Singapore Expats Forum

Got a job offer for 200S$ + Bonus - Can I live like a rockstar?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.

Sponsored by:
Image
AE Logistics - Movers & Storage

Hulusi
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu, 23 Apr 2015

Got a job offer for 200S$ + Bonus - Can I live like a rockstar?

Postby Hulusi » Fri, 24 Apr 2015 12:18 am

Hello all,

I am quite new for forums. But I really need some help;

So, I got a job offer for 200S$ in Singapore.

I am married and have a 2 year old kid. We want to send the kid to an International School / kindergarten. So the question is can I live a luxurious life with this income?

Right now I live in St Petersburg / Russia, earning aprx same and financially speaking, I am quite relax, I even say I live a luxurious life.

I have 120 m2 flat in the center looking at the river bank, I drive and Audi A7, me & wife usually wear designers & we go out once or twice a week and spend money like crazy when we do. However, I still can save up to 60 - 80 k USD / year.

What about Singapore? I know its expensive but how expensive?

I can make compromises, like no car, less "fine dining"... But will that be enough?

I really need some help about this cause it kinda is a life changing event.

Thank you

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Re: Got a job offer for 200S$ + Bonus - Can I live like a rockstar?

Postby JR8 » Fri, 24 Apr 2015 4:44 am

Hulusi wrote:Hello all,
I am quite new for forums. But I really need some help;
So, I got a job offer for 200S$ in Singapore.
I am married and have a 2 year old kid. We want to send the kid to an International School / kindergarten. So the question is can I live a luxurious life with this income?
Right now I live in St Petersburg / Russia, earning aprx same and financially speaking, I am quite relax, I even say I live a luxurious life.
I have 120 m2 flat in the center looking at the river bank, I drive and Audi A7, me & wife usually wear designers & we go out once or twice a week and spend money like crazy when we do. However, I still can save up to 60 - 80 k USD / year.
What about Singapore? I know its expensive but how expensive?
I can make compromises, like no car, less "fine dining"... But will that be enough?
I really need some help about this cause it kinda is a life changing event.
Thank you


Hi Hulusi! [sounds like an Ethiopian Emporer-King] :)

The income/wealth/spending disparity here is huge, so it's not straight-forward to 'translate'. You can live here very cheaply, but also the sky=limit is quite possible too. Also St Petersburg, I reckon most of us here won't be familiar with the typical costs there...

Have a look through a couple of topics:
viewtopic.php?t=101985
'GUIDE: Where should I/we consider living?'
and
viewtopic.php?t=89846&start=15
'Cost of Living Comparison'

Let's just say that by most measures, an income of $200k, for most people, should equate to a very good standard of living. You can use the above to gauge core costs, if you start with the big ones you'll get an idea. Where might you wish to live, and what will it cost. What will schooling cost? Being willing to do without a car will be a very big saver here. Designer clothing etc.... don't know, but if needs be you can buy that on trips home so probably doesn't figure much.

Like everyone you'll find some of the major adjustments easier to make. Friday's down at the club popping bottles of vintage Krug over each other is one vice that might have to be shelved here though :wink:

Read through the above linked topics. That'll give you an idea on housing, schooling, taxes, and travel. That should form a solid foundation to further consideration.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

Hulusi
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu, 23 Apr 2015

Re: Got a job offer for 200S$ + Bonus - Can I live like a rockstar?

Postby Hulusi » Fri, 24 Apr 2015 6:48 pm

JR8 wrote:
Hulusi wrote:Hello all,
I am quite new for forums. But I really need some help;
So, I got a job offer for 200S$ in Singapore.
I am married and have a 2 year old kid. We want to send the kid to an International School / kindergarten. So the question is can I live a luxurious life with this income?
Right now I live in St Petersburg / Russia, earning aprx same and financially speaking, I am quite relax, I even say I live a luxurious life.
I have 120 m2 flat in the center looking at the river bank, I drive and Audi A7, me & wife usually wear designers & we go out once or twice a week and spend money like crazy when we do. However, I still can save up to 60 - 80 k USD / year.
What about Singapore? I know its expensive but how expensive?
I can make compromises, like no car, less "fine dining"... But will that be enough?
I really need some help about this cause it kinda is a life changing event.
Thank you


Hi Hulusi! [sounds like an Ethiopian Emporer-King] :)

The income/wealth/spending disparity here is huge, so it's not straight-forward to 'translate'. You can live here very cheaply, but also the sky=limit is quite possible too. Also St Petersburg, I reckon most of us here won't be familiar with the typical costs there...

