Singapore Expats Forum

Help needed for theft case

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

tumblerumble

Help needed for theft case

Postby tumblerumble » Sun, 12 Apr 2015 6:24 pm

Had to bail my friend yesterday. Shes 20 with totally clean record, good family, and was arrested for taking $80 in products. Shes super remorseful. Apparently the IO told her that she will be given a second chance with a warning but she will have to wait for at least 1month before the case close. I was looking at the bail form and I have to go with her every 2 weeks to the police station or something?

Either way shes super worried now and like panicking. If the IO told her its prolly a warning, will she be charged? Do I have to find a lawyer for her at this point?

Thanks

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Help needed for theft case

Postby ecureilx » Sun, 12 Apr 2015 10:41 pm

tumblerumble wrote:Had to bail my friend yesterday. Shes 20 with totally clean record, good family, and was arrested for taking $80 in products. Shes super remorseful. Apparently the IO told her that she will be given a second chance with a warning but she will have to wait for at least 1month before the case close. I was looking at the bail form and I have to go with her every 2 weeks to the police station or something?

Either way shes super worried now and like panicking. If the IO told her its prolly a warning, will she be charged? Do I have to find a lawyer for her at this point?

Thanks

Yes, you need to go and show your presence, maybe weekly or fortnightly ...

As for charges, don't quote me, but I believe it will go to AGC and AGC will advise if they want to proceed or direct police to issue a warning ...

tumblerumble

Postby tumblerumble » Sun, 12 Apr 2015 10:45 pm

okay.

since the investigating officer told her that she will be given a warning so she can turn a new leaf, will the DPP from AGC follow the investigating officer's recommendations?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Postby ecureilx » Mon, 13 Apr 2015 10:41 am

tumblerumble wrote:okay.

since the investigating officer told her that she will be given a warning so she can turn a new leaf, will the DPP from AGC follow the investigating officer's recommendations?

:roll:

I said, I thought the Cops take instruction from AGC, not the other way around !!! good luck anyway ..

Sporkin
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Sporkin » Mon, 13 Apr 2015 11:24 am

The CIO submits his findings with his recommendation, however the AGC has the final say in how to proceed.

tumblerumble wrote:okay.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Postby ecureilx » Mon, 13 Apr 2015 11:37 am

Sporkin wrote:The CIO submits his findings with his recommendation, however the AGC has the final say in how to proceed.

+1

PNGMK
Governor
Governor

Postby PNGMK » Tue, 14 Apr 2015 11:07 pm

ecureilx wrote:
Sporkin wrote:The CIO submits his findings with his recommendation, however the AGC has the final say in how to proceed.

+1

Furthermore the AGC consider many factors... unfortunately for your friend they are not turning blind eye to shoplifting. She may get off but will always have this recorded in Singapore.
IANAL. IANACPA. IANA Teacher.
Arrested? Lawyer Up
International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
School advice? Avoid for profit schools
Tax advice? CPA
Pay me $5k for 100% success filling in PR form!

njbnjb

Postby njbnjb » Wed, 06 Jan 2016 6:45 am

Hi tumblerumble
on your below case what was the final
decision was ur friend given warning and dismissed? and how long did IO get back to u with decision.
I have a similar case for a friend and need to know if he hires a lawyer?
Appreciate ur response
tumblerumble wrote:

Had to bail my friend yesterday. Shes 20 with totally clean record, good family, and was arrested for taking $80 in products. Shes super remorseful. Apparently the IO told her that she will be given a second chance with a warning but she will have to wait for at least 1month before the case close. I was looking at the bail form and I have to go with her every 2 weeks to the police station or something?

Thanks