Don't swear at Policeman / Policewoman

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Post Reply
User avatar
PNGMK
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8644
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 9:06 pm
Answers: 1
Location: Sinkapore

Don't swear at Policeman / Policewoman

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 18 Mar 2015 8:19 pm

The penalty is $5000 and some time in the clink.

Apparently it's a deliberate ploy in some cases to provoke members of the public into this so they can be incarcerated.

This is from the mouth of a pro bono defender so it's pretty legit.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9856
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 4:06 pm
Location: Singapore

Re: Don't swear at Policeman / Policewoman

Post by x9200 » Wed, 18 Mar 2015 9:03 pm

You mean like telling the policeman the F-word you or similar? If yes, then I would expect more than 5k.

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8348
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 11:23 pm
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children

Re: Don't swear at Policeman / Policewoman

Post by nakatago » Thu, 19 Mar 2015 5:40 am

As a general life rule, I don't curse/swear at people who:
* enforce the law who also have the authority to incarcerate me
* are carrying weapons that can be used against me
* or generally has leverage against me in their favor
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

User avatar
Barnsley
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2319
Joined: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 5:22 pm
Location: Pasir Ris
Contact:

Re: Don't swear at Policeman / Policewoman

Post by Barnsley » Thu, 19 Mar 2015 10:21 am

Is there a legal definition for "at"

What if you swear in the vicinity of said law enforcement officer, however you are swearing at yourself and not at the person tossing you into the back of the cop car?
Life is short, paddle harder!!

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8348
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 11:23 pm
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children

Re: Don't swear at Policeman / Policewoman

Post by nakatago » Thu, 19 Mar 2015 10:25 am

Barnsley wrote:Is there a legal definition for "at"

What if you swear in the vicinity of said law enforcement officer, however you are swearing at yourself and not at the person tossing you into the back of the cop car?
I reckon it has the same clarity as "outrage of modesty."
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16516
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 12:43 pm
Location: K. Puki Manis

Re: Don't swear at Policeman / Policewoman

Post by JR8 » Thu, 19 Mar 2015 10:26 am

nakatago wrote:As a general life rule, I don't curse/swear at people who:
* enforce the law who also have the authority to incarcerate me
* are carrying weapons that can be used against me
* or generally has leverage against me in their favor
Hehehe...
It's counter-intuitive how you seem to have to bow and 'yes sir/no sir' to the civil servants in some countries.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8348
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 11:23 pm
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children

Re: Don't swear at Policeman / Policewoman

Post by nakatago » Thu, 19 Mar 2015 10:29 am

JR8 wrote:
Hehehe...
It's counter-intuitive how you seem to have to bow and 'yes sir/no sir' to the civil servants in some countries.
That's because they're called bureaucrats in those countries.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5274
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010 6:29 pm
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Re: Don't swear at Policeman / Policewoman

Post by the lynx » Thu, 19 Mar 2015 10:30 am

The funny thing is that in the older days, the uniform is well-respected and anyone who serves as a uniformed personnel would be viewed with high esteem.

Nowadays it is impossible not to snigger at them, especially when some of the ones you see on the front line are only 18 years old and behaving like younger kids.

x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9856
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 4:06 pm
Location: Singapore

Re: Don't swear at Policeman / Policewoman

Post by x9200 » Thu, 19 Mar 2015 10:52 am

Barnsley wrote:Is there a legal definition for "at"

What if you swear in the vicinity of said law enforcement officer, however you are swearing at yourself and not at the person tossing you into the back of the cop car?
Swearing at a policeman is probably a special case, e.g. a verbal assault of a police officer performing his/her duties. All the other cases, not sure, but "outrage of modesty" sounds like the thing:
http://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/travel-tr ... Australian" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5274
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010 6:29 pm
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Re: Don't swear at Policeman / Policewoman

Post by the lynx » Thu, 19 Mar 2015 10:57 am

x9200 wrote:
Barnsley wrote:Is there a legal definition for "at"

What if you swear in the vicinity of said law enforcement officer, however you are swearing at yourself and not at the person tossing you into the back of the cop car?
Swearing at a policeman is probably a special case, e.g. a verbal assault of a police officer performing his/her duties. All the other cases, not sure, but "outrage of modesty" sounds like the thing:
http://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/travel-tr ... Australian" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What happened to the first potty-mouthed guy who provoked the Aussie to do the same? :-/

Primrose Hill
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 433
Joined: Tue, 05 Aug 2008 5:20 pm

Re: Don't swear at Policeman / Policewoman

Post by Primrose Hill » Thu, 19 Mar 2015 11:17 am

JR8 wrote:
nakatago wrote:As a general life rule, I don't curse/swear at people who:
* enforce the law who also have the authority to incarcerate me
* are carrying weapons that can be used against me
* or generally has leverage against me in their favor
Hehehe...
It's counter-intuitive how you seem to have to bow and 'yes sir/no sir' to the civil servants in some countries.
That happened to me at Luton :mad: :mad: Immigration officer was not convinced that i speak fluent English nor a contributing member of society -aka working not claiming dole and I did not marry out of convienence :shock:

Immigration on Eurostar too from Paris to London 2years ago. Refused to allow me to use the EU immigration lane. Forcibly made me go to the outter Siberia :D

x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9856
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 4:06 pm
Location: Singapore

Re: Don't swear at Policeman / Policewoman

Post by x9200 » Thu, 19 Mar 2015 11:26 am

the lynx wrote:
x9200 wrote:
Barnsley wrote:Is there a legal definition for "at"

What if you swear in the vicinity of said law enforcement officer, however you are swearing at yourself and not at the person tossing you into the back of the cop car?
Swearing at a policeman is probably a special case, e.g. a verbal assault of a police officer performing his/her duties. All the other cases, not sure, but "outrage of modesty" sounds like the thing:
http://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/travel-tr ... Australian" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What happened to the first potty-mouthed guy who provoked the Aussie to do the same? :-/
Good question, but judging from the usual modus operandi of the local police, they put the right weight to right place so perhaps he just received a warning. Besides, I would also expect, the fact that all this was on board and the Aussie guy probably disobeyed to what the cabin crew told him at one point, was also an important factor. Hard to believe somebody gets canned just for swearing.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Staying, Living in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests