Therefore, the Int'l Schools are your only real bet. As you are Indians that will leave you will two basic choices (there may be a third). They are :

http://www.dps.edu.sg/html/index0.htm and http://www.giissingapore.org/

As to which is the better, I would suggest you ask members of the MBA Thread: http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/viewforum.php?f=58
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

saran

Post by saran » Tue, 28 Apr 2015 9:08 am

One more to add in the list is NPS..
http://www.npsinternational.com.sg/

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 28 Apr 2015 9:48 am

SMS, at the preschool level, there are lots of choices; the PAP kindergartens(PCF), not -for-profit community kindergartens as well as expensive private kindergartens. All of these are very easy to get in, for foreigners.There is no reason to send to Indian schools as such young age. Its only from Primary school level that choices start becoming limited for foreigners.

Also I know some rich expatty type Indians also dont send their kids to the Indian int'l schools at the preschool level. They send them to those expensive private kindergartens. There is one called Dynamic in Katong area, apparently their teaching std is very high, lots of extra curricular activities as well as Hindi option. Fees though is like $550 per month and then school bus fees of another 200 odd I guess. A community kindergarten will cost only $200 a month.

parivinu

Post by parivinu » Tue, 28 Apr 2015 11:10 am

Thanks for the replies. Being in foreign country I would rather send my kid to multi national schools than Indian like schools As I want my kid to gel with other nationalities too. Sure I will take a look on those kindergardens Thanks.
Is there any International School near East coast ( Marine paride, Tampines, Bedok, Changi ,Katong and other localities near by east coast) which is slightly cheaper compare to other Top International Schools which charge super high with gud track of academics excellence.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 28 Apr 2015 11:20 am

Here is the full list of kindergartens:

https://www.google.com.sg/url?sa=t&rct= ... 5533,d.d2s

Your child at 23 months wont get admission into kindergarten. For Nursery level, your child needs to be 3 year completed by 1st Jan of the year, to enrol during that year.

If your child is 2 years by Jan next year, you can enrol her in playgroup like Apple Tree, Star Tots etc

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 28 Apr 2015 11:27 am

Oops I just realized, you are looking for full day preschool. The list I mentioned, is not for full day. Full day preschools are difficult to find, leave alone trying to find the best one. Locals also are mostly like you, both working members and send their child to full day care/preschool. So they are always on waiting list. You will have to call a lot of schools and find out if they have vacancy.

parivinu

Post by parivinu » Tue, 28 Apr 2015 11:45 am

Thanks for the info WD40 .. will research further ..

MomKiasu

Post by MomKiasu » Fri, 15 May 2015 11:24 am

parivinu wrote:Hello Everyone,

Good day.
I have 15 month old daughter who is in India and would like to bring her here probably at 23 months and joining preschool for full day as both me and my husband are Software Engineers and employment pass holders.. I have very limited knowledge about schooling in Singapore. Would be great help and appreciate if I get good guidance and suggestions. Pros and Cons for the same . As some say Local school is good but stressful and others say International School is gud. but very expensive . Thinking we might relocate to other countries probably after 10 years. Please suggest us
1. whether local or international school are the best As I want my Little one to get along with other nationality people too.
2. Which is school is the best in East part of Singapore As we stay near East coast park Bedok ?

Expectations :
1.Academic curriculum
2.Creativity
3.Independent thinking and problem solving
4.Teacher to pupil ratio
5.English Language fluency
5. Multi cultural Environment
6. Extra Curricular Activities

Thanks a ton..
Hi Parivinu! That will depends on the kind of environment you wish to expose your child to.
International School - Play and learn:)
Local School - Follow the book:)

In my opinion, a child’s attitude towards learning is more important. Just my 2 cents? :)
Last edited by MomKiasu on Fri, 15 May 2015 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 15 May 2015 12:36 pm

Provided that they can even get into a Local School. It's getting harder and harder and the openings may well be in a location and the other end of the island from where you are staying. I don't see it becoming easier in the future either. In fact, with the current attitudes here, I can see the local school system becoming closed to foreigners unless they have PR as a minimum. I would hate to see that happen but all signs are progressively pointing that direction.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

American
Regular
Regular

Post by American » Mon, 13 Jul 2015 2:40 am

parivinu wrote:Thanks for the replies. Being in foreign country I would rather send my kid to multi national schools than Indian like schools As I want my kid to gel with other nationalities too. Sure I will take a look on those kindergardens Thanks.
Is there any International School near East coast ( Marine paride, Tampines, Bedok, Changi ,Katong and other localities near by east coast) which is slightly cheaper compare to other Top International Schools which charge super high with gud track of academics excellence.

There are many options in the East Coast that are cheaper. Depending on your kids age, there is Eton House on Mountbatten which is a pretty good school. We toured and really like the language programs, and the nice big yard and international environment. Kids from so many different countries there. Chatsworth also has an East Coast school that you may want to consider. I have friends with children there and they love it.