Singapore Expats

'World's most $$$ cities revealed: SG tops the charts again'

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Re: 'World's most $$$ cities revealed: SG tops the charts ag

Post by JR8 » Mon, 09 Mar 2015 11:33 pm

Was up there recently (Tokyo) for some RnR.

It's never been cheap, but it wasn't 'silly' vs SG, or places like Oslo.

Conclusion: Plan a bit, and great place for a long weekend, food is A1, and the lady still finding bargains etc.... plus most 'attractions' of note are free.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 10 Mar 2015 2:31 pm

JR8 wrote:Was up there recently (Tokyo) for some RnR.

Conclusion: Plan a bit, and great place for a long weekend, food is A1, and the lady still finding bargains etc.... plus most 'attractions' of note are free.
I agree. Everytime I go to Tokyo I'm surprised at how much less it costs than I always expect.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Tue, 10 Mar 2015 4:09 pm

zzm9980 wrote:

I agree. Everytime I go to Tokyo I'm surprised at how much less it costs than I always expect.
next time you go there, eat one of them egg sandwiches from a 7-11 and you'll be surprised how delicious and awesome it tastes.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 10 Mar 2015 7:12 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:

next time you go there, eat one of them egg sandwiches from a 7-11 and you'll be surprised how delicious and awesome it tastes.
Karaage and filled onigiri in most kombini also make decent post-overtime meals. :mrgreen:
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Tue, 10 Mar 2015 9:31 pm

nakatago wrote:
Karaage and filled onigiri in most kombini also make decent post-overtime meals. :mrgreen:
Shoyu ramen for me does it! But what I really was after was how one could get really convenient,healthy and nutritious food in a 7-11 in Japan, a surprising and pleasant difference compared to so many other places.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 11 Mar 2015 10:40 am

zzm9980 wrote:

No thank you. If i need to 'slum it' for food in Tokyo, I go to Kebab Box J in Roppongi or Harajuku :P

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 11 Mar 2015 11:21 am

zzm9980 wrote:No thank you. If i need to 'slum it' for food in Tokyo, I go to Kebab Box J in Roppongi or Harajuku :P
Hehe...

We got basics from '7-11' on our way home in the evening that we then had for breakfast. A couple of buns, bananas, and some of those 1-cup pre-filled real coffee filters etc. That avoided the $$$ hotel offering.

Lunch. We'd usually be near a department store. And in their basement floors there are usually food departments that sell food for immediate consumption. I expect most customers buy it at mealtimes as take-out. But we just had ours sitting over on the row of chairs that are probably intended for 'aged' customers needing a sit-down and rest :) Fresh very high quality food, in dozens of varieties, and inexpensive too.

Therefore come evening, we could plan on eating somewhere more/+ special and not be so concerned with the price.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Wed, 11 Mar 2015 12:09 pm

In the Akasaka district at lunchtime you didn't even have to go into the restaurant if you wanted take away, there'd be a guy standing out side the restaurant with various boxes of packed food and you'd just choose what you wanted pay and leave, most times I'd do just that or head over to the 7-11 grab whatever I could possibly eat in say < 20 mins and take them back and eat them at my desk.

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Wed, 11 Mar 2015 12:23 pm

Am off to Fukuoka in a couple of weeks and seeing all this food mentioned is driving me nuts. I lost almost 20kgs over the past half year so combined with the lower cost I can see me gaining a bit of that back again :mad: :roll:
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 11 Mar 2015 12:23 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:In the Akasaka district at lunchtime you didn't even have to go into the restaurant if you wanted take away, there'd be a guy standing out side the restaurant with various boxes of packed food and you'd just choose what you wanted pay and leave, most times I'd do just that or head over to the 7-11 grab whatever I could possibly eat in say < 20 mins and take them back and eat them at my desk.
Yeah, bento box vendors would also be common in office areas. I didn't get to try them though as the cafeteria is our office back than had pretty good food already anyway.

...and the girl manning the in-office convenience store was pretty cute.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."