Singapore Expats

Which agency to contact for unsafe building?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Post Reply
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue, 17 Mar 2015 12:22 am

Which agency to contact for unsafe building?

Post by Kittysue » Tue, 17 Mar 2015 12:28 am

Could someone please let me know who I can contact, a building inspector or whoever, if I am in an unsafe residence and the landlord refuses to do anything
I've tried CASE but they said they can't do anything. I need someone to come inspect the property and verify that it is unsafe and uninhabitable and the landlord must make repairs and find us alternate housing during the repairs or allow us to break the lease and get our deposit back
We are renting an apartment where tiles have now fallen off the ceiling, windows have fallen off, there is major termite damage with holes around the door frame and floor boards, there is black mold all around the bathroom and it's behind the walls, which have started to cave in, so nothing will clean it. We've taken pictures, we've shown the landlord, but nothing happens. He keeps saying he will send someone to fix it, then sends in a person to replace one ceiling tile and nothing else
Right now we have no money to move to a new place unless we can get our deposit back, and do not have the money to hire a lawyer
Is there any government building inspector we can get to come out who will rule the residence is uninhabitable? I have no idea who to contact and every time I call some government office I get passed on to a different agency and nobody can seem to give me a straight answer.
This is important as there are children living in the property and one was almost injured by one of the falling tiles, and the other is in danger of climbing out the window which will not close and keeps falling off, and there are no bars on it.

User avatar
Posts: 9009
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 9:06 pm
Answers: 2
Location: Sinkapore

Re: Which agency to contact for unsafe building?

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 17 Mar 2015 9:39 am

You could try the BCA.

The NEA will be interested if there are issues that lead to stagnant water, pollution etc on the outside of the building.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

User avatar
Posts: 9817
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 5:18 pm

Re: Which agency to contact for unsafe building?

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 17 Mar 2015 10:20 am

Kittysue wrote:...
You didn't inspect before moving in?

Some of your complaints would have been so visible ....

Is it unsafe or untenable ?

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Last post

Return to “Staying, Living in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest