Singapore Expats Forum

Fire extinguisher for home

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.

Sponsored by:
Image
AE Logistics - Singapore Movers

User avatar
Brah
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1956
Joined: Sat, 18 Dec 2010

Fire extinguisher for home

Postby Brah » Tue, 17 Mar 2015 8:04 am

This would be a question I wouldn't have to ask on a forum if I were back home as these are easy to find, but with everything 2,3,4 times to cost here, thought to see what others may have done for this.

I would like to get something for the kitchen in case I'm not there if something happens from cooking, and even if I am there in that event.
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape.

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5405
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013
Location: Sinkapore

Re: Fire extinguisher for home

Postby PNGMK » Tue, 17 Mar 2015 9:42 am

I got one from AA for free when I renewed with them. They also gave me a fire blanket.

For my car I bought a $40 one from AutoBacs. Honestly having been through two workshop fires and one motorcycle fire I think it's worth any cost to have a fire extinguisher.
IANAL. IANACPA. IANA Teacher.
Arrested? Lawyer Up
International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
School advice? Avoid for profit schools
Tax advice? CPA
Pay me $5k for 100% success filling in PR form!

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9810
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: Fire extinguisher for home

Postby ecureilx » Tue, 17 Mar 2015 10:16 am

Brah wrote:This would be a question I wouldn't have to ask on a forum if I were back home as these are easy to find, but with everything 2,3,4 times to cost here, thought to see what others may have done for this.

I would like to get something for the kitchen in case I'm not there if something happens from cooking, and even if I am there in that event.

Black tactical has smaller extinguishers .. with 30 second spray

Take a look at their site .. looks good

As well as their fire grenade .. no kidding .. instant stop

User avatar
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2815
Joined: Sat, 24 Nov 2012
Location: Singapore

Re: Fire extinguisher for home

Postby rajagainstthemachine » Tue, 17 Mar 2015 10:27 am

PNGMK wrote:I got one from AA for free when I renewed with them. They also gave me a fire blanket.

For my car I bought a $40 one from AutoBacs. Honestly having been through two workshop fires and one motorcycle fire I think it's worth any cost to have a fire extinguisher.


Alcoholics Anonymous? :P
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34785
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Re: Fire extinguisher for home

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 17 Mar 2015 11:14 am

Brah,

I did exactly that a couple years ago, because of my aging MiL penchant for leaving pots on the fire and forgetting them. Mine hangs just inside the archway to the kitchen so that it can be grabbed from the living room. It's a 3lb Combat ABC fire extinguisher. Not home at the moment so don't remember what I paid for it, but, while it's not been needed, it's still good insurance. mine hangs on a hook that is provided so it's at shoulder level as an easy grab.

http://www.combat.com.sg/PDF_industrial_commercial/portable_fire_ext/dry_powder/3KG%20ABC%20SP%20FX%20catalogue%20final.pdf

http://www.combat.com.sg/PDF_industrial_commercial/portable_fire_ext/dry_powder/SEFP%20-%20ABC,%203Kg.pdf

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Re: Fire extinguisher for home

Postby JR8 » Tue, 17 Mar 2015 2:18 pm

Either a dry-powder home extinguisher (as SMS ^ suggests), or a fire blanket.

IMO with the former you need a bit of knowledge of how it works, how to deploy it correctly etc. The latter is simpler, just make sure you deploy it from the front area of the issue, towards the back, so no danger is 'funnelled' towards you.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5405
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013
Location: Sinkapore

Re: Fire extinguisher for home

Postby PNGMK » Wed, 01 Apr 2015 6:44 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:
PNGMK wrote:I got one from AA for free when I renewed with them. They also gave me a fire blanket.

For my car I bought a $40 one from AutoBacs. Honestly having been through two workshop fires and one motorcycle fire I think it's worth any cost to have a fire extinguisher.


Alcoholics Anonymous? :P


Automobile Anon.
IANAL. IANACPA. IANA Teacher.
Arrested? Lawyer Up
International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
School advice? Avoid for profit schools
Tax advice? CPA
Pay me $5k for 100% success filling in PR form!


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Staying, Living in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests