Singapore Expats

Should we apply for PR or wait

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
ani.india1981

Re: Should we apply for PR or wait

Post by ani.india1981 » Thu, 19 Mar 2015 11:36 am

midlet2013 wrote:U shd apply. I thinking people here make sweeping generalizations about IT. I agree that ICA may not recognize the fact that you contribute to open source as a sign that you are not a wannabe developer, but a good one. But you should highlight it. I feel that they can sense who is good and who is just cashing on the IT wave. I strongly believe that excellent people in IT are still getting PRs. Just that most people here in Singapore are simply not good. This is my 3rd year of working in SG and I can see it.

Since your wife works too, its an added advantage. I always feel that both couple working gives a big advantage in an application. A lot of Indian applicants usually have 1 person working and that mite be contributing in a negative way.

Our profile is similar. Both of us work in MNCs. The only difference is that my wife and I studied here. But that should not matter once you are in industry, unless the duration of stay matters. Even if it helped us a bit, its not like we paid taxes while we studied here. Though it mite have shown that we mite live here in the long run, which is not guaranteed.

I am 100% sure if I had posted my review before I applied for PR, I would have heard the same negative crap. Just apply and try your luck. I waited for 10 months for approval.

Good Luck
Thanks…Hope people learn humbleness from your writing…We have decided to apply but without putting too much hope.
Thanks Again!

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 19 Mar 2015 11:50 am

ani.india1981 wrote: Thanks…Hope people learn humbleness from your writing…We have decided to apply but without putting too much hope.

Thanks Again!

You sound arrogant yourself.

You don't care about English? How about people you need to interact with and that's your only common language? A lot of people complain about Singlish but Singapore still uses English in official matters. That's pretty arrogant to think you want to permanently reside in Singapore not caring about English and only using your mother tongue.

You achieve what you want? What if what you do gets in the way of what other people want? What if you're all trying to achieve a common goal but you get in their way? Do you know what teamwork is? If one way to get what you want means unnecessarily ruining things for other people, would you do it?

I'm not making fun of you...I'm highlighting your attitude that just because you want things, you should get them.

What are you gonna do now? Tell me I'm wasting time? Tell me I'm being arrogant? Tell me that if I don't have anything to add to the topic, not post anything at all? You're not the first person to post here with that sense of arrogant entitlement.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

midlet2013
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by midlet2013 » Thu, 19 Mar 2015 12:04 pm

I can not see how the OP's first post had any entitlement issues. He simply asked if he should apply. And he did mention some points he thinks differentiate him from generic developers like tougher languages and open source stuff. That does not make him arrogant. If one does not think he/she is worth PR, why would ICA think so.

You guys just pushed him into a corner and he was forced to make such comments.

Singapore is full of people who act like they know stuff but all they can do is manage, talk and delegate. We should actually hope that good developers come here so the shitty software culture changes.

If u ask me, 80% IT people shd get PR rejected. They are simply replacable.

English - Thank goodness the guy is in IT. English is not such a key ingredient for such work. And since when is Excellent English a criterion for PR.

nakatago wrote:
ani.india1981 wrote: Thanks…Hope people learn humbleness from your writing…We have decided to apply but without putting too much hope.

Thanks Again!

You don't care about English? How about people you need to interact with and that's your only common language? A lot of people complain about Singlish but Singapore still uses English in official matters. That's pretty arrogant to think you want to permanently reside in Singapore not caring about English and only using your mother tongue.

You achieve what you want? What if what you do gets in the way of what other people want? What if you're all trying to achieve a common goal but you get in their way? Do you know what teamwork is? If one way to get what you want means unnecessarily ruining things for other people, would you do it?

I'm not making fun of you...I'm highlighting your attitude that just because you want things, you should get them.

What are you gonna do now? Tell me I'm wasting time? Tell me I'm being arrogant? Tell me that if I don't have anything to add to the topic, not post anything at all? You're not the first person to post here with that sense of arrogant entitlement.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 19 Mar 2015 12:15 pm

midlet2013 wrote:I can not see how the OP's first post had any entitlement issues. He simply asked if he should apply. And he did mention some points he thinks differentiate him from generic developers like tougher languages and open source stuff. That does not make him arrogant. If one does not think he/she is worth PR, why would ICA think so.

Singapore is full of people who act like they know stuff but all they can do is manage, talk and delegate. We should actually hope that good developers come here so the shitty software culture changes.

English - Thank goodness the guy is in IT. English is not such a key ingredient for such work. And since when is Excellent English a criterion for PR.
But still is. What ticked me off what he was even proud not to use English, as if he won't need to talk to other IT people who doesn't speak his language. That is one sign of his arrogance. How would you feel if a Russian developer reviewed your code but he only insists that you communicate only in Russian? Or if you reviewed his code and his variables, function names and classes are named in Russian?

Excellent English doesn't have to be a criterion for PR but is sure is necessary to know and actually want to use a English to integrate into an English-speaking society (no matter how badly they mangled it).
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

ani.india1981

Post by ani.india1981 » Thu, 19 Mar 2015 12:23 pm

I think you are correct..I read all my comments again and did fell tone was not good at times.
Need to have more control on my emotions.
But I honestly feel, these kinds of discussions are waste of time. But, I am finding difficult to resist myself in replying and I know someone else ‘ll reply.
I just asked a simple question…Should I apply or not. I meant is 2.5 years good enough or should we wait. Someone is telling my English is not good. Someone is giving some wind answer…May be I don’t belong to this Group (Now don’t assume I am saying anything good/bad about any individual or group)
Why people assume so much; did I ever mention I am in to IT. I wrote my wife is into IT. I am working in an electronics company. (in R & D dept ; won’t mention designation else people will complain). But I have been a coder from my college days and love doing it.Till date it has been just a hobby and has no relationship with my professional career. The product I am talking about needs 90% business knowledge and 10% IT knowledge.
Anyway, Thanks all for your time.

