Singapore Expats

Non-residents to pay more for public sports facilities

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Non-residents to pay more for public sports facilities

Post by Wd40 » Sun, 19 Apr 2015 8:06 pm

Today we went to the Tampines swimming complex and there was a notice stating that Non Singaporeans and Non PRs will pay higher for using the swimming pool from May onwards :(

Found the news link:

http://www.todayonline.com/sports/non-r ... lities-may

I wonder what other aspects of life we will need to start paying more.
Last edited by Wd40 on Sun, 19 Apr 2015 8:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Brah
Manager
Manager

Re: Non-residents to pay more for public sports facilities

Post by Brah » Sun, 19 Apr 2015 8:14 pm

Wd40 wrote:Today we went to the Tampines swimming complex and there was a notice stating that Non Singaporeans and Non PRs will pay higher for using the swimming pool from May onwards :(

Found the news link:

http://www.todayonline.com/sports/non-r ... lities-may

I wonder what other aspects of life we will need to start paying more.
The other question is how many things are we already paying more for.
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Sun, 19 Apr 2015 8:16 pm

I wonder in future whether we will have differential pricing for using public transport also. Different EZ Link card for foreigners.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 19 Apr 2015 8:33 pm

Wd40 wrote:I wonder in future whether we will have differential pricing for using public transport also. Different EZ Link card for foreigners.
That's right. Throw it out there. Give them the idea of "Well, they are anticipating it so we may as well go ahead an give them what they are expecting, isn't it?" With FT like that, we don't even need the opposition! Thanks! :mad:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Sun, 19 Apr 2015 8:47 pm

Do you actually think that if we are thinking it that they haven't already thought of it?
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 19 Apr 2015 9:11 pm

Across the border citizens pay 2RM for doctor consultation

Foreigners ..

What is wrong if a country stops subsidizing for non citizens ?

WD40, for transport citizen students, NSmen, old and physically challenged to get discount on passes and transport subsidy too .. not likely to make you pay more vs citizens ...

Btw for public hospitals you do know that citizens get great subsidy vs foreigners ??

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Sun, 19 Apr 2015 9:25 pm

I know, there are many walks of life where already there is differential pricing:
1) Maid levy, foreigners pay highest, PRs next and Citizens the least
2) Schooling
3) Medical
4) Housing
5) Entry to Gardens by the bay
6) National Library fees
7) Safra sports facilities

So already most govt facilities there is differential pricing.

ginger_bread

Post by ginger_bread » Sun, 19 Apr 2015 9:58 pm

Yesterday we went to the Science Centre, and wanted to renew our expired family membership. We were told we could not do so since the management were still "working on it (supposedly pricing)" for foreigners membership.

So sad. I don't know why people keep talking about stop "subsidizing foreigners". Foreigners fall into different categories. We are tax residents of Singapore, not tourists who come here for a few days. I can understand if tourists need to pay more, but not when it comes to the non-citizen tax paying population. What's wrong of using the tax money on us too? After all we pay tax.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 19 Apr 2015 10:27 pm

ginger_bread wrote:Yesterday we went to the Science Centre, and wanted to renew our expired family membership. We were told we could not do so since the management were still "working on it (supposedly pricing)" for foreigners membership.

So sad. I don't know why people keep talking about stop "subsidizing foreigners". Foreigners fall into different categories. We are tax residents of Singapore, not tourists who come here for a few days. I can understand if tourists need to pay more, but not when it comes to the non-citizen tax paying population. What's wrong of using the tax money on us too? After all we pay tax.
You don't suppose the fact that they have a very immature electorate, that the leaders are any more mature do you? After all, they are from the same genetic pool that is growing more and more depleted as time goes on.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 19 Apr 2015 10:48 pm

ginger_bread wrote:.
So sad. I don't know why people keep talking about stop "subsidizing foreigners".
Apparently a lot of public utilities and services such as transport are massively subsidized by government ..

So it's about time non citizens pay the fair cost .. is the intention of the govt and the general populace ..

...add to it the suddenly very vocal voting population that is finding the small red being over crowded so fast ... and the govt has to appease the voters or the rulers will be jobless, and new rulers may turn all previous policies 180 degree, .just for the fun of doing it (in Asia political vengeance always overrides national interests ... ) and companies will find Singapore unstable and unattractive and the neighbors, who have been trying very hard to have a slice of Singapore's economic success, will find things just fit easier (just look at Malaysia and their recent reclamation near Tuas, and the location of PTP, for example), and then all of us can pack and leave

It's politics and reality ... I wouldn't whine

After all in many Asian countries foreigners pay massively inflated foreigner rate..ex in a country's zoo, locals pay 100 buck, which is like 4$, and foreigners pay 40$, only usd accepted

In another country locals can join the local buffet at 2$ but foreigners must pay 20$ for the same buffet ... even if the foreigner is with local friends or even married to a local .. you look foreign , pay foreign rates.

