Singapore Expats

Restaurants with good ambience in Singapore?

Share your favourite eating haunts!
x9200

Re: Restaurants with good ambience in Singapore?

Post by x9200 » Wed, 08 Apr 2015 1:58 pm

Hmmm. Actually I would really have problems with recommending anything for a more fancy, Friday night dinning. We've been to a number of places with reasonable balance of food and ambiance but it was not like a killer or something worth recommendation.
We sort of liked the already mentioned The Cliff. Equinox is also not bad at all but during brunch-time is much better. il Lido, not so far away from the Cliff, has a nice view but the decoration style of the outside dining part is just what spoils for us everything. The Rochester area has some nice places too (eg. Rochester One).
I don't know. Before the kid at home era we had been also exploring local higher end restaurants with the focus on Indian cuisine but soon we realized the differences to the mid range ones were mostly the price and how much area the food occupies on the plates. Now, with the kid, if we want something reasonably romantic/relaxing we go for a Sunday brunch. The quality of the brunches also dropped over last few years but there are a still some places worth to visit again and again.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Wed, 08 Apr 2015 2:26 pm

If you are keen to try surprisingly food for good price and somewhat "exclusive" ambiance, you should try Professor Brawn at Boat Quay. A friend recommended me to try.

This restaurant is manned by staff with special needs so it is nice to patron there for charitable cause (help them earn their dough). A lot of people shy away from it because they thought the food prepared by them would be horrible but no, it is even way BETTER than some pretentious restaurants with similar menu price or higher.

And because the concept of this restaurant is so foreign to the usual Boat Quay crowd, you will always find yourself having the whole restaurant to yourself for dinner.

I tried the pork ribs (World Autism Awareness specials). Best ones I've ever tried in Singapore, even better than Morganfield's and as good (if not better) as Australia's Hurricane Grill's ribs. And the carrot cake - devilishly tasty. And I would have ordered their tiramisu for second helping if it wasn't for my dinner companions who couldn't wait to hit BQ Bar or Mogambo for chicks and booze. We were the only ones in the restaurant that time.

Our waiter was the sweetest thing ever. He was a little slow in catching our order but he was very attentive to our table throughout the dinner, always making sure our glasses were filled up the moment they were empty.

http://www.professorbrawn.com/index.php

jennifer.conrad

Post by jennifer.conrad » Sat, 16 May 2015 4:37 pm

From my experience living in SG, the safest bet for a good ambience is to go to 4 or 5 star hotel restaurants.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 16 May 2015 5:04 pm

jennifer.conrad wrote:From my experience living in SG, the safest bet for a good ambience is to go to 4 or 5 star hotel restaurants.
.... and can you give some examples, and what you like about them?
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 16 May 2015 6:50 pm

I enjoyed Bistecca [http://www.bistecca.com.sg/] though if I'm peeling off the Benjies I expect a far higher level of service than that. I don't mean fancy or poncey, I simply mean professional vs random and kiddy.

The Fat Cow [http://www.fat-cow.com.sg/] is still the only restaurant I've been to in SG that does it for me, in that way, smacking of professionalism.

There's meant to be a JPnese place at the Ritz-Carlton that's supposedly professional, similarly arrived at it's pinnacle, and contentedly happy with that status.

Too often here, it's 'All gong no dinner'. All big names, the scene, noise, popularism, etc, but the ends, on the plate are nothing of any note at all.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 17 May 2015 9:13 am

jennifer.conrad wrote:From my experience living in SG, the safest bet for a good ambience is to go to 4 or 5 star hotel restaurants.
This is probably correct for hit/miss rate but then ambience is also if not mainly about some individual preferences. On top of this, dinning in 4/5 hotel restaurants also has its limitations and I don't mean the price.

wenber

Post by wenber » Mon, 17 Aug 2015 1:42 pm

Try ABC at killiney street its opposite the NTUC
After 5pm the signatures selling at $9
Wayu beef nice

vinny70s

Post by vinny70s » Fri, 23 Oct 2015 1:33 pm

sinyeeloke wrote:Anyone know which restaurants' ambience is good?
Try NOSH - at Rochester :)

Pretty Rustic settings and ambience.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 23 Oct 2015 3:21 pm

I try not to go to restaurants with good ambiance. I hate paying for ambiance. I don't mind paying for good food though.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 23 Oct 2015 4:00 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I try not to go to restaurants with good ambiance. I hate paying for ambiance. I don't mind paying for good food though.
What's wrong with paying for good ambience? You go for a holiday for time to time I hope.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 23 Oct 2015 5:48 pm

Usually free & easy and out to see geographical sites, not cities. Hate cities as well. :-(
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 23 Oct 2015 6:42 pm

Porta porta. Changi prison area.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

cheeckybummy

Post by cheeckybummy » Wed, 07 Feb 2018 5:01 pm

Can try ps cafe , very nice ambiance over at dempsy hill there :oops:

Benjamin Murkel

Post by Benjamin Murkel » Fri, 13 Apr 2018 9:33 am

Being an Italian expat in Singapore. It's really hard to find quality Italian Food in Singapore. I'm getting pretty sick of the usual hawker foods. It was till i ate at an Italian Restaurant that reminds me of hometown in Milan. Definitely would go back again! Great ambiance and service too! :) http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/
{sanitized by moderator}

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 13 Apr 2018 12:40 pm

Benjamin, or is it Wilfred? Why doesn't either of your names sound the least bit Italian? Could it be that you are not expat at all but are working as/for an SEO / SEM company for your client? After all, you registered only to post a so-called recommendation for your client and ran. Generally, people who post links and recommendations on the first post are advertisers or soliciting business and are not true recommendations. That coupled with the rest of the evidence leads me to believe your post is not an altruistic post at all. As we don't allow advertising or soliciting in the forums, why shouldn't I ban you?