Singapore Expats

The use of "Revert"

Chats, Flames, Jokes, Junks. Don't know where to post ? You've just found the right place.
GSM8
Chatter
Chatter

Re: The use of "Revert"

Post by GSM8 » Thu, 26 Mar 2015 1:30 pm

Another terminology of similarly Indian roots appears to be prepone (instead of advance) to mean the opposite of postpone

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 26 Mar 2015 1:31 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
JR8 wrote:'Revert' is (IME) an Americanism that got incorporated into corporate jargon.
Bullshit! No one in the USA uses revert. You can thank Indians for starting up this nonsensical use of the word. I shit you not. Even highly educated Indians working for Accenture in Singapore and KL continued to use 'revert' in spite of my constant pummeling them for mangling the language.

Now, it's out of control and I suppose one of these days some stupid dictionary is going to change the meaning of 'revert'.
Revert gets used a lot by IT guys, not just Indians. Its used to mean "go back to the previous version"

There is even an SQL function called Revert :P

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms178632.aspx

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms189281.aspx

Now we can argue that IT especially the Microsoft camp, is heavily dominated by Indians. :)

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 26 Mar 2015 1:52 pm

Wd40 wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:
JR8 wrote:'Revert' is (IME) an Americanism that got incorporated into corporate jargon.
Bullshit! No one in the USA uses revert. You can thank Indians for starting up this nonsensical use of the word. I shit you not. Even highly educated Indians working for Accenture in Singapore and KL continued to use 'revert' in spite of my constant pummeling them for mangling the language.

Now, it's out of control and I suppose one of these days some stupid dictionary is going to change the meaning of 'revert'.
Revert gets used a lot by IT guys, not just Indians. Its used to mean "go back to the previous version"
Uh, that's what revert means: return to (a previous state, practice, topic, etc.). It's correctly used in computing.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 26 Mar 2015 2:06 pm

Googled a bit and found this link.

http://www.itrainingexpert.com/pdf/user ... -words.pdf

I find it strange that Singaporeans and Malaysians are being implicated here. I thought most of these wrong usages are done by Indians. As far as Singaporeans and Malaysians, they vocabulary is better than us, grammer is pathetic.

MikeJones
Chatter
Chatter

Post by MikeJones » Thu, 26 Mar 2015 6:44 pm

Well for me so far I have only heard it from Singaporeans, I work with quite a few Indians as well (most based in Hyderabad and some in Australia) and have not heard the same from them. Also I've spent the last 14 years in the UK (previously in NZ and arrived in Singapore in November) and have never ever heard revert to mean reply before I arrived on the little red dot. Getting my head around outwith (apparently correct English but mainly used in Scotland) took some getting used to though :)

Mike

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 26 Mar 2015 8:47 pm

nakatago wrote: I have never heard any American or anyone speaking American English use "revert" to mean "reply." NEVER.
Ok... well I have. Maybe it was a Wall Street/00's thing, who knows.

Have you ever heard it used, and if so with what meaning? IIRC the actual meaning is to 'return to an earlier state', for example as in regressing in an evolutionary sense.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 26 Mar 2015 8:55 pm

Strong Eagle wrote: Bullshit! No one in the USA uses revert. You can thank Indians for starting up this nonsensical use of the word. I shit you not. Even highly educated Indians working for Accenture in Singapore and KL continued to use 'revert' in spite of my constant pummeling them for mangling the language. Now, it's out of control and I suppose one of these days some stupid dictionary is going to change the meaning of 'revert'.
Well I'm not making it up, I can assure you :) Plenty of the consultants we engaged on those big corporate projects back then were Andersons/Accenture/Price Waterhouse/D+T, and yes several of the ones in the senior ranks of those we engaged were Indian.

The 'Action' points always contained lots of 'reverting', and other similarly opaque jargon... I didn't consider it in an ethic sense, hence it just came over as 'corporate-speak'. There was a ongoing sense of them bombarding us with such nonsense vocab., trying to frame things in their own terms, and us always trying to get things presented in plain English.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 26 Mar 2015 9:26 pm

<imagining Singaporean pronouncing the word revert, and laughing to myself >

Can you reeeevrt it back. :D

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 27 Mar 2015 5:43 am

Wd40 wrote:
Can you reeeevrt it back. :D
/me sends it back unedited...twice.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Fri, 03 Jul 2015 10:38 am

Crikey Moses .....

One of our Customers , a very large global player in Semicon ( I know folks here like an embellish so I though I would go up a notch as MNC or Fortune 500 isnt enough) has sent a "Supplier Auidt" best practice document out to all its suppliers.

It contains the following ...

2. Acknowledgement of receipt of this package with 72hours
-By reverting an email to the sender

What the hell!!! , this is a document thats gone around the world!!!
Life is short, paddle harder!!

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 03 Jul 2015 11:37 am

Barnsley wrote:Crikey Moses .....

One of our Customers , a very large global player in Semicon ( I know folks here like an embellish so I though I would go up a notch as MNC or Fortune 500 isnt enough) has sent a "Supplier Auidt" best practice document out to all its suppliers.

Did you hear that? That's the sound of thousands of English speakers clicking on "Reply" immediately followed with a click on "Send".

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Fri, 03 Jul 2015 12:03 pm

nakatago wrote:
Barnsley wrote:Crikey Moses .....

Did you hear that? That's the sound of thousands of English speakers clicking on "Reply" immediately followed with a click on "Send".
#-o #-o
Life is short, paddle harder!!

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 03 Jul 2015 12:48 pm

Where the hell is my "Revert" button in Outlook???