Singapore Expats

Banking & Credit facilities comparison OCBC & DBS

Discuss the different banking options, rates, offers and perks.
Brah
Manager
Manager

Re: Banking & Credit facilities comparison OCBC & DBS

Post by Brah » Sun, 19 Apr 2015 12:10 pm

I plan to go to DBS and OCBC to hear if anything has changed with these banks. One has to wonder if DBS will do anything about OCBC's offer, surely people will switch if not.
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 20 Apr 2015 1:33 pm

I just applied for an ANZ credit card this weekend. There is promotion, spend 388 in 30 days of card approval and you get $88 cash back. Also if you are into miles, if you apply for their travel card and spend $500 in 30 days you get 2500 miles. The cards also have good rebate programs and hence worth applying on their own merit.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 20 Apr 2015 9:54 pm

Wd40 wrote:...if you apply for their travel card and spend $500 in 30 days you get 2500 miles.
Kind of have to laugh. I just acquired a Chase Sapphire Preferred card (USA). If one spends $4,000 in the first 3 months, one gets 40,000 points awarded to the card, and it just so happens that 40,000 points can be transferred on a one-to-one basis to several airline programs, including United, part of the Star Alliance group. That's enough for a round trip economy ticket Houston to Hawaii.

Additionally, all restaurant and travel purchases get 2 to 1 points. Wife got one as well.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Tue, 21 Apr 2015 9:12 am

Strong Eagle wrote:That's enough for a round trip economy ticket Houston to Hawaii.
Damn, would be nice if it can cover a round trip ticket from Houston to Singapore! :mrgreen:

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 21 Apr 2015 11:18 am

the lynx wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:That's enough for a round trip economy ticket Houston to Hawaii.
Damn, would be nice if it can cover a round trip ticket from Houston to Singapore! :mrgreen:
That's 80,000 on Saver fare in economy... got that covered... best thing about United website is that you can use United miles at United redemption rates to book Singapore Air travel... IAH to SIN goes through Moscow.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 21 Apr 2015 12:45 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
Wd40 wrote:...if you apply for their travel card and spend $500 in 30 days you get 2500 miles.
Kind of have to laugh. I just acquired a Chase Sapphire Preferred card (USA). If one spends $4,000 in the first 3 months, one gets 40,000 points awarded to the card, and it just so happens that 40,000 points can be transferred on a one-to-one basis to several airline programs, including United, part of the Star Alliance group. That's enough for a round trip economy ticket Houston to Hawaii.

Additionally, all restaurant and travel purchases get 2 to 1 points. Wife got one as well.
Nice :) But, My regular CC spend for 3 months is about half of that amount. I dont see how I can spend 4000 in 3 months, unless I buy jewelry for my wife.

maneo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by maneo » Tue, 21 Apr 2015 7:55 pm

Wd40 wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:Kind of have to laugh. I just acquired a Chase Sapphire Preferred card (USA). If one spends $4,000 in the first 3 months, one gets 40,000 points awarded to the card, and it just so happens that 40,000 points can be transferred on a one-to-one basis to several airline programs, including United, part of the Star Alliance group. That's enough for a round trip economy ticket Houston to Hawaii.

Nice :) But, My regular CC spend for 3 months is about half of that amount. I dont see how I can spend 4000 in 3 months, unless I buy jewelry for my wife.
Does that already include putting regular bills (e.g. HOA fees, utilities, etc.) on the CC?

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 21 Apr 2015 8:11 pm

maneo wrote:
Wd40 wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:Kind of have to laugh. I just acquired a Chase Sapphire Preferred card (USA). If one spends $4,000 in the first 3 months, one gets 40,000 points awarded to the card, and it just so happens that 40,000 points can be transferred on a one-to-one basis to several airline programs, including United, part of the Star Alliance group. That's enough for a round trip economy ticket Houston to Hawaii.

Does that already include putting regular bills (e.g. HOA fees, utilities, etc.) on the CC?
What is HOA? I put my phone and internet bills on CC. For SP Services need to go to Somerset, not worth it.

maneo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by maneo » Wed, 22 Apr 2015 7:08 pm

Wd40 wrote:
maneo wrote:
Wd40 wrote:My regular CC spend for 3 months is about half of that amount. I dont see how I can spend 4000 in 3 months, unless I buy jewelry for my wife.
What is HOA? I put my phone and internet bills on CC. For SP Services need to go to Somerset, not worth it.
For those that own a ϲondο, HOA refers to the Home Owners' Association maintenance fees.
This can be a substantial expense every 3 months.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Wed, 22 Apr 2015 8:37 pm

maneo wrote:
Wd40 wrote:
For those that own a ϲondο, HOA refers to the Home Owners' Association maintenance fees.
This can be a substantial expense every 3 months.
I belong to the House renters association and the fees are much much higher, if only I could put it on CC.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 23 Apr 2015 10:50 am

Strong Eagle wrote:

Great card to have, especially if you need to make overseas spending and you aren't on company travel which would allow you to expense back the exchange rate loss. They're really fair about most things.

That said, how much does that Houston to Hawaii ticket usually cost? I almost always just use my Chase points as cash back applied to the balance. It's $1 per 100 points.

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Mon, 11 May 2015 8:34 pm

Note that the DBS and OCBC offerings have changed a bit somewhat.

I am still looking to take a portfolio view on having multiple bank accounts, but it is not always comparing apples to apples for things like interest rates, terms, minimum deposits, etc. there are more aspects.

One bank even recommended having money split between his bank and

Banks under consideration are Citi, DBS, OCBC, SCB. Have not considered HSBC, wonder if I should.
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 12 May 2015 12:29 am

With your passport you might not have many choices. Unless you've gone and gotten yourself another country's PP.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Tue, 12 May 2015 8:25 am

Is that a real problem now? It wasn't years ago when I got my present account.
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 12 May 2015 9:14 am

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers