Singapore Expats Forum

The use of "Revert"

Chats, Flames, Jokes, Junks. Don't know where to post ? You've just found the right place.
nakatago

The use of "Revert"

Postby nakatago » Thu, 26 Mar 2015 6:03 am

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Re: The use of "Revert"

Postby rajagainstthemachine » Thu, 26 Mar 2015 10:15 am

Neither but I'd definitely like to go back to internet 1.0 where there was no facebook,twitter and the internet was just a source of research and information than the garbage dump it is today.
and I want netscape back :(
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Thu, 26 Mar 2015 11:13 am

rajagainstthemachine wrote:Neither but I'd definitely like to go back to internet 1.0 where there was no facebook,twitter and the internet was just a source of research and information than the garbage dump it is today. and I want netscape back :(

'Revert' is (IME) an Americanism that got incorporated into corporate jargon. Probably started by management consultants, as many such mutations were, probably as it sounds punchier and more dynamic that 'reply'.

Ooh Netscape :) That was the browser we had at work here 20yrs ago, on our Unix machines. Back when soc.culture.singapore was the start and end of SGn discussion fora. Manned by a small contingent of locals, that were discreetly termed by the FTs as 'PAPbots' hehehe... They apparently were volunteers from the PAP-Youth, tasked with keeping an eye on us.

Not hard to spot:

FT: 'I think this new tax on xyz is a terrible idea, and what about this smog, the government don't seem to be doing f'ing anything about it'.
Pb: 'I would like to take this opportunity to rebut your assertions [blah blah blah for 2 pages... ]'

Hehehe... fun times
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Postby Barnsley » Thu, 26 Mar 2015 11:19 am

JR8 wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote:Neither but I'd definitely like to go back to internet 1.0 where there was no facebook,twitter and the internet was just a source of research and information than the garbage dump it is today. and I want netscape back :(

'Revert' is (IME) an Americanism that got incorporated into corporate jargon. Probably started by management consultants, as many such mutations were, probably as it sounds punchier and more dynamic that 'reply'.

Ooh Netscape :) That was the browser we had at work here 20yrs ago, on our Unix machines. Back when soc.culture.singapore was the start and end of SGn discussion fora. Manned by a small contingent of locals, that were discreetly termed by the FTs as 'PAPbots' hehehe... They apparently were volunteers from the PAP-Youth, tasked with keeping an eye on us.

Not hard to spot:

FT: 'I think this new tax on xyz is a terrible idea, and what about this smog, the government don't seem to be doing f'ing anything about it'.
Pb: 'I would like to take this opportunity to rebut your assertions [blah blah blah for 2 pages... ]'

Hehehe... fun times

The folks here do like a "rebut" or a "rebuttal" , never heard the term used so much in my life!!
Life is short, paddle harder!!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Thu, 26 Mar 2015 11:30 am

Barnsley wrote:The folks here do like a "rebut" or a "rebuttal" , never heard the term used so much in my life!!

To my ears it's rather archaic and lawyerish. I think you'd only hear it's use back home in say court-room matters.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Thu, 26 Mar 2015 11:30 am

JR8 wrote:'Revert' is (IME) an Americanism that got incorporated into corporate jargon. Probably started by management consultants, as many such mutations were, probably as it sounds punchier and more dynamic that 'reply'.

I have never heard any American or anyone speaking American English use "revert" to mean "reply."

NEVER.

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Thu, 26 Mar 2015 11:37 am

JR8 wrote:'Revert' is (IME) an Americanism that got incorporated into corporate jargon.

Bullshit! No one in the USA uses revert. You can thank Indians for starting up this nonsensical use of the word. I shit you not. Even highly educated Indians working for Accenture in Singapore and KL continued to use 'revert' in spite of my constant pummeling them for mangling the language.

Now, it's out of control and I suppose one of these days some stupid dictionary is going to change the meaning of 'revert'.

the lynx
Governor
Governor

Postby the lynx » Thu, 26 Mar 2015 11:42 am

So wrong.

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Thu, 26 Mar 2015 11:48 am

Strong Eagle wrote:
JR8 wrote:'Revert' is (IME) an Americanism that got incorporated into corporate jargon.

Bullshit! No one in the USA uses revert. You can thank Indians for starting up this nonsensical use of the word. I shit you not. Even highly educated Indians working for Accenture in Singapore and KL continued to use 'revert' in spite of my constant pummeling them for mangling the language.

Now, it's out of control and I suppose one of these days some stupid dictionary is going to change the meaning of 'revert'.

I did a quick Google search and it was a bunch of Indians feeling ashamed for being Indian because of this.

singapore eagle
Chatter
Chatter

Postby singapore eagle » Thu, 26 Mar 2015 11:52 am

Strong Eagle wrote:

I think that point is long passed.

I encounter 'revert' all the time with my clients back in the UK - many of them very educated, erudite people. Language evolves and I'd say it is now acceptable english to use 'revert' to mean 'get back to you' or 'reply'.

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Thu, 26 Mar 2015 11:57 am

singapore eagle wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:

I encounter 'revert' all the time with my clients back in the UK - many of them very educated, erudite people. Language evolves and I'd say it is now acceptable english to use 'revert' to mean 'get back to you' or 'reply'.

NEVER.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Postby rajagainstthemachine » Thu, 26 Mar 2015 11:59 am

Strong Eagle wrote:

Dear Strong Eagle,

Kindly revert your statement about Indians at once.

Do the needful.

regards

Raj

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 26 Mar 2015 12:08 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:

Dear Strong Eagle,

Do the needful.

regards

Raj

I wondered when needful would enter into this thread. [-X :lol:

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Postby rajagainstthemachine » Thu, 26 Mar 2015 12:11 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:Bullshit! No one in the USA uses revert. You can thank Indians for starting up this nonsensical use of the word. I shit you not. Even highly educated Indians working for Accenture in Singapore and KL continued to use 'revert' in spite of my constant pummeling them for mangling the language.

Dear Strong Eagle,

Do the needful.

regards

Raj

I wondered when needful would enter into this thread. [-X :lol:

Why you needlessly find needle in haystack ah?

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Thu, 26 Mar 2015 12:18 pm

singapore eagle wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:

I puke before I ever 'revert' and unless the mugg that is using that language is signing my check, I tell them to ferk off.