Singapore Expats

LTVP holder's LOC in process while offered another job?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
Sporkin
Chatter
Chatter

LTVP holder's LOC in process while offered another job?

Post by Sporkin » Wed, 18 Mar 2015 10:46 am

HI all, I have been reading up on some of the issues faced when switching jobs while on EP/SP and from what I understand any pass holder need to serve at least 1 month notice for IRA's tax filing purposes. In addition you run the risk of being branded a job hopper which MOM may not take kindly too and may reject further issuance of passes to said person.

My wife who is out of the work-force for a while is now facing a somewhat similar situation; she was formerly on SPass and she is now on LTVP and I'm an SC-- she was offered a position verbally with company A who said that they are applying for the LOC for her, no contract was signed as yet. Subsequently she received another verbal offer from company B for a position which is more aligned with our future plan of spawning younglings and she is concerned if company B will have problems applying for the LOC for her.

So my questions are:
a) Can companies apply for LOC/passes before the contract is signed?

b) If the LTVP application is in-progress, her way forward would be to tell company A to cancel the application so that company B can apply?

c) How stringent are LTVP+ LOC's vetting? Will this job switching be a problem, though there is no contract signed as yet.

Your help and advice is much appreciated.

Thanks.
Last edited by Sporkin on Wed, 18 Mar 2015 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: LTPV holder's LOC in process while offered another job?

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 18 Mar 2015 12:53 pm

Sporkin wrote:HI all, I have been reading up on some of the issues faced when switching jobs while on EP/SP and from what I understand any pass holder need to serve at least 1 month notice for IRA's tax filing purposes. In addition you run the risk of being branded a job hopper which MOM may not take kindly too and may reject further issuance of passes to said person.

My wife who is out of the work-force for a while is now facing a somewhat similar situation; she was formerly on SPass and she is now on LTVP and I'm an SC-- she was offered a position verbally with company A who said that they are applying for the LOC for her, no contract was signed as yet. Subsequently she received another verbal offer from company B for a position which is more aligned with our future plan of spawning younglings and she is concerned if company B will have problems applying for the LOC for her.

So my questions are:
a) Can companies apply for LOC/passes before the contract is signed?

Sure. As long as the salary has been agreed on. Not a big deal as you don't need to submit the Employment Contract anyway.

b) If the LTVP application is in-progress, her way forward would be to tell company A to cancel the application so that company B can apply?

Correct.

c) How stringent are LTVP+ LOC's vetting? Will this job switching be a problem, though there is no contract signed as yet.

Shouldn't be a problem as long as she has some qualification and not just an O level holder. I'm currently waiting on one of my S pass staff who has her appointment for her LTVP in order to convert to an LOC thus freeing up S pass quota and her possibly keeping her job as we are currently over quota.

Your help and advice is much appreciated.

Thanks.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Sporkin
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Sporkin » Wed, 18 Mar 2015 2:19 pm

Ah great! Thanks SMS for the information.

Sporkin
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Sporkin » Wed, 18 Mar 2015 8:14 pm

An additional question SMS if I may, do LOCs have IPAs?

It just so happens that her current LOC has been approved for Company A, so in this case can Company B apply for her LOC and get a IPA before she asks Company A to rescind the LOC, in case the LOC doesn't go through for some reason? Maybe I'm just paranoid.

Many thanks for your insights.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: LTVP holder's LOC in process while offered another job?

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 18 Mar 2015 10:56 pm

Sadly, I can't answer that as I've yet to have someone jump from one LOC to another. I've had them go from LoC to S & EP, but don't have a clue as the last LoC I had was a number of years ago. I've got one in the wings going the other direction from S to LoC so this is a first as well. It might be worth a call to MOM and ask them. If you do, let us know the outcome for our future readers.

sm
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Sporkin
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Sporkin » Fri, 20 Mar 2015 10:12 am

My wife called MOM, but in no more details than we already know, their response is:

"You current application must be cancelled by the company that applied before the new application can proceed."

Hinting that there may be no IPA involved since you can't start another application before the current one is cancelled.

Sorry no new useful information to add for the LOC process.
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Sadly, I can't answer that as I've yet to have someone jump from one LOC to another. I've had them go from LoC to S & EP, but don't have a clue as the last LoC I had was a number of years ago. I've got one in the wings going the other direction from S to LoC so this is a first as well. It might be worth a call to MOM and ask them. If you do, let us know the outcome for our future readers.

sm

aaliyah18

Post by aaliyah18 » Sat, 21 Jul 2018 9:56 pm

I just want to ask about my LOC application.. its been 3weeks already.. cause i resign in my last job.. and apply for the new work.. its been rejected because of the issue of NEA.. national environment association.. but they already apply it .. and now my LOC still pending for 3weeks..
I just want to know how long more it takes for approval..

Thank you in advance
Ailee