Have a look through a couple of topics:
viewtopic.php?t=101985
'GUIDE: Where should I/we consider living?'
and
viewtopic.php?t=89846&start=15
'Cost of Living Comparison'

Let's just say that by most measures, an income of $200k, for most people, should equate to a very good standard of living. You can use the above to gauge core costs, if you start with the big ones you'll get an idea. Where might you wish to live, and what will it cost. What will schooling cost? Being willing to do without a car will be a very big saver here. Designer clothing etc.... don't know, but if needs be you can buy that on trips home so probably doesn't figure much.

Like everyone you'll find some of the major adjustments easier to make. Friday's down at the club popping bottles of vintage Krug over each other is one vice that might have to be shelved here though :wink:

Read through the above linked topics. That'll give you an idea on housing, schooling, taxes, and travel. That should form a solid foundation to further consideration.


Thank you very much

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6837
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Re: Got a job offer for 200S$ + Bonus - Can I live like a rockstar?

Postby zzm9980 » Fri, 24 Apr 2015 8:11 pm

Based on the "rockstar" life you describe (since everyone has a different definition), I'm guessing you'd need at least 300k, probably closer to 400k per year.

Hulusi wrote:I have 120 m2 flat in the center looking at the river bank, I drive and Audi A7, me & wife usually wear designers & we go out once or twice a week and spend money like crazy when we do. However, I still can save up to 60 - 80 k USD / year.

What about Singapore? I know its expensive but how expensive?


Yes, it is expensive. You will not be able to live that lifestyle on 200k, let alone also save 60-80k USD. That savings would be half of your salary or more. International School will be 3-4k per month. An Audi A7 will be 3-4k per month for 5 (after ~160k down). Comparable condo rent would be 5-7k/month in Singapore, depending on area. See where I'm going?

Now, you can give up the car. Live in a nice (but smaller) condo in a nice area for 3-4.5k/month. Kid can go to the International School, and live better than most of the people here. Also be OK with saving a bit less.

Hulusi
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu, 23 Apr 2015

Re: Got a job offer for 200S$ + Bonus - Can I live like a rockstar?

Postby Hulusi » Fri, 24 Apr 2015 8:32 pm

zzm9980 wrote:Based on the "rockstar" life you describe (since everyone has a different definition), I'm guessing you'd need at least 300k, probably closer to 400k per year.

Hulusi wrote:I have 120 m2 flat in the center looking at the river bank, I drive and Audi A7, me & wife usually wear designers & we go out once or twice a week and spend money like crazy when we do. However, I still can save up to 60 - 80 k USD / year.

What about Singapore? I know its expensive but how expensive?


Yes, it is expensive. You will not be able to live that lifestyle on 200k, let alone also save 60-80k USD. That savings would be half of your salary or more. International School will be 3-4k per month. An Audi A7 will be 3-4k per month for 5 (after ~160k down). Comparable condo rent would be 5-7k/month in Singapore, depending on area. See where I'm going?

Now, you can give up the car. Live in a nice (but smaller) condo in a nice area for 3-4.5k/month. Kid can go to the International School, and live better than most of the people here. Also be OK with saving a bit less.


Closer to 400 is probably what I need, I agree :o

However, I am trying to draw a red line for me before starting negotiations with the company. 300? 250? The first offer was 200 but I am sure they would go up to 250. 300, not so sure..

So, I made an excel table yesterday with the information / prices I found on web - I can share it... I filled it with our spending habits.

I calculated our cost would be 250 S$ / year - w/o saving. That didn't include a car though :oops: . Another 75 aside for bad days; I believe I would need draw the line for 300S$, ballpark. Its before income tax; therefore ~350 S$ is the number I search for. Exactly what you have told me.

I want to accept the offer, I want to try SG, but I am not so sure if it would be a viable financial decision..
Anyways, one last question; my wife doesnt work here but she wants to. Can she find a decent job in SG? Or lets say what is the possibility? Lets assume she doesnt have any connection / help and will look for a job on internet or smth.

She doesnt have a great working experience though because of the kid; only 3 years of total experience. Yet she has MSc engineering and knows 4 languages (none of them is any Asian language).. I dont know 5000$ / month maybe? What do you say??

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6837
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Re: Got a job offer for 200S$ + Bonus - Can I live like a rockstar?

Postby zzm9980 » Sat, 25 Apr 2015 1:13 pm

Hulusi wrote:Closer to 400 is probably what I need, I agree :o

However, I am trying to draw a red line for me before starting negotiations with the company. 300? 250? The first offer was 200 but I am sure they would go up to 250. 300, not so sure..

