Singapore Expats

The Eagles are fishing for the next gathering

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
x9200

Re: The Eagles are fishing for the next gathering

Post by x9200 » Tue, 19 May 2015 8:49 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Sounds good. Looking forward to imbibing a few!

7:30 might be a little tight for some but I see no reason that we cannot do it. I've never been there so is the Bar & Restaurant separate combined/cojoined or one & the same? Sounded rather formal about the 80% being "seated" or being allocated a smaller table. Nevermind, Friday it is.
I am going to be there but very unlikely at 7:30 (babysitting till 7). If I'am lucky I may just managed within the garce period. On a different note: they (such restaurants) always sound that formal but unless this place is very popular and will be completely stuffed at 7:45 I wouldn't expect any action. Still, better not to be very late if we end up to be a larger group this time.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Tue, 19 May 2015 9:34 am

It is a restaurant. So the bet best is to ask them to be give us an outdoor table (where the al fresco setup is) when we arrive so that some can stand while some can sit. I'll be there by 7.30pm.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 19 May 2015 10:26 am

x9200 wrote: Still, better not to be very late if we end up to be a larger group this time.
I end work at 10.00 at Lavender.. will SMS to SMS (???) when on my way

probably an outdoor seat works better ..

FYI, operating hours ..

Sunday-Thursday, PH: 09:00AM - 12:00AM
Friday & Saturday, PH Eve: 09:00AM - 01:00AM

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 19 May 2015 1:12 pm

They have/had some tables outside. Per Google Streetview... I don't know now... anyway, I suppose we'll find out what's booked for us when we get there.
It's simple enough to find, it's in the 'corner' of the junction between Chijmes and the rear-side of Raffles... Raffles Arcade
http://www.brotzeit.co/
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 19 May 2015 1:28 pm

the lynx wrote:It is a restaurant. So the bet best is to ask them to be give us an outdoor table (where the al fresco setup is) when we arrive so that some can stand while some can sit. I'll be there by 7.30pm.
This is the City Hall location, not the one at Somerset. The latter has lots of outdoor tables but being 'up the line' is not so convenient esp for those who intend to turn up later, get back, and have to make MRT connections to get home (esp. EW line etc).

The City Hall location used to have tables outside, but Google Streetview suggests it doesn't. Anyway we'll see.

I'll see you there Lynx, and I'll be on time, and we can stake the claim to the table. And hopefully people will read the T+C of the reservation so we have the critical mass to not get bumped onto a smaller table.

nanana
Chatter
Chatter

Post by nanana » Tue, 19 May 2015 10:19 pm

hey guys, dont think i can be there by 7.30pm. finish work at 9.30pm.
i;ll see if i can change shift with other colleagues.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 20 May 2015 10:08 am

Friday 22nd , 8'ish @ Brotzeit it is. Noted.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Wed, 20 May 2015 10:14 am

I have a meeting at Sports Hub at 7:30...

Will be along afterwards , around 9-9:30.

I think the City Hall Brotzeit no longer have tables on the pavement , I think there is a clampdown in general around the island on this kind of thing... as per the steamboat folks around Beach Road.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

Addadude
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Addadude » Wed, 20 May 2015 12:37 pm

I think* I can be there by 7.30. See you guys then.

*Terms and conditions may apply
"Both politicians and nappies need to be changed regularly, and for the same reasons."

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Wed, 20 May 2015 12:42 pm

A couple of these I attended were at bars around Boat Quay. The turnout was lower than expected and those that did turn up did so across a time span of several hours in some cases. It worked because it was a bar and also allowed people to order food if and when they wanted it.

It seems to me you are setting yourselves up to fail with a semi strict restaurant venue with, it appears, no outside seating.

I can't attend unfortunately, just saying................... :wink:

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 20 May 2015 1:02 pm

I think it is too late already for the venue change.

JR8, if you think the initial attendance could be of concern and you are not too comfortable with it, I would suggest to shift the booked slot to 20:30 - 21:00 onwards and for the early, 7:30 comers just take a table with no reservation what I believe should be possible.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 20 May 2015 1:15 pm

Ten say they'll come, five show up then all at random times, it's a bit like herding kittens.

That's why we don't need a bigger table, the likelihood of there being more than 8 at one time is small.

I'm not too stressed about the venue. They're pretty cool. I've previously been there, whole huge table to myself, and just hung out (air-con/wifi) for a few hours, slowly perusing and enjoying their beer menu. By the time we get in there, and get going, they're not going to have a later booking on that table.

Anyway, it's like a slightly smarter pub. Order food as and when you like. Personally it's the bratwurst and mash and gravy that does it for me... but hey ho.

--- The thinking is it's nice to pitch just a little higher than the tourist-trash Quays, just for once. It's ok, really, next time Boat Quay.... everyone can randomly show up or not, no expectations if that other party is better, and so on.

--- Actually if some masochist wishes to volunteer to coordinate the next one... how about a venue, non-trashy since we're hi-klassy expats here lol? Convenient for MRT. Has quality food, and good beer (i.e. a range of imports). Indoor and outdoor space. Air-con. Central. Can reserve but they won't care if you show up 3hrs late. Suggestions on a postcard.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: The Eagles are fishing for the next gathering

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 20 May 2015 1:22 pm

JR8 wrote:
--- Actually if some masochist wishes to volunteer to coordinate the next one... how about a venue, non-trashy since we're hi-klassy expats here lol? Convenient for MRT. Has quality food, and good beer (i.e. a range of imports). Indoor and outdoor space. Air-con. Central. Can reserve but they won't care if you show up 3hrs late. Suggestions on a postcard.
I did suggest (serious mode on) up north end of Orchard :roll:

If you don't mind the not so loud band ... and no harassment from girls ...

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: The Eagles are fishing for the next gathering

Post by JR8 » Wed, 20 May 2015 1:33 pm

ecureilx wrote: I did suggest (serious mode on) up north end of Orchard :roll:
If you don't mind the not so loud band ... and no harassment from girls ...
Next time you're the boss. :lol:

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Wed, 20 May 2015 1:37 pm

OK squirrel gets to play host for July's Eagles :P