Singapore Expats Forum

Re: Singapore is the 2nd highest consumers of Shark Fins sou

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9812
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: Singapore is the 2nd highest consumers of Shark Fins sou

Postby ecureilx » Wed, 18 Mar 2015 7:36 pm

Actually if you go after those fishing vessels with flags of convenience ... fishing in waters of countries that are unable to enforce any action ... a lot of supply will vanish .. and the world's largest such vessels are owned by PRC and TW companies I believe ..

This post is made in response to a no shark fin soup campaign spammer who is now on a two weeks break.

Moderator

User avatar
Barnsley
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2292
Joined: Tue, 10 Jun 2008
Location: Pasir Ris
Contact:

Re: Singapore is the 2nd highest consumers of Shark Fins sou

Postby Barnsley » Thu, 19 Mar 2015 10:18 am

The Govt will be disappointed .............
Life is short, paddle harder!!

whiteflag
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu, 05 Mar 2015

Re: Singapore is the 2nd highest consumers of Shark Fins sou

Postby whiteflag » Mon, 30 Mar 2015 11:27 am

many restaurants in Singapore have stopped serving shark fins on their menu

but with China being the largest consumer,it makes no difference really

User avatar
Barnsley
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2292
Joined: Tue, 10 Jun 2008
Location: Pasir Ris
Contact:

Re: Singapore is the 2nd highest consumers of Shark Fins sou

Postby Barnsley » Mon, 30 Mar 2015 12:44 pm

whiteflag wrote:many restaurants in Singapore have stopped serving shark fins on their menu

but with China being the largest consumer,it makes no difference really


So your point is that folk shouldn't do anything then?
Life is short, paddle harder!!

whiteflag
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu, 05 Mar 2015

Re: Singapore is the 2nd highest consumers of Shark Fins sou

Postby whiteflag » Mon, 30 Mar 2015 1:05 pm

Barnsley wrote:
whiteflag wrote:many restaurants in Singapore have stopped serving shark fins on their menu

but with China being the largest consumer,it makes no difference really


So your point is that folk shouldn't do anything then?


that is not what i'm trying to say

i'm just looking at the bigger picture

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9320
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Re: Singapore is the 2nd highest consumers of Shark Fins sou

Postby x9200 » Mon, 30 Mar 2015 1:09 pm

whiteflag wrote:
Barnsley wrote:
whiteflag wrote:many restaurants in Singapore have stopped serving shark fins on their menu

but with China being the largest consumer,it makes no difference really


So your point is that folk shouldn't do anything then?


that is not what i'm trying to say

i'm just looking at the bigger picture

And you look at the bigger picture for what reason?

whiteflag
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu, 05 Mar 2015

Re: Singapore is the 2nd highest consumers of Shark Fins sou

Postby whiteflag » Mon, 30 Mar 2015 1:13 pm

And you look at the bigger picture for what reason?[/quote]

if a country as large as China with over 1 billion population close to 20% of the world population isn't going to stop eating shark fins

even if everyone in Singapore with a mere population of 5 million stops eating shark fin

it isn't going to change anything

User avatar
Barnsley
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2292
Joined: Tue, 10 Jun 2008
Location: Pasir Ris
Contact:

Re: Singapore is the 2nd highest consumers of Shark Fins sou

Postby Barnsley » Mon, 30 Mar 2015 2:22 pm

whiteflag wrote:And you look at the bigger picture for what reason?


if a country as large as China with over 1 billion population close to 20% of the world population isn't going to stop eating shark fins

even if everyone in Singapore with a mere population of 5 million stops eating shark fin

it isn't going to change anything[/quote]

So best not change anything in Singapore then?
Life is short, paddle harder!!

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9812
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: Singapore is the 2nd highest consumers of Shark Fins sou

Postby ecureilx » Mon, 30 Mar 2015 8:16 pm

That's going south pretty fast

whiteflag
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu, 05 Mar 2015

Re: Singapore is the 2nd highest consumers of Shark Fins sou

Postby whiteflag » Tue, 31 Mar 2015 9:28 am

Barnsley wrote:
whiteflag wrote:And you look at the bigger picture for what reason?


if a country as large as China with over 1 billion population close to 20% of the world population isn't going to stop eating shark fins

even if everyone in Singapore with a mere population of 5 million stops eating shark fin

it isn't going to change anything


So best not change anything in Singapore then?[/quote]

facts and statistics don't lie

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5272
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Re: Singapore is the 2nd highest consumers of Shark Fins sou

Postby the lynx » Tue, 31 Mar 2015 10:06 am

whiteflag wrote:
Barnsley wrote:
whiteflag wrote:if a country as large as China with over 1 billion population close to 20% of the world population isn't going to stop eating shark fins

even if everyone in Singapore with a mere population of 5 million stops eating shark fin

it isn't going to change anything


So best not change anything in Singapore then?


facts and statistics don't lie


This is where abilities don't lie either. Either you parrot off facts or you dissect them.

What can you infer from these facts and statistics presented above?

whiteflag
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu, 05 Mar 2015

Re: Singapore is the 2nd highest consumers of Shark Fins sou

Postby whiteflag » Tue, 31 Mar 2015 10:26 am

]This is where abilities don't lie either. Either you parrot off facts or you dissect them.

What can you infer from these facts and statistics presented above?[/quote]

if just 1% of china population eats shark fin it is around 13million

even if 100% of singapore population is only around 5million

do i have to teach u the maths? Yes u are right abilities don't lie

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35168
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Re: Singapore is the 2nd highest consumers of Shark Fins sou

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 31 Mar 2015 1:46 pm

whiteflag wrote:
"This is where abilities don't lie either. Either you parrot off facts or you dissect them.

What can you infer from these facts and statistics presented above?"


if just 1% of china population eats shark fin it is around 13million

even if 100% of singapore population is only around 5million

do i have to teach u the maths? Yes u are right abilities don't lie


You really don't get it do you. I feel so sorry for you.

A damn can burst eventually from a single drop of water. By itself, a single drop cannot hurt too much, but as more and more drops are felt, eventually, they can wear away a continent. Witness the Grand Canyon. A single drop of water finding itself a way through the concrete wall of a dam will show the way for other drops of water until those drops become a stream and the stream eventually erodes the massive will of the concrete dam until it gives way. You must be a Singaporean, as you think math is the be all and end all. There is a lot more to life than just adding & subtracting. In fact, Singaporeans aren't that great in math either, come to think of it, as they cannot multiply worth a damn, otherwise you would have a much higher TFR than 1.15. :P

User avatar
Barnsley
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2292
Joined: Tue, 10 Jun 2008
Location: Pasir Ris
Contact:

Re: Singapore is the 2nd highest consumers of Shark Fins sou

Postby Barnsley » Tue, 31 Mar 2015 3:11 pm

whiteflag wrote:]This is where abilities don't lie either. Either you parrot off facts or you dissect them.

What can you infer from these facts and statistics presented above?

if just 1% of china population eats shark fin it is around 13million

even if 100% of singapore population is only around 5million

do i have to teach u the maths? Yes u are right abilities don't lie


So again , you are saying Singapore shouldn't stop because China isn't go to stop?

Have you ever stopped doing something because its right to do so?

Or do you only have the ability to be a follower and not a leader?
Life is short, paddle harder!!

whiteflag
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu, 05 Mar 2015

Re: Singapore is the 2nd highest consumers of Shark Fins sou

Postby whiteflag » Tue, 31 Mar 2015 4:20 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
whiteflag wrote:
"This is where abilities don't lie either. Either you parrot off facts or you dissect them.

What can you infer from these facts and statistics presented above?"


if just 1% of china population eats shark fin it is around 13million

even if 100% of singapore population is only around 5million

do i have to teach u the maths? Yes u are right abilities don't lie


You really don't get it do you. I feel so sorry for you.

A damn can burst eventually from a single drop of water. By itself, a single drop cannot hurt too much, but as more and more drops are felt, eventually, they can wear away a continent. Witness the Grand Canyon. A single drop of water finding itself a way through the concrete wall of a dam will show the way for other drops of water until those drops become a stream and the stream eventually erodes the massive will of the concrete dam until it gives way. You must be a Singaporean, as you think math is the be all and end all. There is a lot more to life than just adding & subtracting. In fact, Singaporeans aren't that great in math either, come to think of it, as they cannot multiply worth a damn, otherwise you would have a much higher TFR than 1.15. :P


Yes I am a Singaporean who loves eating shark fin soup.

Since when does TFR has anything to do with math? Going by your assumption whoever breeds the most would be the best in Maths...........Bravo =D> =D> =D>

I assume that u are a foreign immigrant working in Singapore and by the way you reply I assume that u are a Caucasian

Times have changed and there is a reason why u are here on the other half of the world serving us

Preach your rightist a dam can eventually burst from a single drop of water to your fellow foreign workers


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests