Singapore Expats

Advice for buying used car

Have your burning questions answered relating to buying and selling cars and other vehicles.
timmypoke

Re: Advice for buying used car.

Post by timmypoke » Mon, 19 Jun 2017 9:16 am

Primrose Hill wrote:
ScoobyDoes wrote:As hard as it is to believe, if you can afford the 50% down payment then buying a new car actually can work out cheaper.......in the long run.

It's all to do with OMV and PARF (you'll need to study hard!) and the rebates you get back upon scrapping your vehicle. Add to this maintenance costs and a possibility that newer models can be more fuel efficient than even ones that are 2-3yrs old then it does, strangely, all work out.

I've spent the last two months on these calculations and just picked up a new motor last week.
New car bought here in SG? Or PI?
The downpayment is crazy for new cars... :*(

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Advice for buying used car

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 19 Jun 2017 9:15 pm

Tiguanowner88 wrote:If you are considering buying a used car in Singapore (compared to leasing) be SNIP
A specific issue to be aware of is tampering of odometers to reduce the mileage on used cars which seems very common. Make sure you get the mileage recorded on the sales agreement and if at all possible, avoid buying cars without a full service history where you can verify the mileage and accident history of the car with the service company independently.
SNIP
k the advice applies to many in the industry.
Tampering of odometers is almost impossible with modern ECU / LED displays.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 21 Jun 2017 1:56 pm

I guess that's why the odometer on the 10 year old Toyota Corolla Altis I'm currently driving shows 357,000 kms and runs like a top and doesn't burn any oil at all. :cool:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 21 Jun 2017 3:18 pm

Pretty doable for the digital kind too, at least according to uncle google. I guess it depends on the implementation. I can imagine, if done properly, with some unique chip Nos (whatever stores the data) it may be difficult to tamper without leaving some evidence behind, but if such a chip can be duplicated and there is no control sum stored in some other chip verifying its content, then ...

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Sat, 24 Jun 2017 11:48 am

Fasten the odometer cable to an electric drill and turn, baby, turn.

SGFinance

Post by SGFinance » Tue, 11 Jul 2017 4:24 pm

Girl_Next_Door wrote:
bgd wrote:I guess we aren't quite there yet, but the current model of car ownership is going to be replaced by an uber type model, but without drivers. If the predictions are to be believed.

30 mins is too long to wait. I guess I've never hired in rush hour.
Honestly, I am not sure if car ownership is the solution as well. Hence, I am trying car renting on monthly basis, to see if it make sense. Uber/Grab are good, when it works. It is perfect if you don't have to rely on them excessively. I spent about $500/monthly on Uber/Grab but I simply goes from home to office, and back plus a few trips on weekends. And this amount is based on the fact that I live 10 mins away from office. I am not sure how much it will cost if I have to travel between home, Changi and Raffles City.

Does anyone here rent car on a monthly basis, and can share their thoughts on cons (beside the price) or something I should pay attention?
One of the best perks of long term car leasing is that the car company takes care of the maintenance of the car, even wear and tear. So whatever expense that you pay a month it is an absolute amount.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 11 Jul 2017 7:19 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:Fasten the odometer cable to an electric drill and turn, baby, turn.
No cables on modern cars. They pick up a signal from somewhere - usually ABS sensors now I think.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 11 Jul 2017 7:20 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I guess that's why the odometer on the 10 year old Toyota Corolla Altis I'm currently driving shows 357,000 kms and runs like a top and doesn't burn any oil at all. :cool:
Modern japanese engines are marvels of durability in my experience. IT doesn't surprise me a 10 year old Toyota driven in a low dust environment can do that.

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Wed, 12 Jul 2017 10:27 am

Years ago one of the bike magazines (Ride?), to test the durability of modern bike engines, drained a Kawasaki of oil and left it running. It ran for 2 days before stopping. They added oil and it was almost as good as new.

Their view was that engines, both bike and car, are much more durable than we give them credit for. A big unstressed engine should last years and hundreds of thousands of kms. Not so sure about these small turbo charged jobs that seem so popular now.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 12 Jul 2017 4:09 pm

My first car back in Europe, Peugeot 306TD is still in use. Over 23y old, millage 410kkm.

What the engines can do is the best seen in the emerging economies. It is almost never the engine that fails, Most often it's the chassis (corrosion).

jagermeister

Post by jagermeister » Thu, 02 Nov 2017 6:32 pm

If u have the money to buy a car then why not just get a new one? Why take someone else’s trash bro
thanks wind, you totally raped my hair

DidierAubin87

Post by DidierAubin87 » Wed, 09 May 2018 6:34 pm

You can consider importing a used car directly from Japan, it helps you reduce margin cost from local dealers. I've had experiences in importing online right hand drive cars for sale. I thought it was very difficult to make the clearance process but I got helps and supports from the agency so everything ran very smooth. I bought the car since 2013 and now it is still running great, it only needs to be repaired some dents in back of the car.