Have a good day :-)
Last edited by ani.india1981 on Thu, 19 Mar 2015 12:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 19 Mar 2015 12:44 pm

Writing badly, willfully, is being disrespectful to the language. I ask OP to write in his mother tongue exactly how he has written in his 1st post and then see how disgusting it looks. When its in another language we don't get the effect like if its in our language.

Even Singaporeans, when I hear them eat off the last alphabets of words, I feel like going and chocking their throat.

bro75
Reporter
Reporter

Post by bro75 » Thu, 19 Mar 2015 12:59 pm

In fairness to the OP, his English is not really that much worse compared to the average speaker/writer in this part of the world.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 19 Mar 2015 1:02 pm

Yes, not his English, just the way he has written. 2 words and then ....

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Thu, 19 Mar 2015 1:33 pm

nakatago wrote: . How would you feel if a Russian developer reviewed your code but he only insists that you communicate only in Russian? Or if you reviewed his code and his variables, function names and classes are named in Russian?
lol i've had this happen to me before :lol: :lol: a certain Mikhail Morozov drove me up the wall. he would use an english translator which translated everything to gibberish.
the case ticket went on for months and then they yanked the case from me and assigned it to a Chinese guy, who then wrote back to me saying how i managed to work with the Russian for 6 months.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 19 Mar 2015 1:41 pm

midlet2013 wrote:I can not see how the OP's first post had any entitlement issues. He simply asked if he should apply. And he did mention some points he thinks differentiate him from generic developers like tougher languages and open source stuff. That does not make him arrogant. If one does not think he/she is worth PR, why would ICA think so.

nakatago wrote:

Thanks Again!

One of the often quoted reason for local Indians to resent new arrivals is the new arrivals insisting the natives change to the new arrivals' styles .. and being very vocal about it doesn't help. It's all About forming impressions and the impression that has come to exemplify an Indian from India of late (again from what I know) hasn't been doing much favours..

And that has gone on to affect the chances of deserving Indians getting not just PR but SC as well, again, just only from what I have seen.

I.e. integration with the natives ..

I don't know which part of India you hail from but .. that JI part was a subtle message .. or so I thought .. I may be wrong ..

No sweat .

Btw to OP. If you want sugar coated answers you should not ask questions in forums where people speak their mind and share their experiences and knowledge

You should just communicate with ICA and be happy with their standard "we neither confirm nor deny ... " kind of reply ..

Pardon me if I said too much ..
ani.india1981 wrote:
ecureilx wrote:
ani.india1981 wrote: Sirji, you first learn how to write [-X ... English is not even 6/7th language for me...I can afford to write bad English because I am good quite in first 5/6 languages #-o (such as F#, jQuery, C++....)
I wonder what language you use at home ....

Anyway apply ... in more than 30 or cases last year I know of , just 2 or so got PR, the rejected ones include a guy about your age AND also involved in some very very large open source project, and all above are from sub con and all in IT.

Ps, your words show subtle superiority???? Or is there such a word ?
I am referring to your ease of use of Sirji...
I use my mother tongue and don't care about English...I wrote that sentence because that fellow was pointing mistakes in my usage of English..So, I was trying to show him/her a mirror

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 19 Mar 2015 1:42 pm

Wd40 wrote:Yes, not his English, just the way he has written. 2 words and then ....
Precisely...

ani.india1981

Post by ani.india1981 » Thu, 19 Mar 2015 2:13 pm

Sorry guys!!! For wasting your time & energy.. I am the most stupid, arrogant and illiterate (add any other adjective if that brings a smile on your face) person..Yes I don’t deserve PR…

Any Mod here, please close this topic. Don’t want anyone else to waste their time on these non-senses…It’s very difficult to read something and not get enticed to reply.

midlet2013
Chatter
Chatter

Post by midlet2013 » Thu, 19 Mar 2015 2:39 pm

I say do not be overly sensitive.

Last week, I saw this new movie Cinderalla. The key message was courage and kindness. How one writes english on this casual forum should not matter at all, as long as the point is made.

Secondly, people can be overly candid on a forum like this. But will they ever criticise their boss if his english sucked. Most of them here are angry people who think being rude is okay as long as what they are saying is the truth. The same people lie through the roof in real interactions.

Apply for your PR. You guys are earning well. Enjoy life. And in case you think you might be rejected, work on Plan B.

Do not be attached to a place unless the place welcomes and wants you too.
ani.india1981 wrote:Sorry guys!!! For wasting your time & energy.. I am the most stupid, arrogant and illiterate (add any other adjective if that brings a smile on your face) person..Yes I don’t deserve PR…

Any Mod here, please close this topic. Don’t want anyone else to waste their time on these non-senses…It’s very difficult to read something and not get enticed to reply.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 19 Mar 2015 3:07 pm

midlet2013 wrote:.
Secondly, people can be overly candid on a forum like this. But will they ever criticise their boss if his english sucked. Most of them here are angry people who think being rude is okay as long as what they are saying is the truth. The same people lie through the roof in real interactions..
]
Image Image Image Image

Does the saying if you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen - come to mind ?

And it was not much about the English but more about the tone ....Image Image

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 19 Mar 2015 3:09 pm

ani.india1981 wrote:Sorry guys!!! For wasting your time & energy.. I am the most stupid, arrogant and illiterate (add any other adjective if that brings a smile on your face) person..Yes I don’t deserve PR…

And before you and midlet throw wild accusations and call names, ... note that some of the contributors are from Sub Continent or have roots or are closely connected to IN.