And in another, foreigners are psyched into taking limo from airport at 100$ whereas locals can take regular taxi and pay 10$. And airport authority will insist rich foreigners must pay more, and local taxis are not recommended for foreigners ....as do their national tourism board who say yes to charging more for foreigners.

And in another country foreigner are never told about cheap hotels and the tourism board acts like the cheaper hotels are never safe for rich foreigners ...

things are not that bad in Singapore, says me.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Sun, 19 Apr 2015 11:19 pm

ecureilx wrote:
ginger_bread wrote:.
So sad. I don't know why people keep talking about stop "subsidizing foreigners".
Apparently a lot of public utilities and services such as transport are massively subsidized by government ..

So it's about time non citizens pay the fair cost .. is the intention of the govt and the general populace ..

...add to it the suddenly very vocal voting population that is finding the small red being over crowded so fast ... and the govt has to appease the voters or the rulers will be jobless, and new rulers may turn all previous policies 180 degree, .just for the fun of doing it (in Asia political vengeance always overrides national interests ... ) and companies will find Singapore unstable and unattractive and the neighbors, who have been trying very hard to have a slice of Singapore's economic success, will find things just fit easier (just look at Malaysia and their recent reclamation near Tuas, and the location of PTP, for example), and then all of us can pack and leave

It's politics and reality ... I wouldn't whine
If it eventually comes to that, most of us will find another place to move or we will just go back home and wont be too unhappy about it, after all home is home. It is the locals who will be affected most. Anyways what has to happen will happen and us whining wont change it. There is no point comparing with Indonesia or Vietnam. We work in Singapore because it is Singapore.
Last edited by Wd40 on Sun, 19 Apr 2015 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 19 Apr 2015 11:40 pm

Except Ecu, that kind of dual-pricing tends to go on in the more 'nutjob' countries, those in Indochina for example. You don't really expect pricing apartheid from a 1st world country.

What next, Buckingham Palace charge more for foreigners and tourists than citizens? ... 'Well it's only fair isn't it, taxpayer money is used to maintain it?'. And these days we also see increasing reciprocity in taxation and visas fees. Perhaps SGns shoud be charged an additional beer-toll in British pubs.

It's clumsy when this is demarcated as 'foreigners' who pay local taxes. As mentioned above, I know the National Library already charge in this way. If they want dual-pricing then whacking tourists might be the way, but they wouldn't want to prejudice tourism I expect. Better to pluck the non-voting sitting ducks, despite them paying the same taxes as the locals...
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 19 Apr 2015 11:54 pm

Wd40 wrote:If it eventually comes to that, most of us will find another place to move or we will just go back home and wont be too unhappy about it, after all home is home.
It is the locals who will be affected most. Anyways what has to happen will happen and us whining wont change it. There is no point comparing with Indonesia or Vietnam. We work in Singapore because it is Singapore.
Indeed they will. But they're relying on 'the sticky element' who are, er, stuck here, and will pay what ever, and either way it's fodder for the home-masses.

Maybe less of the 'just like Switzerland model', now times are politically trying, we're seeing a 'bash the rich FT, to er, '''simply assist the heartland pioneer auntie'''' model...
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 20 Apr 2015 10:29 am

Wd40 wrote:If it eventually comes to that, most of us will find another place to move or we will just go back home and wont be too unhappy about it, after all home is home. It is the locals who will be affected most. Anyways what has to happen will happen and us whining wont change it. There is no point comparing with Indonesia or Vietnam. We work in Singapore because it is Singapore.
It is purely political and well calculated. It "hits" the hardest those who are the least welcomed in Singapore but even if it appears not so nice, when it comes to the small things this discussion is about (entrance fees, etc) it is with no significance for any tax paying Singapore foreigners at all. Are you really going to leave this country because you have to pay more than a SC to borrow a book? C'mon.

Surely, it's not really elegant, but this is the politics. Just step into the shoes of the gov with your knowledge of the sentiments across the local population. From that perspective, is it a reasonable trend to please the citizens or it would be better if the gov keeps WD40s and alike less dissatisfied?

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Mon, 20 Apr 2015 11:01 am

I saw that I had to pay more that a citizen/PR to use the Aquatic Centre.

Its all a bit sad but understandable in the new political climate here.

As has been mentioned before its only a matter of time before Transport goes the same way , such is life.

:D :D :D
Life is short, paddle harder!!