Singapore Expats

Lee Kuan Yew

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Lee Kuan Yew

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 08 Jul 2015 10:09 pm

You can thank laws preventing disciplining of children for that. They are molly-coddled to the point that they are incapable of learning how to be self reliant as they grow up knowing that they can be spoiled, demanding, brats and the law will protect them. Therefore they have know knowledge how to pull themselves up by the bootstraps.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 08 Jul 2015 10:33 pm

For the past year, I've been mentoring at risk high school age boys. Most have been in contact with the juvenile justice system (what a joke name) at least once. Boys range in age from 14 to 18.

Some of these boys are incredibly naive. They're not molly-coddled, they've never been taught. They don't understand how things work. They don't need to be treated as an adult. They need to be treated as teenagers.

Some of these boys have already been around the block. The majority of them have a lot of anger in them. The boys I mentor know they are on essentially their last chance to graduate and make something of themselves. Even the toughest guys deserve an opportunity to clean up their lives and not just be jammed into the adult system where they will be f*cked over.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 09 Jul 2015 7:32 am

We take so many things for granted. We think if one works hard it is good enough to end up fine and maybe even happy, but we tend to forget this applies to our situation and not necessary to other people.

Most of us does not even realise how lucky we are to be born in a specific country to this and not other parents and to grow up in some friendly neighbourhood and that this is something that determines our whole lives often much more than anything we can do independently by ourselves.
So yes, I would give a 16yo still some credits, especially in a case like this one where I don't think he needs to be jail-isolated from the society. He probably needs more help than punishment.

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Thu, 09 Jul 2015 10:43 am

Amos saw that the emperor has no clothes and he voiced his opinions. And he does not understand why is it wrong to voice your opinions. He is a boy with strong convictions and passion. Not that different from LKY himself, albeit his method of communication can detract from his message. But you know what, he is still a young boy, a brash teenager, there is lots of room to mature and blossom.

I agree with his mom, Amos is a fantastic boy, just born in the wrong country.

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Thu, 09 Jul 2015 10:57 am

Everybody, young and old, is very capable of rehabilitation. To grow and mature. If offered a condusive environment. However, there is one group where chances are much slimmer, the mentally ill. The Yellow Ribbon project in SG has been quite successful in its effort to reintegrate ex-offenders into society. And then there's Father Gregory Boyle of Home Boy Industries.

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Thu, 09 Jul 2015 11:13 am

x9200 wrote:We take so many things for granted. We think if one works hard it is good enough to end up fine and maybe even happy, but we tend to forget this applies to our situation and not necessary to other people.
Each person has his own way of going about learning how the world works. There are some who need to go thru the school of hard knocks. They will question the status quo, push the limit and keep testing. That is how they gather information about the world they live in. And you know what, many such individuals have passionate personalities, a strong zest for life. If we have a way to channel their energy to constructive use, society will reap the rewards.

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Sat, 11 Jul 2015 10:51 am

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php? ... 8914699053
Lee Yue Heng But Amos, the people of Hong Kong (or at least some of them) demonstrated for you to be freed! Don't you owe them a little something?
Like · Reply · 13 · 15 hrs
Hide 17 Replies

Katherine Ko He doesn't owe anyone anything.

P.S. I'm from Hong Kong
Like · 69 · 15 hrs

Leopard Iron yup,he doesn't owe anyone
Like · 5 · 15 hrs

Queenie Mok I am a Hongkonger also. Amos doesn't owe anyone.
Like · 14 · 15 hrs · Edited

Ruby Ha As a Hongkonger, I support Amos, but I don't feel superior just because of that demonstration.
He is fiercely independent and refused to be corrupted by the human culture of if-you-scratch-my-back-I-will-scratch-yours. But as we all know, it is easier said than done. If someone acts kindly towards you or do you a favor, wouldn't you reciprocate and sometimes done at the expense of our own being.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 11 Jul 2015 11:13 am

He is just a well spoken teenager with all problems and more associated with his age. I don't see anything brilliant in him. In any Western country he would be just a part of Internet noise and nobody would give a *beep* about him. Sorry.

But if "people of Hong Kong" think they did it (whatever it was) for him they are equally immature as Amos.

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Sat, 11 Jul 2015 11:37 am

Lol

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 11 Jul 2015 1:16 pm

I am sorry. I noticed you talk about him almost like about some reverent person but just ask yourself this question: how many people would know about him if not the actions of the gov? Would you know him at all?

