Singapore Expats

Online storage for photos/videos

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
x9200

Re: Online storage for photos/videos

Post by x9200 » Sun, 13 Dec 2015 7:56 pm

It should be also noted that earlier this year Onedrive actually offered unlimited space but because it was heavily abused Microsoft abandoned the idea.

http://arstechnica.com/information-tech ... d-storage/

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Mon, 14 Dec 2015 3:03 pm

Wd40 wrote: As it is Microsoft is struggling with its Lumia phones. The OneDrive feature, was one of its positives. If they cut back on that, they can say goodbye to whatever little fan base they have left.

I have just sold off my Lumia 820 after using for a little more than a year and bought a Redmi Note 2. The Lumia was nice, but the lack of apps on Windows was a slight negative and the awesome value for money of the Redmi Note 2 was big positive that tilted to its favor.

The phone comes with free 15GB Mi cloud back up which I am using for my phone photos and other phone related back ups.

Going back to a 15GB+15GB limit is fine by me.

My Lumia920 is reaching end of life/days as a few things begin to struggle on it but at almost 3yrs old now, I'm still relatively happy with everything. Photos are super, speed is good, it's sturdy (or hefty in other's opinion) and whilst there is a lack of apps, I'm not really missing too much other than possibly banking options and the possibility to install a wallet/payment SIM.

I am hoping the convergence into Win10 on all hardware (laptop, tablet, phone, X-Box and PC etc.) will encourage developers to port over more of their iOS and Android stuff. I believe Surface4 sales, for example, are strong already.

On the Redmi Note...... Xiaomi just launched a Win10 ROM for their Mi4 with others coming soon for MiNote and upcoming MiPad2. I'm considering switching out my 920 for a Mi4 running the Win10 ROM.....at least until Microsoft's Surface Phone becomes available at the end of 2016 and see from there. I would be happier (strangely) backing up my photos and settings to a MS cloud OneDrive than a Chinese based Xiaomi one.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Re: RE: Re: Online storage for photos/videos

Post by Wd40 » Fri, 18 Dec 2015 10:17 pm

ScoobyDoes wrote:
Wd40 wrote: As it is Microsoft is struggling with its Lumia phones. The OneDrive feature, was one of its positives. If they cut back on that, they can say goodbye to whatever little fan base they have left.

I have just sold off my Lumia 820 after using for a little more than a year and bought a Redmi Note 2. The Lumia was nice, but the lack of apps on Windows was a slight negative and the awesome value for money of the Redmi Note 2 was big positive that tilted to its favor.

The phone comes with free 15GB Mi cloud back up which I am using for my phone photos and other phone related back ups.

Going back to a 15GB+15GB limit is fine by me.

My Lumia920 is reaching end of life/days as a few things begin to struggle on it but at almost 3yrs old now, I'm still relatively happy with everything. Photos are super, speed is good, it's sturdy (or hefty in other's opinion) and whilst there is a lack of apps, I'm not really missing too much other than possibly banking options and the possibility to install a wallet/payment SIM.

I am hoping the convergence into Win10 on all hardware (laptop, tablet, phone, X-Box and PC etc.) will encourage developers to port over more of their iOS and Android stuff. I believe Surface4 sales, for example, are strong already.

On the Redmi Note...... Xiaomi just launched a Win10 ROM for their Mi4 with others coming soon for MiNote and upcoming MiPad2. I'm considering switching out my 920 for a Mi4 running the Win10 ROM.....at least until Microsoft's Surface Phone becomes available at the end of 2016 and see from there. I would be happier (strangely) backing up my photos and settings to a MS cloud OneDrive than a Chinese based Xiaomi one.
Wow, you keep phones for really long. I generally buy phones that are like yesteryear's flagships, for really cheap and then sell it off in a year. I generally buy phones in the $200 range. This is the 1st time I was able to buy a current flagship for $175. I buy export sets without warranty, which is why they are so cheap.

The Redmi note is really top notch. I just love it. The only thing it lacks is NFC, which is okay.

I am considering buying the Oppo R7S for my wife. It retails for $589. I am trying to find the best place to buy it. This phone beats both galaxy note 5 as well as iPhone 6s plus.

