Singapore Expats

Seeking employment without employment pass

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
Maxie_E

Seeking employment without employment pass

Post by Maxie_E » Fri, 17 Apr 2015 5:59 pm

Is it possible to seek employment on a visitor pass as long as the employer then organises an employment pass? This is someone who is university educated in finance on over $100000 a year. Prior to it stopping they would have had applied for the employment pass eligibility certificate however now what do people do? Does the intention to seek employment have to be disclosed to immigration?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Seeking employment without employment pass

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 17 Apr 2015 6:26 pm

There is no problem looking for a job while here on a social visit pass. You cannot get an employment pass yourself. Only your employer can apply for your employment pass and it's only good for that single employer. First of all the potential employer will have to justify to the MOM just WHY it is necessary to hire a foreigner if there are substantial numbers of suitably qualified local that can do the job. IF you get past that hurdle (probably the hardest at the moment) then you have to qualify with your education AND substantial experience. If you get past that point, then the offer has to be sufficiently high enough to warrant and Employment Pass. Pass all three, you probably have your EP. But there are no guarantees or automatic passes if you "qualify" There are online testers on the MOM site to see if you are eligible to apply where you enter your university degree and field and experience. It doesn't mean you will get approved but just means they will accept your application, rather than just bouncing it when it's submitted, but still isn't a guarantee that you will get anything at all.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Maxie_E

Post by Maxie_E » Fri, 17 Apr 2015 7:17 pm

Thanks for that sundaymorningstaple. It is actually my partner I am talking about. I am on an employment pass. So when we arrive at Singapore airport he can honestly say that he is looking for work with no return flight booked as yet and it should be no issue?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 17 Apr 2015 8:11 pm

If you have an employment pass already, I'd suggest you apply for a dependent's pass for him poste haste. If he gets lucky and finds a potential employer, he still can apply for the relevant employment pass or even a Letter of Consent after he has his DP.

However, if he is your boyfriend and not spouse and you don't have a valid common law marriage that is recognized in your home country, then he will probably need an onward journey ticket or a return ticket as there is no relationship. He can still come in on a tourist visa assuming he has a visa or is from a country that Singapore give entry to, visa free. I'm not sure I'd gamble the cost of a one-way airfare if he is refused entry due to lack of an onward journey if he's not your spouse.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Maxie_E

Post by Maxie_E » Fri, 17 Apr 2015 8:23 pm

Unfortunately one of the conditions of my employment pass is no dependent pass.. So if you're allowed to look for work on a visitor pass.. Why would they make you have a return ticket? I don't even have a return ticket as we are hoping to settle in Singapore for a couple of years at least..

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 17 Apr 2015 8:31 pm

Maxie_E wrote:Unfortunately one of the conditions of my employment pass is no dependent pass.. So if you're allowed to look for work on a visitor pass.. Why would they make you have a return ticket? I don't even have a return ticket as we are hoping to settle in Singapore for a couple of years at least..
So, what you are saying is, is that you are not married nor in a recognized common law/de facto relationship, correct? Assuming so, then there is not way that he could get a DP. Therefore he will require a return ticket. You don't need one as you have evidence of a residency visa, your IPA letter for your employment pass. When you show that to check-in or immigration on this side you will be required to have an onward journey as they will know that you will be issued a residency visa (EP) in short order. Your partner, because he will be on a bog standard social visit pass for 30-60-90 days (depending on country of passport), but will need to prove proof of an onward journey. That's just the way it is. You buy a round trip ticket and burn the other half if he finds work. Much cheaper than getting off the plane with a one way ticket and than having to buy another one way ticket back home.

Maxie_E

Post by Maxie_E » Fri, 17 Apr 2015 8:46 pm

We are de facto but even if we're married we can't apply for a dependent pass.. I think because my employment pass is for a specific training post (I'm a doctor). We're Australian so it's 90 days I think. He has interviews/meetings lined up but should he say he is just 'visiting' me and have the return flight booked at end of 90 days? Or can he be honest and say that he is looking for work (but still have flight booked as back up?)

Maxie_E

Post by Maxie_E » Fri, 17 Apr 2015 8:50 pm

Thanks for all your help by the way!! It's hard to find info through the official websites!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 17 Apr 2015 9:13 pm

He can just say he here on a holiday. No problem. Even if he tells them he's looking for work, it's not an issue. The only issue they are worried about is the theoretical possibility of him becoming an illegal overstayer (which is punishable by caning) or otherwise becoming a ward of the state as he has no "legal" support here.

This site was founded by people who try to look out of people and is populated by people who enjoy "paying it forward". In some of our cases, we didn't even have the internet when we arrived lo the many years ago. I've been here 33 years now! So among ourselves we have amassed a pretty good knowledge about how the little red dot works and if we can help we like to help those who try to help themselves. I'm sure you had a wander around the site and already know what I'm talking about. All of us, moderators and regulars alike are employed full time (or retired in at least one case) so you can say we run a tight ship and when the mods miss something the regulars usually send us PMs pointing them out (we self police). Anyway, welcome to the board.

Maxie_E

Post by Maxie_E » Fri, 17 Apr 2015 9:19 pm

Thanks a lot! We'd rather be honest I guess, so say he is looking for work with some holidaying around SE Asia but will come back to Australia if he doesn't find any.. Fingers crossed he does!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 17 Apr 2015 10:21 pm

Maxie_E wrote:Thanks a lot! We'd rather be honest I guess, so say he is looking for work with some holidaying around SE Asia but will come back to Australia if he doesn't find any.. Fingers crossed he does!
lucky it is Australia

Now, if you are from some Asian countries, if you say you are going abroad to look for a job, the Local Immigration will not let you even board a plane

I believe Immigration Australia too will refuse entry, if an arrival is from Asian Countries, and says he/she is going to look for a job (as seen on some reality TV show .. )