Besides, I see nothing brilliant in trying to insult a person who just passed away and like it or not was important and respected by many if not majority of his countrymen. There is nothing brilliant in inserting the f* word every other word neither.

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Sat, 11 Jul 2015 10:13 pm

Hear, hear. Actually, I have mentioned in my post that his communication style distracts from his message.

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Sat, 11 Jul 2015 10:17 pm

Well, well, well, comparing this to the West in this manner, isn’t it a bit of a generalization? In HK, the people (not the entire population tho) are fighting to dominate their own governing officials. In SG, one can get sued and incarcerated for speaking against party line. Most govt in the West are not as blatant in their suppression of the freedom of expression.

I am touched by the movement in HK. If they behave and obey orders, they will be assured of a nice slice of the economic pie by Beijng. However, if they resist, the opposite can happen. Despite their frustrations, the protests have been peaceful. The protesters are young and idealistic. Hmnnn………….. ideals, only time will tell how steadfast we can hold onto our own and remain uncorrupted. The ravage of time, responsibilities of paying the bills, the ins and outs of daily lives, the need to safeguard our rice bowls. It has a way of eating away our resolves and turn us into realists or even cynics and the non-carings.

I am reminded of a conversation with a friend. I was telling her about some issues that I was pondering over. “Oh EF, you have an easy life and you have got too much time on your hand and that is why you have the time to think of such issues of life.” Perhaps there is some truth to her point. Like me, she is a stay home wife. She is one who watches soap operas, read celebrity gossip magazines and expend energy on finding money-making opportunities. I do not do most of what she does (but we click quite well :) ). Well, well, well, is it necessary for me to judge her? Is it necessary for me to compare who is spending her time in a more “meaningful” way? I find such comparison and ranking exercise unnecessary. It is just like I spend a lot of time on this forum. Because I enjoy it. No other justification is needed. And nobody is harmed in the process.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 13 Jul 2015 8:03 am

EF, a drunk guy cursing at a policeman is not necessary a brave freedom fighter.

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Mon, 10 Aug 2015 10:31 am

"The Marina Barrage was a 20-year dream of Mr Lee Kuan Yew to turn the Marina Channel into water catchment area and a symbol of lifelong obsession with Singapore's water security.
Mr. Lee had lived to see it."

"But the last few years of Papa's life without Mama were a sad and difficult time for him. He raised the topic of euthanasia with his doctors, and they told him that was illegal in Singapore. I also told him it was illegal for me to help him to do so elsewhere." :cry:

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/m ... tor=CS1-10

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Tue, 11 Aug 2015 12:20 pm

earthfriendly wrote:https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php? ... 8914699053
Lee Yue Heng But Amos, the people of Hong Kong (or at least some of them) demonstrated for you to be freed! Don't you owe them a little something?
Like · Reply · 13 · 15 hrs
Hide 17 Replies

Katherine Ko He doesn't owe anyone anything.

P.S. I'm from Hong Kong
Like · 69 · 15 hrs

Leopard Iron yup,he doesn't owe anyone
Like · 5 · 15 hrs

Queenie Mok I am a Hongkonger also. Amos doesn't owe anyone.
Like · 14 · 15 hrs · Edited

Ruby Ha As a Hongkonger, I support Amos, but I don't feel superior just because of that demonstration.
He is fiercely independent and refused to be corrupted by the human culture of if-you-scratch-my-back-I-will-scratch-yours. But as we all know, it is easier said than done. If someone acts kindly towards you or do you a favor, wouldn't you reciprocate and sometimes done at the expense of our own being.

It's not like Amos ASKED for HK people to go demonstrate, or anybody else to stick up for him for that matter.......except his lawyer. :lol: If somebody does anything of their own back then that's up to them, don't see why I should be indebted to them for something I didn't have a choice over.

That's one thing, but with regards his message I agree with you that the very way he says things causes alienation. With his last tirade surely the only thing he had to ask about the extraordinary expenses, let's say with regards the fireworks alone was...... "Well, how many other countries on the planet 'rehearse' fireworks EVERY week for a month?"

My 8yr old mentioned they were not so big and that HK/London etc. had larger and longer shows. I told him HK and London etc. put their money into one big show, let's say at New Year but SG feels compelled to practise so whilst the money spent is the same, or much more.......it gets spread out over a month instead of just one night ](*,)
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE