Singapore Expats

Moving to Singapore - spouse looking for job

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
trakow

Moving to Singapore - spouse looking for job

Post by trakow » Mon, 06 Apr 2015 4:00 am

Hi there,
me and my wife are moving to Singapore soon, I got a job there and we are really looking forward to our expat life! I have 2 questions to you and I'd be very grateful for your help:
1) my wife has experience in online ads sales and some marketing experience and she is planing to get a job in Singapore. How difficult it might be once you get there? is it very hard to get a job in marketing (knowing only English, no local Asian language)...
2) how long it might take to get a job? I know it's difficult to say but are we talking about 1-2 months or 6-7 months?

Thanks in advance for any answers!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Moving to Singapore - spouse looking for job

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 06 Apr 2015 6:53 am

Honestly? Don't come out here if you cannot afford to make it on your single income. She might get lucky, probably she won't though unless she has good qualifications & a relevant degree. I've know a lot who took 6 months or more to find a position. Some never did. It's getting harder and harder, truth be known. Good Luck. Too many come over here figuring that the spouse can find work after arriving and then have problems as they were "counting" on that to make their decisions to come. If that's the case, don't.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

trakow

Post by trakow » Sun, 12 Apr 2015 11:27 pm

Wow, thanks for reply but no need to be that harsh! I think my salary should be more than enough to support me and my wife in Singapore I just wanted to ask about job situation in general. My wife doesn't want to sit at home doing nothing, she wants to be professionally active and we were wondering how tough it is getting a job in Singapore nowadays.
But thanks for your answer anyway, it gave us some feeling as to Singapore job market.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 13 Apr 2015 6:59 am

trakow,

This board is known for being straight shooters. We get all kinds who come to Singapore thinking it's easy to find work here and Singapore should be beholden to them for coming here. It was like that when I came here over 3 decades ago, but that attitude stopped many years ago. In fact, today, it's harder and harder even with excellent qualifications to find a job here. I, and most of us long timers, do not blow smoke here. We give it to you straight so you will fully understand the situation "on the ground" and therefore are likely not to have any surprises when you arrive. Whilst we cannot judge if your package is sufficient for you to survive on or make a decent savings while here, we can let you know of the difficulties of finding additional work for a trailing spouse. And, you would be surprised at the number who come over here who think the trailing spouse will be able to pick up a job just like that. It has happened all to often that their plans were dashed after arriving and eventually the marriage got into trouble because of a frustrated spouse who may have giving up their own career to accompany the primary EP holder. We would be remiss if we didn't tell you of the flip side of families coming here (especially if there are no children involved to take up the time with at home. Sorry if you took it as harsh. It wasn't.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

martincymru
Reporter
Reporter

Post by martincymru » Mon, 13 Apr 2015 9:51 am

If the family have good income already then salary expectation will be high. Difficult to secure any job above 10k month.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 13 Apr 2015 10:26 am

trakow wrote:Wow, thanks for reply but no need to be that harsh! I think my salary should be more than enough to support me and my wife in Singapore I just wanted to ask about job situation in general. My wife doesn't want to sit at home doing nothing, she wants to be professionally active and we were wondering how tough it is getting a job in Singapore nowadays.
But thanks for your answer anyway, it gave us some feeling as to Singapore job market.
Morning Trakow, and welcome to the forum.
From what you've said I'd focus on getting yourselves here and set up in an apartment, plus you into a work routine. That is going to be a huge amount of work, stress etc. for you both.

If your wife has the qualifications/skills required she might be able to find work here. But I wouldn't expect to make headway in that direction at this stage of your relo (as if it is not stressful enough already :)).

What she could do is be keeping an eye on what kind of opportunities there are here, by scanning job ads. Who is hiring, what qual/skills are typically required here etc. That way when you arrive she might have a feel for the type of opening that could work, and via which kind of companies.

Getting a job here, as a new hire rather than an internal corporate transfer, has never been easy. There is a strong element of having to clearly demonstrate you have qualities/skills that are not available from the local workforce. Due to political pressure this hurdle has recently got higher still, with the likes of Jobsbank (where hiring companies are legally required to post all openings), and ... well, I imagine companies now have to keep audit trails of how they considered all applicants both local and foreign, and everyone suitable got interviewed, how/why the eventual hire got chosen etc. Anyway, you get the picture.

The issue of 'trailing spouses' is an old one. [Side-thought: Indeed I am a trailing spouse, and getting on a bit too :lol: ]. The idea of the 'TS' having a productive career at home, and losing it here. 'How will they fill their day, be socially engaged, keep busy, justify the career-gap?'. Well, somehow or other they seem to manage to, it just requires some adjustment. Many who want to continue their career might be able to. Many, a few months in-country, find that in fact a few hours by the pool each day, tennis, and running the home + some productive side activities is actually pretty damned fine too.

There could be avenues in between those two for some freelancing, but that gets complex on the visa/tax side of things, so I won't go any further on that at this point.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

trakow

Post by trakow » Mon, 13 Apr 2015 7:55 pm

thx for all replies, good to know what we should be prepared for!

melliedna

Post by melliedna » Mon, 27 Apr 2015 3:59 pm

i cant find a full time job since last FEB...i used to be a cabin crew, i thought it must be easy to get back to airline but no CHANCE...now i do some part time job, also flea market to kill my time
what i can say is not easy to find job in sg, even u find one, what they offer me is way too low then i used to get

ed.

Post by ed. » Fri, 22 May 2015 9:03 am

trakow wrote:Hi there,
me and my wife are moving to Singapore soon, I got a job there and we are really looking forward to our expat life! I have 2 questions to you and I'd be very grateful for your help:
1) my wife has experience in online ads sales and some marketing experience and she is planing to get a job in Singapore. How difficult it might be once you get there? is it very hard to get a job in marketing (knowing only English, no local Asian language)...
2) how long it might take to get a job? I know it's difficult to say but are we talking about 1-2 months or 6-7 months?

Thanks in advance for any answers!
If she tailors her CV towards digital marketing and everything digital/online she will have a better chance.

jennifertan

Post by jennifertan » Fri, 22 May 2015 10:50 am

In my experience there are some companies who looking for online marketing peoples. Talent never ends.
if you wife is good at communications, definitely she will get a job soon in Singapore.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 22 May 2015 11:07 am

I wish her good luck. She is going to need it. And a thick skin at what she will be offered.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 22 May 2015 11:19 am

Have you given up on this forum ?? :)

If you are keen, I can refer some digital marketing companies, though the pay etc will be between your wife and the employer.

AdriE

Post by AdriE » Wed, 03 Jun 2015 11:25 pm

ecureilx wrote:
Hi we're going to be expanding and opening a new boutique for Fashion Premium brands from USA/France/UK. If any of you know of people interested in Sales/Marketing/IT/PR/Business Development, feel free to give me a shout.

Cheers.

cripirri

Post by cripirri » Mon, 29 Jun 2015 6:26 pm

Hi everybody,
I am moving to Singapore with my husband in a month and I hope to find a job there, I don't think situation could be worst than Italian one, so let's go girls, I refuse at all to be called " trailing spouse" I am a young Italian woman looking for a new job. That's all.

Cristina

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 29 Jun 2015 7:05 pm

Boy, are you going to be surprised. Allow yourself a year and you might come up with something with a salary that will be like a slap in the face compared to what you would earn at home doing the same job. Good Luck and keep up the can do spirit.