Singapore Expats

Should we apply for PR or wait

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
ani.india1981

Should we apply for PR or wait

Post by ani.india1981 » Wed, 18 Mar 2015 8:08 pm

Both Indians..I am working in Singapore for 2.5 years…working in an electronic company….base salary 9K PM (have some small stock options)…age 34..wife same age…working in an IT …in IT kinda manager role …salary around 8K..She is in Singapore for 2 years…Recently got her 3 year EP..No Kid..

Both have decent education(al) background…Spent last 5 years in US/Germany and Wife in US/London..
I am a core member of one of the biggest open source (quite famous) project.. If we decide to apply should I mention that in the application?
Last edited by ani.india1981 on Wed, 18 Mar 2015 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Should we apply for PR or wait

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 18 Mar 2015 8:25 pm

ani.india1981 wrote:Both Indians..I am working in Singapore for 2.5 years…working in an electronic company….base salary 9K PM (have some small stock options)…age 34..wife same age…working in an IT …in IT kinda manager role …salary around 8K..She is in Singapore for 2 years…Recently got her 3 year EP..No Kid..

Both have decent educational background…Spent last 5 years in US/Germany and Wife in US/London
I am a core member of one of the biggest open source (quite famous) project.. If we decide to apply should I mention that in the application?

I checked my tea leaves.... the answer is in the wind.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

ani.india1981

Post by ani.india1981 » Wed, 18 Mar 2015 9:08 pm

@PNG... I feel jealous when I see people have so much time & energy to waste…Fell someday I would be lucky enough to have time to write anything for fun..

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Wed, 18 Mar 2015 9:37 pm

ani.india1981 wrote:Both Indians..I am working in Singapore for 2.5 years…working in an electronic company….base salary 9K PM (have some small stock options)…age 34..wife same age…working in an IT …in IT kinda manager role …salary around 8K..She is in Singapore for 2 years…Recently got her 3 year EP..No Kid..

Both have decent educational background…Spent last 5 years in US/Germany and Wife in US/London
Yes, I can see that from your sentence construction. :P

ani.india1981

Post by ani.india1981 » Wed, 18 Mar 2015 9:46 pm

wow...now I m learning how to waste time..(Plz read my last msg)...education(al) might not be an English word but that's not a non-acceptable word either in normal world!

=D> thumps up guys!!! learning a lot of things from you :shock:
Last edited by ani.india1981 on Wed, 18 Mar 2015 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Wed, 18 Mar 2015 9:50 pm

Yes you should apply, why not, give it a shot, the only way to find out if you are wanted here or not is to apply.
But don't be disappointed if the outcome is negative, as Indians are not on the list of favorable races at the moment.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

ani.india1981

Post by ani.india1981 » Wed, 18 Mar 2015 10:00 pm

Wd40 wrote:

Yes, I can see that from your sentence construction. :P
1. See what ?
I can understand / realize / ....

2. that ?
that is referring to what ?

3. from your sentence construction ?
either from your sen.... or style of your sen.. constr...

Sirji, you first learn how to write [-X ... English is not even 6/7th language for me...I can afford to write bad English because I am good quite in first 5/6 languages #-o (such as F#, jQuery, C++....)
Last edited by ani.india1981 on Wed, 18 Mar 2015 10:38 pm, edited 4 times in total.

ani.india1981

Post by ani.india1981 » Wed, 18 Mar 2015 10:12 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:Yes you should apply, why not, give it a shot, the only way to find out if you are wanted here or not is to apply.
But don't be disappointed if the outcome is negative, as Indians are not on the list of favorable races at the moment.
Thanks…just realized the same after going through this forum; Seems like it’s hard to get PR for Indians (or may be a perception)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 18 Mar 2015 10:53 pm

It's not a perception. From 2000 until 2010, Singapore was on an IT Hub drive and were hiring the best, cheapest programmers that they could find and laying out the red carpet for them. Sub-continentals fit the bill to a "T" as they were literate in English, a fair number of them had already done a year or more in the US, UK, Canada, Aus. etc. but were looking to "be closer to home" and still make a fairly decent salary. So it became a circle-jerk. Sadly, this country is run by the Chinese so when they realized that they had eroded their 78 percent majority by around 2% primarily due to a 2% increase in the Indian population here. The locals went ballistic during the 2011 General Election. This cause major damage to the governing party and in order to mollify the population and correct the demographic imbalance (in their eyes) they have severely curtailed the adoption of EPs & PEP from gaining PR and PR's applying for Citizenship if they are from the Sub-continent. Add to that, the economic drive to kill all the FTs in Singapore partially because they believe the FT HR managers are only hiring their own kind and partially their fear of further election damages next year, there you have it.

So, apply. One of two things will happen. You will get rejected or you will be given PR. If you don't apply - you're rejected! But go into it knowing the cards are very heavily stacked against you (we've seen them with salaries over 250K/pa get rejected while Single M'sian Chinese gals with a degree and $5k/mo salaries get PR. You need a thick skin if you are going to apply. Good Luck.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ani.india1981

Post by ani.india1981 » Wed, 18 Mar 2015 11:20 pm

Thanks for your reply. I really appreciate your time & effort; Nice to know the background for all these.

I am planning to leave my job in 8-10 mnths time to fully focus on our open source project, and start a company with 3/4 employees to support all the existing customers & move the product to the next level. Few SMEs in Malaysia and Singapore are using our product (not as many as in India or US); So, my initial idea was to start it in Singapore because my wife is loving the safety & freedom Singapore provides.

I have gone through many topics in the forum and what I understood 2/3 yrs of stay is quite good enough. So, ‘ll go ahead. If I get the PR then good else I 'll go back to Bangalore and wife 'll continue here with her EP.

Thanks again.

midlet2013
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by midlet2013 » Thu, 19 Mar 2015 10:30 am

U shd apply. I thinking people here make sweeping generalizations about IT. I agree that ICA may not recognize the fact that you contribute to open source as a sign that you are not a wannabe developer, but a good one. But you should highlight it. I feel that they can sense who is good and who is just cashing on the IT wave. I strongly believe that excellent people in IT are still getting PRs. Just that most people here in Singapore are simply not good. This is my 3rd year of working in SG and I can see it.

Since your wife works too, its an added advantage. I always feel that both couple working gives a big advantage in an application. A lot of Indian applicants usually have 1 person working and that mite be contributing in a negative way.

Our profile is similar. Both of us work in MNCs. The only difference is that my wife and I studied here. But that should not matter once you are in industry, unless the duration of stay matters. Even if it helped us a bit, its not like we paid taxes while we studied here. Though it mite have shown that we mite live here in the long run, which is not guaranteed.

I am 100% sure if I had posted my review before I applied for PR, I would have heard the same negative crap. Just apply and try your luck. I waited for 10 months for approval.

Good Luck
ani.india1981 wrote:Thanks for your reply. I really appreciate your time & effort; Nice to know the background for all these.

I am planning to leave my job in 8-10 mnths time to fully focus on our open source project, and start a company with 3/4 employees to support all the existing customers & move the product to the next level. Few SMEs in Malaysia and Singapore are using our product (not as many as in India or US); So, my initial idea was to start it in Singapore because my wife is loving the safety & freedom Singapore provides.

I have gone through many topics in the forum and what I understood 2/3 yrs of stay is quite good enough. So, ‘ll go ahead. If I get the PR then good else I 'll go back to Bangalore and wife 'll continue here with her EP.

Thanks again.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 19 Mar 2015 11:03 am

ani.india1981 wrote: Sirji, you first learn how to write [-X ... English is not even 6/7th language for me...I can afford to write bad English because I am good quite in first 5/6 languages #-o (such as F#, jQuery, C++....)
I wonder what language you use at home ....

Anyway apply ... in more than 30 or cases last year I know of , just 2 or so got PR, the rejected ones include a guy about your age AND also involved in some very very large open source project, and all above are from sub con and all in IT.

Ps, your words show subtle superiority???? Or is there such a word ?
I am referring to your ease of use of Sirji...

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 19 Mar 2015 11:09 am

ani.india1981 wrote: I am good quite in first 5/6 languages #-o (such as F#, jQuery, C++....)
Oh you're one of those types who write code no one else seems to understand, doesn't put proper comments and give other developers a hard time. :x

Just because it runs when you wrote it, it doesn't mean it will keep doing so when someone else has to modify your part of the code base.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

ani.india1981

Post by ani.india1981 » Thu, 19 Mar 2015 11:24 am

ecureilx wrote:
ani.india1981 wrote: Sirji, you first learn how to write [-X ... English is not even 6/7th language for me...I can afford to write bad English because I am good quite in first 5/6 languages #-o (such as F#, jQuery, C++....)
I wonder what language you use at home ....

Anyway apply ... in more than 30 or cases last year I know of , just 2 or so got PR, the rejected ones include a guy about your age AND also involved in some very very large open source project, and all above are from sub con and all in IT.

Ps, your words show subtle superiority???? Or is there such a word ?
I am referring to your ease of use of Sirji...
I use my mother tongue and don't care about English...I wrote that sentence because that fellow was pointing mistakes in my usage of English..So, I was trying to show him/her a mirror

ani.india1981

Post by ani.india1981 » Thu, 19 Mar 2015 11:29 am

nakatago wrote:
ani.india1981 wrote: I am good quite in first 5/6 languages #-o (such as F#, jQuery, C++....)
Oh you're one of those types who write code no one else seems to understand, doesn't put proper comments and give other developers a hard time. :x

Just because it runs when you wrote it, it doesn't mean it will keep doing so when someone else has to modify your part of the code base.
Yes, Sir. I am that type of coder but we don't make fun of others because of their knowledge (or lack of it). I have moved from the bottom of the ladder to a position where I know everyone achieve what they want if they don’t waste time and mind their own business.

Life is too short to make fun of others…