Singapore Expats Forum

PR Rejected last year and plan to reapply next month

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
herman_dd
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu, 19 Mar 2015

PR Rejected last year and plan to reapply next month

Postby herman_dd » Thu, 19 Mar 2015 8:48 pm

Dear Forum User,

I am Indonesian Chinese and have been working in Singapore since Aug 2007 and in Nov 2009 was relocated to United States due to company assigment, but due to some reasons I moved back to Singapore in Aug 2013. I am currently working in Singapore under employment pass sponsorship from company. I applied for PR last year in May, but got rejected in Aug last year. In the letter, it didn't indicate how long to wait before reapply. I search through the web and most people say, I have to wait at least for six months. And now I got my appointment ready for next, I think this time I should well prepare and would like to know:
- what is the chances?
- is it best time for me to apply PR now?
- my wife does not have high education.

Just a little bit of my profile:
1. I work as Software Engineer for 18 years, previously was employed by Microsoft.
2. Bachelor degree in Computer Engineer.
3. Have family all under DPs, wife and two daughters, all of them are staying in Singapore. The elder daughter is in primary school.

Thank you.
-hm

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9810
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: PR Rejected last year and plan to reapply next month

Postby ecureilx » Fri, 20 Mar 2015 12:03 am

herman_dd wrote:Dear Forum User,

I am Indonesian Chinese and have been working in Singapore since Aug 2007 and in Nov 2009 was relocated to United States due to company assigment, but due to some reasons I moved back to Singapore in Aug 2013. I am currently working in Singapore under employment pass sponsorship from company. I applied for PR last year in May, but got rejected in Aug last year. In the letter, it didn't indicate how long to wait before reapply. I search through the web and most people say, I have to wait at least for six months. And now I got my appointment ready for next, I think this time I should well prepare and would like to know:
- what is the chances?
- is it best time for me to apply PR now?
- my wife does not have high education.

Just a little bit of my profile:
1. I work as Software Engineer for 18 years, previously was employed by Microsoft.
2. Bachelor degree in Computer Engineer.
3. Have family all under DPs, wife and two daughters, all of them are staying in Singapore. The elder daughter is in primary school.

Thank you.
-hm


there is a school of thought that the wordings of the rejection letter can mean you are welcome to apply or not ..

I see you arrived in 2013 and applied in 2014

ICA likes to see 3 year Income tax returns, though this is not a deal breaker, but those I know from "Favoured" countries, who waited for 3 years got all approved, vs those who applied very soon, very rejected pretty fast.

Make your own decision, but the 3 year wait with 3 year Income tax returns improves a lot of things !

unless between the last application and now something drastically changed, like you got a 50% pay rise, or promotion, or you invented something new .. I would suggest wait for a while and apply !

herman_dd
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu, 19 Mar 2015

Re: PR Rejected last year and plan to reapply next month

Postby herman_dd » Fri, 20 Mar 2015 9:27 am

Dear Ecureilx,

Thank you so much, it helps me to understand the situation better.

Does my previously rejected application impact on my future application? Say I will apply on next year.

Thank you.
-hm

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9810
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: PR Rejected last year and plan to reapply next month

Postby ecureilx » Fri, 20 Mar 2015 9:37 am

herman_dd wrote:Dear Ecureilx,

Thank you so much, it helps me to understand the situation better.

Does my previously rejected application impact on my future application? Say I will apply on next year.

Thank you.
-hm


2013+3=2016- so 2017 for you to have the 2016 Income tax NOA, if you really want to play safe !!

What does your rejection letter say anyway ?
Last edited by ecureilx on Fri, 20 Mar 2015 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

herman_dd
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu, 19 Mar 2015

Re: PR Rejected last year and plan to reapply next month

Postby herman_dd » Fri, 20 Mar 2015 9:40 am

Dear Ecureilx,

The rejection letter didn't anything nor how I can reapply. It just says that I can continue to stay in Singapore with the valid Employment Pass.

Thanks and regards,
-hm

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Re: PR Rejected last year and plan to reapply next month

Postby nakatago » Fri, 20 Mar 2015 9:54 am

herman_dd wrote:Dear Ecureilx,

The rejection letter didn't anything nor how I can reapply. It just says that I can continue to stay in Singapore with the valid Employment Pass.

Thanks and regards,
-hm


That's the kiss of death.

User avatar
Barnsley
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2230
Joined: Tue, 10 Jun 2008
Location: Pasir Ris
Contact:

Re: PR Rejected last year and plan to reapply next month

Postby Barnsley » Fri, 20 Mar 2015 10:19 am

herman_dd wrote:Dear Ecureilx,

The rejection letter didn't anything nor how I can reapply. It just says that I can continue to stay in Singapore with the valid Employment Pass.

Thanks and regards,
-hm


In order for you to change your situation around you really need to have a major change in your circumstances.

Also the longer you are here I figure the more likely the folks making the decisions will look favourably on your application.

Whats the rush anyway?
Life is short, paddle harder!!

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9810
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: PR Rejected last year and plan to reapply next month

Postby ecureilx » Fri, 20 Mar 2015 10:53 am

Barnsley wrote:In order for you to change your situation around you really need to have a major change in your circumstances.


I did tell OP the same in my first reply ..

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3908
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Re: PR Rejected last year and plan to reapply next month

Postby Wd40 » Fri, 20 Mar 2015 10:58 am

I think people haven't noticed this part of his post:

"I work as Software Engineer for 18 years"

The age factor is going to affect you negatively. If you were here in 2008 and you didn't apply for PR, that is a hara-kiri and then you left for the US. Well, I would say, like SMS says, dont hold your breath.

herman_dd
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu, 19 Mar 2015

Re: PR Rejected last year and plan to reapply next month

Postby herman_dd » Fri, 20 Mar 2015 11:44 am

Dear Barnsley,

According to Wd40, age is my issue and that make me rush lol.

Thanks a lot every one.

-hm

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34783
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Re: PR Rejected last year and plan to reapply next month

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 20 Mar 2015 2:31 pm

Wd40 may be right if you are 45 years or older. It would seem that it a chopping point unless you have something that the country wants for themselves, e.g., a niche skillset that they current need.

User avatar
martincymru
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 470
Joined: Thu, 16 Oct 2008
Location: out & about

Re: PR Rejected last year and plan to reapply next month

Postby martincymru » Fri, 20 Mar 2015 3:09 pm

Why does the govt not give PR to someone who has all 3 as follows:
1. "highly paid, say 12k month"
2. "old", say aged 50,
3. in a profession in demand, say technical engineer?

Begs the question, what type of people do they want as PR?

User avatar
Barnsley
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2230
Joined: Tue, 10 Jun 2008
Location: Pasir Ris
Contact:

Re: PR Rejected last year and plan to reapply next month

Postby Barnsley » Fri, 20 Mar 2015 3:20 pm

martincymru wrote:Why does the govt not give PR to someone who has all 3 as follows:
1. "highly paid, say 12k month"
2. "old", say aged 50,
3. in a profession in demand, say technical engineer?

Begs the question, what type of people do they want as PR?


People who are likely to stay ...

1) Who will vote for them in the future should they get citizenship
2) Folks that are unlikely to take out their CPF money.

The older the applicant the more likely you would be to take it out in my opinion.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34783
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Re: PR Rejected last year and plan to reapply next month

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 20 Mar 2015 4:10 pm

Barnsley wrote:
martincymru wrote:Why does the govt not give PR to someone who has all 3 as follows:
1. "highly paid, say 12k month"
2. "old", say aged 50,
3. in a profession in demand, say technical engineer?

Begs the question, what type of people do they want as PR?


People who are likely to stay ...

1) Who will vote for them in the future should they get citizenship
2) Folks that are unlikely to take out their CPF money.

The older the applicant the more likely you would be to take it out in my opinion.


Highly paid does nothing for the Republic of Singapore. It does something for the business owner, so not of real bottom line interest to the Gahment if the employer is okay with it. Singapore is looking for people who, if given PR, may be inclined to stay and take up citizenship later. But even that has to have a quid pro quo. Why should the government give PR or Citizenship to someone who

a) probably doesn't really contribute anything to the government of Singapore, but only to self and employer;

b) probably already had their retirement home in the home of record;

c) and again, using the CPF ploy, their contributions at full rates would only continue for 5 more years and then the contribution rates start to drop. But, due to the cap on wages eligible for contribution, it wouldn't make it worth which for anything more than a forced retirement that will only provide peanuts later. and lastly, but not least;

d) what are the odds of a 50 year old creating offspring that will be Singapore Citizens and if male, do NS.

What you have to realize is that they have to maximize return for the giving of PR/Citizenship. Who stands to contribute longer (from an employment ability or propagation standpoint). On a small island they need to maximize as many potential points as possible.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9810
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: PR Rejected last year and plan to reapply next month

Postby ecureilx » Fri, 20 Mar 2015 6:38 pm

martincymru wrote:Why does the govt not give PR to someone who has all 3 as follows:
1. "highly paid, say 12k month"
2. "old", say aged 50,
3. in a profession in demand, say technical engineer?

Begs the question, what type of people do they want as PR?

Matter of fact they did that before ....

when lot of long term plans didn't seem to be working out in SG Inc's favour ..

Now they don't ... few years ago high pay meant PR was literally confirmed and people applied just after 6 months here ... and got it without a sweat ..


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests