Singapore Expats

Healthy Desserts, are they worth it?

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.
Jason Rathinam

Healthy Desserts, are they worth it?

Post by Jason Rathinam » Wed, 25 Mar 2015 1:42 pm

I just came across a Dessert shop near Boon Keng mrt. It's called Delcie's Desserts & Cakes.

They have various types of stuff like, gluten free cakes, diabetic friendly, dairy free etc. But the price seems kinda steep. I paid 7 dollars plus for a slice of cake. Actually I dont mind paying as long as the product justifies the price. But then... I am not sure if such cakes are really good.

Has anyone tried these 'healthy' cakes before? Are the prices really justified?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Healthy Desserts, are they worth it?

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 25 Mar 2015 2:25 pm

If you have diabetes, or cannot have gluten, and you still have a sweet tooth, then yes, the price is fair. Can't be much worse that huge bite the take place when you order a tiny brownie at Starbucks and they whack you for 4.50~5.00 per piece and it's fully of sugar which is bad for you even if you don't have diabetes. So, which do you value more, the brownie or your health. I choose my health.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Wed, 25 Mar 2015 2:34 pm

question is whats wrong with gluten? do you have celiac disease or something?
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Wed, 25 Mar 2015 2:40 pm

Jason Rathinam wrote:I just came across a Dessert shop near Boon Keng mrt. It's called Delcie's Desserts & Cakes.

They have various types of stuff like, gluten free cakes, diabetic friendly, dairy free etc. But the price seems kinda steep. I paid 7 dollars plus for a slice of cake. Actually I dont mind paying as long as the product justifies the price. But then... I am not sure if such cakes are really good.

Has anyone tried these 'healthy' cakes before? Are the prices really justified?
I agree with SMS. I have a close friend who is diabetic but she loves desserts. Every time she complains on the prices of diabetic-friendly sweets and pastries (and blames the government for not controlling the living cost - funny, I know), I would remind her that her healthcare is subsidised and anyone sane in her shoes would have just given up desserts altogether for the sake of health.

On the other hand, I really feel bad for those with celiac disease (certified by doctors). Gluten presents even in almost every food staple so the price of gluten-free dessert is the last thing in their priority.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 26 Mar 2015 6:10 am

rajagainstthemachine wrote:question is whats wrong with gluten? do you have celiac disease or something?
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 26 Mar 2015 12:53 pm

BTW, are you aware that the same guy who started this gluten free insanity very recently announced that his earlier studies were methodologically incorrect and after he repeated them with more statistically relevant methodology the result were different?

Most people on gluten-free diet claimed they have something called gluten intolerance. The only case one should avoid gluten is the mentioned Coeliac disease. There is nothing like non-Coeliac disease based gluten intolerance.

Jason Rathinam

Post by Jason Rathinam » Thu, 26 Mar 2015 4:59 pm

Seems like these cakes are only for people with diabeties, dairy intolerance or stuff like that. Not for folks who do not have any of the mentioned problems.

I would not mind paying the high price if I am buying for my diabetic dad. But for myself? I am still asking myself whether i will pay the premium to buy these cakes for my own consumption, since they are after all, the healthier choice.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Thu, 26 Mar 2015 5:01 pm

Jason Rathinam wrote:Seems like these cakes are only for people with diabeties, dairy intolerance or stuff like that. Not for folks who do not have any of the mentioned problems.

I would not mind paying the high price if I am buying for my diabetic dad. But for myself? I am still asking myself whether i will pay the premium to buy these cakes for my own consumption, since they are after all, the healthier choice.
Your personal choice, buddy.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 26 Mar 2015 5:02 pm

Here's the healthy choice:
Fresh fruit.
You're welcome.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

bakening

Post by bakening » Mon, 19 Dec 2016 7:24 pm

I guess it all depends on whether you think it's worth it, how much you value this, haha. I've heard of people who are gluten intolerant, and they get brain fog or bloated stomach when they eat gluten. Not all symptoms are digestive issues. Of course, others think it's placebo effect. I guess it's a personal choice, ultimately. :)
Bakening | Real Food Bakery
See More

kimpak

Post by kimpak » Fri, 03 Mar 2017 5:56 pm

I really think that for gluten as well as for a lot of other things, what really matters is the amount you eat. Eating a little bit of gluten is OK, relying fully on bread and wheat in general to get your carbs is not. Switch it off with rice, beams, quinoa, sweet patatoes etc and it should be OK. And also, I've been there before and controlling/obsessing too much with food is NEVER healthy, even if the gluten free cake might be healthy, all the cortisol that you release by stressing out will by far overpower the effects of your diet haha. So play it like the french and enjoy all foods in moderation <3

missyqiqi
Regular
Regular

Post by missyqiqi » Tue, 21 Mar 2017 4:25 pm

i think with moderation, a little bit of unhealthy dessert is fine.
i have half a bowl of sugary dessert like once a week.

of course its difficult to tell the shop "please give me less amount" haha
they still have to charge u the same price.

health is wealth!

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 21 Mar 2017 5:46 pm

As requested:
missyqiqi wrote:i think with moderation, healthy dessert is fine.
i should not have even half a bowl of sugary dessert a week .

health is wealth!
Your friendly Moderator

missyqiqi
Regular
Regular

Post by missyqiqi » Wed, 22 Mar 2017 3:53 pm

x9200 wrote:As requested:
missyqiqi wrote:i think with moderation, healthy dessert is fine.
i should not have even half a bowl of sugary dessert a week .

health is wealth!
Your friendly Moderator
haha! u are so funny.... -^.^
half a bowl is OKAY! :D

rachelng94

Post by rachelng94 » Sat, 08 Apr 2017 1:57 pm

missyqiqi wrote:i think with moderation, a little bit of unhealthy dessert is fine.
i have half a bowl of sugary dessert like once a week.

health is wealth!
I think moderation is the best way to stay healthy. But when I have my dessert at my fav shop, I would order purple yam with louts seeds. It help my improves metabolism & the glucose level in my blood. I do notice that my complexion get better as well. They told me that they use fruit sugar to cook, not sure if its better for diabetes.