So, I made an excel table yesterday with the information / prices I found on web - I can share it... I filled it with our spending habits.

I calculated our cost would be 250 S$ / year - w/o saving. That didn't include a car though :oops: . Another 75 aside for bad days; I believe I would need draw the line for 300S$, ballpark. Its before income tax; therefore ~350 S$ is the number I search for. Exactly what you have told me.

I want to accept the offer, I want to try SG, but I am not so sure if it would be a viable financial decision..
Anyways, one last question; my wife doesnt work here but she wants to. Can she find a decent job in SG? Or lets say what is the possibility? Lets assume she doesnt have any connection / help and will look for a job on internet or smth.

She doesnt have a great working experience though because of the kid; only 3 years of total experience. Yet she has MSc engineering and knows 4 languages (none of them is any Asian language).. I dont know 5000$ / month maybe? What do you say??


It's really hard to answer this because a lot of the factors we're now talking about are subjective and can't be quantified.

Jobs are available, but I have no idea what your wife actually does or would want to do.
3 years experience with an MSc, 5k may be pushing it unless she fills a really desirable niche. Find an MNC based in one of the countries that use a language she speaks well (English doesn't count), and you may be able to boost the salary a bit also.

Everything else is going to come down to life-style choices for you. Most people in Singapore making the numbers you're talking will usually feel like they're living rather well. That said, most of them didn't come from a pseudo-russian mafioso lifestyle previously :D :D

How much do you like hot humid weather vs. St Petersburg? :)

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3788
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Re: Got a job offer for 200S$ + Bonus - Can I live like a rockstar?

Postby Wd40 » Sat, 25 Apr 2015 4:25 pm

zzm9980 wrote:That said, most of them didn't come from a pseudo-russian mafioso lifestyle previously :D :D



Reminds me of this :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kzh0J2MmvOY

Hulusi
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu, 23 Apr 2015

Re: Got a job offer for 200S$ + Bonus - Can I live like a rockstar?

Postby Hulusi » Sat, 25 Apr 2015 5:08 pm

Wd40 wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:That said, most of them didn't come from a pseudo-russian mafioso lifestyle previously :D :D



Reminds me of this :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kzh0J2MmvOY


:D :D :D

That actually is closer to truth than you think :)

There really is a Russian luxurious lifestyle exists here. Fast cars, champagne, nightclubs & girls are real :)

But anyway, there are quite a lot of negative things here too; and I am not Russian so & I am married, so..

Regarding the hot / humid vs. freezing St Petersburg. It is one of the main reasons we want to move from here. It really is cold in St Petersburg, it was snowing 3 days ago!

Originally I am from Turkey, a relatively hot & humid part of the world. Therefore, I believe, we will manage.. On the other hand it is not like Dubai or smth, right?

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Re: Got a job offer for 200S$ + Bonus - Can I live like a rockstar?

Postby JR8 » Sat, 25 Apr 2015 9:59 pm

Hulusi wrote:There really is a Russian luxurious lifestyle exists here. Fast cars, champagne, nightclubs & girls are real :) But anyway, there are quite a lot of negative things here too; and I am not Russian so & I am married, so..
Regarding the hot / humid vs. freezing St Petersburg. It is one of the main reasons we want to move from here. It really is cold in St Petersburg, it was snowing 3 days ago!
Originally I am from Turkey, a relatively hot & humid part of the world. Therefore, I believe, we will manage.. On the other hand it is not like Dubai or smth, right?


I recall a long time ago being offered a job in Moscow, and the hirer in a casual way trying to outline the social life there, in many ways I recall it as sounding like a Soviet version of the 'Wild West', a champagne-soaked Klondike. That was back in the 90s...

Turkey, interesting. The climate in Turkey is maybe closer to Southern Germany than here => very cold winters, very hot summers, generally all round lower humidity. [You know it has been snowing there this week right? :))

Dubai, again you get much wider swings between winter and summer, from cool'ish to blasting hot. Again the humidity is relatively low year around.

What gets to most people here is the humidity which is relentless. It's often hot too, lowest low about 26, typical high 31/32. You find it's the humidity that's more of challenge than the heat, perhaps because it's harder to escape. There's a fountain downtown (Bugis Junction) on which is enscribed the words, simply: 'It's the humidity and not the heat' [or very similar]. After a while here you figure out why that is...

As with anywhere you learn to adapt. Adjusting to the cold is simpler as you simply put on more clothes (overcoats inside your house, why not!?); whereas here obviously there's a limit to how much you can take off, at least in public ;)
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Staying, Living in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests