Singapore Expats Forum

It's starting to worry me....

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

clover

It's starting to worry me....

Postby clover » Tue, 18 Jan 2005 7:43 pm

Im scheduled to come to work in Singapore around mid Fed. Im asian and grew up in Australia, over here I can say the people are general friendly, at least no one will find it weird or awkward smiling at or chatting casually to strangers. But from wat I have read from the posts here in the forum it seems I will most definately be met with 'snobs' (locals and/or expats) if i conduct myself in my usualy friendly way. It's starting to worry me that I'd have to either put up with it or force myself to become a snob too. It's bad enough having to start fresh in a country where everyone is a stranger to me.......

Sonus
Regular
Regular

Re: It's starting to worry me....

Postby Sonus » Tue, 18 Jan 2005 7:57 pm

clover wrote:Im scheduled to come to work in Singapore around mid Fed. Im asian and grew up in Australia, over here I can say the people are general friendly, at least no one will find it weird or awkward smiling at or chatting casually to strangers. But from wat I have read from the posts here in the forum it seems I will most definately be met with 'snobs' (locals and/or expats) if i conduct myself in my usualy friendly way. It's starting to worry me that I'd have to either put up with it or force myself to become a snob too. It's bad enough having to start fresh in a country where everyone is a stranger to me.......

Don't worry so much. I have a friend who migrated together with his family after his O'levels to Perth. But after his Uni, he decided to come back himself to serve NS. Now, he behave just like a normal Singaporean but his english still sound like a Aus.

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Tue, 18 Jan 2005 11:02 pm

I'm an expat over here, and it is like anywhere else... you will be treated as you treat others. If you freeze up, or seem distant, people will give you your distance. If you come across as unapproachable, you will not be apporached.

Oh, sure, there is the occasional turd in the punchbowl... but that is life everywhere. I think the people here are great... open and friendly... as long as I respect their boundaries.

accent

Re: It's starting to worry me....

Postby accent » Wed, 19 Jan 2005 8:37 am

Sonus wrote:
clover wrote:Im scheduled to come to work in Singapore around mid Fed. Im asian and grew up in Australia, over here I can say the people are general friendly, at least no one will find it weird or awkward smiling at or chatting casually to strangers. But from wat I have read from the posts here in the forum it seems I will most definately be met with 'snobs' (locals and/or expats) if i conduct myself in my usualy friendly way. It's starting to worry me that I'd have to either put up with it or force myself to become a snob too. It's bad enough having to start fresh in a country where everyone is a stranger to me.......

Don't worry so much. I have a friend who migrated together with his family after his O'levels to Perth. But after his Uni, he decided to come back himself to serve NS. Now, he behave just like a normal Singaporean but his english still sound like a Aus.

Speaking of that fake accent...yes I want to know WHY do some people suddenly 'absorb' fake accent despite the fact that they were only abroad for a few years? I have friends who have been in Australia for 7 years and no trace of accent, (and they dont speak bad english ok). And an uncle who has been in the US for 20 over years--no accent either, but even if he did I think I'd understand, because 20 years is a long time.

Notnecessary

Fake accent?

Postby Notnecessary » Wed, 19 Jan 2005 10:48 am

The younger you are in a foreign country, the easier it is for one to "absorb" the accent over there, that's what I had observed.

From wot I saw, 12 or below is a safe bet. Of course, the other important factor is length of stay and these 2 must exist together, ie the younger and longer one stays in the foreign country the better the chance of picking the "foreign" accent.

One thing though, can't say for those who went overseas in the adulthood
and stayed there for 3 mths and acquired an accent. Just making a point.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 19 Jan 2005 2:35 pm

Notnecessary

3 months? How about the "3 week package tour" types who go to the UK and come back with the "Queen's English" accent? :D

sms

eh+lah

Postby eh+lah » Wed, 09 Mar 2005 2:01 am

to be honest, singapore's education system needs to improve on pronounciation.

accents or not isn't the issue, it's about being misunderstood.

seat, sit
ship, sheep
lift, leave, leaf
edge, hedge,

you get the idea.

then again, if english was not your first language, won't it easily assimilated in the way you learnt it, i.e. overseas, etc?