Singapore Expats

Help needed for theft case

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
tumblerumble

Help needed for theft case

Post by tumblerumble » Sun, 12 Apr 2015 6:24 pm

Had to bail my friend yesterday. Shes 20 with totally clean record, good family, and was arrested for taking $80 in products. Shes super remorseful. Apparently the IO told her that she will be given a second chance with a warning but she will have to wait for at least 1month before the case close. I was looking at the bail form and I have to go with her every 2 weeks to the police station or something?

Either way shes super worried now and like panicking. If the IO told her its prolly a warning, will she be charged? Do I have to find a lawyer for her at this point?

Thanks

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Help needed for theft case

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 12 Apr 2015 10:41 pm

tumblerumble wrote:Had to bail my friend yesterday. Shes 20 with totally clean record, good family, and was arrested for taking $80 in products. Shes super remorseful. Apparently the IO told her that she will be given a second chance with a warning but she will have to wait for at least 1month before the case close. I was looking at the bail form and I have to go with her every 2 weeks to the police station or something?

Either way shes super worried now and like panicking. If the IO told her its prolly a warning, will she be charged? Do I have to find a lawyer for her at this point?

Thanks
Yes, you need to go and show your presence, maybe weekly or fortnightly ...

As for charges, don't quote me, but I believe it will go to AGC and AGC will advise if they want to proceed or direct police to issue a warning ...

tumblerumble

Post by tumblerumble » Sun, 12 Apr 2015 10:45 pm

okay.

since the investigating officer told her that she will be given a warning so she can turn a new leaf, will the DPP from AGC follow the investigating officer's recommendations?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 13 Apr 2015 10:41 am

tumblerumble wrote:okay.

since the investigating officer told her that she will be given a warning so she can turn a new leaf, will the DPP from AGC follow the investigating officer's recommendations?
:roll:

I said, I thought the Cops take instruction from AGC, not the other way around !!! good luck anyway ..

Sporkin
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Sporkin » Mon, 13 Apr 2015 11:24 am

The CIO submits his findings with his recommendation, however the AGC has the final say in how to proceed.
tumblerumble wrote:okay.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 13 Apr 2015 11:37 am

Sporkin wrote:The CIO submits his findings with his recommendation, however the AGC has the final say in how to proceed.
+1

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 14 Apr 2015 11:07 pm

ecureilx wrote:
Sporkin wrote:The CIO submits his findings with his recommendation, however the AGC has the final say in how to proceed.
+1
Furthermore the AGC consider many factors... unfortunately for your friend they are not turning blind eye to shoplifting. She may get off but will always have this recorded in Singapore.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

njbnjb

Post by njbnjb » Wed, 06 Jan 2016 6:45 am

Hi tumblerumble
on your below case what was the final
decision was ur friend given warning and dismissed? and how long did IO get back to u with decision.
I have a similar case for a friend and need to know if he hires a lawyer?
Appreciate ur response
tumblerumble wrote:

Had to bail my friend yesterday. Shes 20 with totally clean record, good family, and was arrested for taking $80 in products. Shes super remorseful. Apparently the IO told her that she will be given a second chance with a warning but she will have to wait for at least 1month before the case close. I was looking at the bail form and I have to go with her every 2 weeks to the police station or something?

Thanks