Singapore Expats

Key months to get a job?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
tom_box

Key months to get a job?

Post by tom_box » Sun, 08 Mar 2015 11:56 am

In Europe most hiring stops in July and August (most people take summer holidays) and in December (Christmas). What is it like in Singapore? Is hiring going on the whole year around or are there also some months when most hiring stops?

P.S. With regards to the key months to get a new job, in Europe it is the few months before and after the summer break. Is it anything alike in Singapore?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Key months to get a job?

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 08 Mar 2015 1:31 pm

You are here at the absolute best time for hiring as the Lunar New Year festivities are over and people have gotten they year end bonuses normally for the CYN holiday and now they will be leaving for better prospects (have to wait until they get their bonuses before screwing the employer who invested in them). So normally hiring will ramp up right after the holidays.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

tom_box

Post by tom_box » Sun, 08 Mar 2015 2:10 pm

Thanks for the response. It is great to hear that now is the best time. With the clock ticking, however, I was also wondering if the hiring will also virtually stop in July and August (like in Europe) or if it will pretty much go on until the next CNY?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 08 Mar 2015 2:26 pm

Yeah, it will slow down around May ~June but not die. It will remain steady for the remainder of the year as the later you go, the more it pays to stay, again, primarily for the year end 13th month bonus. Which in lots of companies can translate into not one month but sometimes 2 or 3 months bonus depending on the sector and how well the company's do for the year. As you have a PEP, you shouldn't have any real problems finding something suitable though as you won't be hindered by the companies having to depend on getting a work visa for you. So, for all intents and purposes you are a catch as they don't have to pay the gahment levies, nor do they have to pay employer's CPF contributions for you. They just have to pay you a lot of money every month! ;-)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers