Singapore Expats

Just offered a contract and want to know will I be able to survive on the salary ?

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
sigem555

Just offered a contract and want to know will I be able to survive on the salary ?

Post by sigem555 » Thu, 23 Apr 2015 10:47 pm

Hi all,
I have just been offered a position as a commissioning engineer on a contract basis in Singapore. I basically want to know will I be able to afford to live there and if so will it be comfortable or a struggle ?

1. Basic monthly will be $6000 sd
2. Expenses $4150 sd monthly
3. Shift allowance of $1600 sd monthly

So in total $11750 sd a month.

I will have to pay for my accommodation but it will be shared with another two engineers in condos which the company already have selected which have swimming pools and gyms. I only get one paid flight home annually to Ireland. I will be using public transport and Im no a big party animal. Please if anyone can give me any information, guidance or help I would be extremely grateful.

Thanks.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Just offered a contract and want to know will I be able to survive on the salary ?

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 23 Apr 2015 11:16 pm

If you cannot make it comfortably on that package and I'm assuming you are single, then you ought to turn it down now. Most live here comfortably on 8K or less/mo
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sigem555

Re: Just offered a contract and want to know will I be able to survive on the salary ?

Post by sigem555 » Thu, 23 Apr 2015 11:21 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:If you cannot make it comfortably on that package and I'm assuming you are single, then you ought to turn it down now. Most live here comfortably on 8K or less/mo

Thanks. I am really just trying to get a gauge. I have heard that it is very expensive by some and then others say that it is not as bad. Its not exactly cheap here in Ireland either.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Just offered a contract and want to know will I be able to survive on the salary ?

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 23 Apr 2015 11:49 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:If you cannot make it comfortably on that package and I'm assuming you are single, then you ought to turn it down now. Most live here comfortably on 8K or less/mo
No wonder some natives are going ballistic when they see struggling foreigners on 11k salary :oops:

Back to OP, unless you are into drinking in rub-me bars, or expensive hobbies, you are good.

Are you single ?

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 24 Apr 2015 4:49 am

Please see my reply to someone asking a similar question earlier today... http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/viewtopic.php?t=106695

p.s. @Ecu, what in heaven's name is a 'rub-me bar' ? :???: :lol:
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 24 Apr 2015 6:55 am

JR8 wrote: p.s. @Ecu, what in heaven's name is a 'rub-me bar' ? :???: :lol:
Apparently something that will upset his wife greatly when she finds out. :lol: :cool:
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 24 Apr 2015 10:10 am

JR8 wrote:p.s. @Ecu, what in heaven's name is a 'rub-me bar' ? :???: :lol:
You've never been over to the establishments on Duxton or Duxton Hill? Gracious!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 24 Apr 2015 11:02 am

Strong Eagle wrote:
You've never been over to the establishments on Duxton or Duxton Hill? Gracious!
^^This! :lol:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 24 Apr 2015 11:07 am

Strong Eagle wrote:
I believe Barnsley took us there after one of the gatherings. I must say, I greatly enjoyed it but I think I am still a virgin.

I have some other associations with that term. When I was peacefully (or pissfully) urinating in a toilet in some river side restaurant in Bangkok concentrated on the goals and accuracy a guy come over from behind and started massaging me, rubbing my shoulders. The experience so far in Duxton Hill was less dramatic.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 24 Apr 2015 11:13 am

x9200 wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:
I believe Barnsley took us there after one of the gatherings. I must say, I greatly enjoyed it but I think I am still a virgin.

I have some other associations with that term. When I was peacefully (or pissfully) urinating in a toilet in some river side restaurant in Bangkok concentrated on the goals and accuracy a guy come over from behind and started massaging me, rubbing my shoulders. The experience so far in Duxton Hill was less dramatic.
No, no... on Duxton, if you are crazy enough to buy one girl a drink, there will be ten... and if you buy them drinks... well, then... you could be wearing a suit of mail and it would make no difference... 10 petite hands all wanting to make sure you haven't inadvertently left your willy somewhere like the toilet.

It's nice to know they care so much.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 24 Apr 2015 11:22 am

I'm a square and was an underpaid brown code monkey so I do not know of these happenings in Duxton.

:roll:
Strong Eagle wrote:
x9200 wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:

No, no... on Duxton, if you are crazy enough to buy one girl a drink, there will be ten... and if you buy them drinks... well, then... you could be wearing a suit of mail and it would make no difference... 10 petite hands all wanting to make sure you haven't inadvertently left your willy somewhere like the toilet.

"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 24 Apr 2015 11:30 am

Strong Eagle wrote:No, no... on Duxton, if you are crazy enough to buy one girl a drink, there will be ten... and if you buy them drinks... well, then... you could be wearing a suit of mail and it would make no difference... 10 petite hands all wanting to make sure you haven't inadvertently left your willy somewhere like the toilet.

I was approached by two or three soon after we arrived and made our way inside but I guess I was not affectionate or compassionate enough. Soon the rest of the cavalry arrived in the 2nd cab and we all stepped down to the no target zone.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 24 Apr 2015 11:35 am

nakatago wrote:
JR8 wrote: p.s. @Ecu, what in heaven's name is a 'rub-me bar' ? :???: :lol:
Apparently something that will upset his wife greatly when she finds out. :lol: :cool:
I have no clue what you are on .. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Strong Eagle wrote:
what is Duxton ? 8-[

Ps, I know I am shooting myself here, but Duxton and the area have been slowly transforming themselves into hip and trendy zones, with the bar licenses not being renewed upon expiry. Like how the govt is slowly squeezing out Geylang with re-zoning .. :-k :-k

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 24 Apr 2015 5:35 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
:o [Suddenly feeling very green] Errrr.... no... I can't say I have. What kind of establishments? Can you suggest an example to give me a clue?

Never mind 'rub me bar', wouldn't 'I rub you!' be more fitting? :)

p.s. on reading the rest of the posts, no I've not been to such a place. Been to a couple of nice restaurants up there, didn't realise it was a 'hanky-panky zone' too... :?
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 24 Apr 2015 7:31 pm

JR8 wrote:p.s. on reading the rest of the posts, no I've not been to such a place. Been to a couple of nice restaurants up there, didn't realise it was a 'hanky-panky zone' too... :?
If you haven't noticed 'em, that means the transformation is complete !! :D

The area MP swore to rid the place of such 'bad' establishments, and she has done it

Ah, it's not being a hypocrite, btw when those bars were thriving, they used to host charity lunch/dinner for old folks, disabled, kids etc, and guess who was the GOH ?? ;)