Sent from my Redmi Note 2 using Tapatalk

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Re: RE: Re: Online storage for photos/videos

Post by ScoobyDoes » Sat, 19 Dec 2015 10:44 am

Wd40 wrote: Wow, you keep phones for really long. I generally buy phones that are like yesteryear's flagships, for really cheap and then sell it off in a year. I generally buy phones in the $200 range. This is the 1st time I was able to buy a current flagship for $175. I buy export sets without warranty, which is why they are so cheap.

Bought the phone full price retail, not cheap, so need to make it last but having said that I still use a Nokia E66 when I'm travelling (I bought that after a Samsung completely died after only a year and vowed never to buy another - my Nokia before that lasted more than 5yrs but that was when phones were phones).

I can't be bothered with continually needing to set up new hardware. The backup function from Windows makes it relatively easy to transfer from one phone to another or do a full restore after a service etc. so it's not as troublesome as it used to be but still a bit of a pain. It doesn't, for example, or didn't before, backup or transfer Wi-Fi passwords.

The Xiaomi is ~$290 so will try to check it with Win10.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 19 Dec 2015 2:06 pm

I've been pretty happy with Dropbox for personal use. Our company has a corp account with BOX and I like their integration tool.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Tue, 22 Dec 2015 6:10 am

Wondering about the security of those cloud service....

http://www.harpersbazaar.com/celebrity/ ... blackmail/

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 22 Dec 2015 7:18 am

earthfriendly wrote:Wondering about the security of those cloud service....

http://www.harpersbazaar.com/celebrity/ ... blackmail/
I expect the weakest point to be most of the time on the human side. You know, no cloud and any other service will survive protected if the user opens emails with unknown/unverified attachments, or do similar things while browsing web pages, or the attackers manage to convince customer service they are the user trying to recover the password.

propertydeal

Post by propertydeal » Thu, 24 Dec 2015 11:59 pm

Google Drive
Dropbox all seems to be pretty secure.

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Thu, 17 Jun 2021 4:12 pm

Have any of you tried pcloud? any feedback? Planning to get the lifetime subscription in it

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 19 Jun 2021 11:33 am

singaporeflyer wrote:
Thu, 17 Jun 2021 4:12 pm
Have any of you tried pcloud? any feedback? Planning to get the lifetime subscription in it
What extra value do you see in it as compared to some more popular services (dropboxes, onedrives and such)?

Personally I don't trust "lifetime" subscriptions. Nothing more ephemeral in this world than services of IT companies including their existence. At least for most of them.

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Sat, 19 Jun 2021 11:53 am

x9200 wrote:
Sat, 19 Jun 2021 11:33 am
singaporeflyer wrote:
What extra value do you see in it as compared to some more popular services (dropboxes, onedrives and such)?
  • Pay once the cost of approx 3 year subscription for getting a life time subscription.
    Another reason - price increase from dropbox has been high year on year for the last 3 years

Myasis Dragon
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 23

Post by Myasis Dragon » Sat, 19 Jun 2021 11:54 am

x9200 wrote:
Personally I don't trust "lifetime" subscriptions. Nothing more ephemeral in this world than services of IT companies including their existence. At least for most of them.
+1 on "lifetime subscriptions". It means that the company is trying to generate enough upfront capital to keep it alive through annual subscription breakeven. "Iffy", indeed.

Besides, all these firms are storing your photos with Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure or Google Cloud anyway... none of them are building their own data centers and populating them with servers.

So why not contract with MS or AWS or Google directly. Microsoft Office 365 with a terabyte of OneDrive is hard to beat for the price and with block dedupe, anything duplicated on your hard drive is only saved once, resulting in less space.

PS: Dropbox is another company that rents disks and servers from the big three.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 21 Jun 2021 2:36 am

singaporeflyer wrote:
Sat, 19 Jun 2021 11:53 am
x9200 wrote:
singaporeflyer wrote:
  • Pay once the cost of approx 3 year subscription for getting a life time subscription.
    Another reason - price increase from dropbox has been high year on year for the last 3 years
Second reason is valid but I usually avoid lifetime subscriptions mostly because it means paying a pretty big fee for service I’m not sure I would even enjoy or get much use out of.

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Tue, 24 Aug 2021 5:41 pm

punithkumarrrr wrote:
Tue, 24 Aug 2021 3:43 pm
get external storage devices like hard drives, pen drives or use google photos it will be free always.
HDD and Pen Drives crash and may not be suitable for longterm storage