Singapore Expats Forum

Is S$9,000 monthly income enough?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

guest zz

Is S$9,000 monthly income enough?

Postby guest zz » Tue, 18 Jan 2005 2:03 pm

Is S$9,000 monthly income enough for a family of 5? I have 3 kids attending primary schools in our country. Should we relocate to Singapore,
will my income be enough for my kids to attend International Schools there (since they are not Mandarin-speakers)? Please help.Thanks!

marriedwithkids

Postby marriedwithkids » Wed, 19 Jan 2005 8:42 am

$9k a month will easily place you into the top 10% of income earners in Singapore. Whether it is sufficient or not depends on the livestyle you lead. If you dine out only in fancy restaurants and are decked on in branded attire head to toe, and drive a fancy car, 9k is not enough. Having a car in itself is already the largest portion of indirect taxation you will pay, which I'd imagine you would with 3 kids!

Intl school fees can run very high so it's best you do your sums and research before coming over here. Local schools are much cheaper but very few local schools take in foreigners so you don't really have that option even if they can speak Mandarin or any other recognised mother tounge (Malay, Tamil).

SGEduBeliever

Postby SGEduBeliever » Thu, 27 Jan 2005 10:41 am

I beg to differ, on the :
but very few local schools take in foreigners so you don't really have that option even if they can speak Mandarin or any other recognised mother tounge (Malay, Tamil).

Most Singapore school welcome foreigners, the only hurdle that might be faced is the entry exam. I am not local and I have studied in Singapore for a couple of my early years. From my own experience I would strongly encourage expat parents to enroll their young children to the local school instead of International School for the reason:
1. Discipline (this alone would be enough for me...)
2. More structured Syllabus
3. Exposure to the different culture, ethnic, etc
4. Help the children to feel more at home
5. Stress management (hehe... if they are not exposed to this early enough, how are they going to survive in this competitive world)

Guest 34

Postby Guest 34 » Fri, 18 Feb 2005 3:58 pm

I beg to differ with "marriedwithkids" that "$9k a month will easily place you into the top 10% of income earners in Singapore"
I earn $18K a month as a Director but am sure I am not in the top 10%.

SGEduBeliever, if your package does not include the kid's education and housing. You may have to live in a local flat (not a condo) which is still Ok. Try to rent one very near to the MRT station if you don't intend to drive. Otherwise, you have to also budget for a car (either 2nd hand or long term rent) which is quite expensive anyway. I have 3 kids and tried to lived without one for 8 mths and it was very convenient. My kids are 2mth to 9yrs old. Welcome to Singapore.

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Sat, 19 Feb 2005 3:16 am

Last edited by dot dot dot on Mon, 22 May 2006 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pkchukiss

Postby Pkchukiss » Sun, 20 Feb 2005 9:58 am

Guest 34 wrote:

I agree with you. You are in the top 5%.
Ignorant no more
Visit my blog here

Married with 2 kids

Postby Married with 2 kids » Thu, 24 Feb 2005 1:18 pm

9K is more than enough to spend, Some Singaporean earn 2K with 2 kids still survive very well. Live like local and mingle with local culture should be the best experience for expat. When i was posted overseas, i tried local school, eat like local etc.. learn a lot of their culture.

I am local

Postby I am local » Thu, 24 Feb 2005 4:03 pm

My dad earns only 3k per month , take home 2.4 K aft CPF deduction. There are just my parents and myself in the family.He is still able to put me thru overseas education for 4 yrs.. Like many others who mentioned in this post, you just got to work out your lifestyle.

flor

Postby flor » Sat, 26 Feb 2005 12:51 pm

Hi,

I have 4 kids, 3 are in a local school and 1 toddler yet, still survive in Singapore,

My suggestion, just live within your means. Lots of shops here will have regular "sales promotion." Duh! are they really for sale? considering that every 6 months they will have this SALE promotions?

My 2 cents worth

Cheers!
Flor

DanLee

Postby DanLee » Fri, 04 Mar 2005 10:04 am

$9k is not enough. $90k will still not be enough. Neither is $900k! It all boils down to expectations and lifestyle. So, if you're David Beckham considering this move here - forget it!

Seriously though, if you are happy to lead a simple (and still good) lifestyle, it should suffice. By that I mean;

- Simple apartment (rental <S$1.5k)
- Modest car (2nd hand mid-sized sedan)
- Average meals (homecook, food courts and occassional restaurant)
- Average attire/dressing (common, yet good brands - buy during Sales!)
- Public schooling for kids (schools are good here)
- Take short holidays in the region (good resorts in Malaysia and Bintang islands)
- Savings of about 10% and for income taxes

S$9k will be more than enough. Besides the financial aspects, consider other things Singapore has to offer. Good, clean and safe environment for you and the family. A friendly society who genuinely welcomes foreigners in their midst.

engineer

haha

Postby engineer » Fri, 04 Mar 2005 8:44 pm

some people earn less than 3k ..... with 4children and housewife still have time to go out and eat in nice restaurant. Take your blessing have fun.

marriedwithkids

Postby marriedwithkids » Mon, 07 Mar 2005 9:31 am

Guest 34 wrote:I beg to differ with "marriedwithkids" that "$9k a month will easily place you into the top 10% of income earners in Singapore"

SGEduBeliever, if your package does not include the kid's education and housing. You may have to live in a local flat (not a condo) which is still Ok. Try to rent one very near to the MRT station if you don't intend to drive. Otherwise, you have to also budget for a car (either 2nd hand or long term rent) which is quite expensive anyway. I have 3 kids and tried to lived without one for 8 mths and it was very convenient. My kids are 2mth to 9yrs old. Welcome to Singapore.

Hi Guest 34, Congratulations.

You are definitely in the top 10%, believe it or not. Actually, I believe you're more like the top 3-5% of the population. Lucky you.

Here're the official Govt. statistics based on the most recent govt census in 2000. http://www.singstat.gov.sg/papers/c2000/adr-hhinc.pdf