Singapore Expats

'World's most $$$ cities revealed: SG tops the charts again'

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
JR8
Immortal
Immortal

'World's most $$$ cities revealed: SG tops the charts again'

Post by JR8 » Wed, 04 Mar 2015 9:00 pm

'World's most expensive cities revealed: Singapore tops the charts again - and London doesn't even make top ten
-----------------------

'Singapore tops the list of the most expensive city in the world once again, a new survey comparing the cost of living in 133 cities reveals.

Nudging just behind Singapore is Paris, followed by Oslo, Zurich and Sydney. London is the world's eleventh most expensive city, The Economists' Intelligence Unit report says. London is now as expensive as Tokyo, which was replaced by Singapore as the most expensive city last year.
Half way through 2014 Singapore actually lay in fourth position and the resurgence of the top five most expensive cities comes with a stronger US dollar and weaker euro pushing euro zone cities back down later last year, the EIU says.

For basic groceries, including bread, Singapore is only 11 per cent more expensive than New York. But it is the joint most expensive city in the world to buy clothes, with stores regularly offering a price premium that is over 50 per cent higher than in New York.
Car prices in Singapore are also notoriously over the odds and transport costs are nearly three times higher than in New York.

Seoul in South Korea has climbed six places to reach the top 10 of the world's most expensive cities. Now on a par with the cost of living in Hong Kong, only five years ago Seoul was ranked 50th in the EIU's world rankings.'

------------
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/news/a ... again.html
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: 'World's most $$$ cities revealed: SG tops the charts ag

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 04 Mar 2015 10:10 pm

Then again this chart is a bit of a consolation .. :) Image

if you see what you want to see :D

The Ref
Chatter
Chatter

Post by The Ref » Thu, 05 Mar 2015 12:57 am

Not sure about ecureilx's response, but average price of around $25USD for wine in Australia is way off. A good (reasonable) bottle of wine for $10 in Aus is a far better quality than what you can buy here for $20. In fact I drink a much lower quality of wine here than I would touch in Aus and pay twice as much for doing so. (E.g Hardys I wouldn't touch in Aus at $6 (sgd) but will buy here if I see it on special for < $20)

Comparisons of things are often too variable - fungible items like petrol and cigarettes are able to be compared, but the bread in Aus is very different to the bread you buy for $1.50 in fairprice. Eating Chicken rice is far cheaper than Aus, but meat is more expensive. And lets not talk about cars, school fees or condos.

Finally remember that most of these surveys are against USD in US so when the AUD dropped so did the comparative cost. The SGD has been stronger and held its value better causing increase in comparative cost.

YMMV.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 05 Mar 2015 2:37 am

The Ref wrote:Not sure about ecureilx's response,
That image too is from DM

To show that not everything is sky high in the Little Red Dot !

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Thu, 05 Mar 2015 9:22 am

The Ref wrote:Not sure about ecureilx's response, but average price of around $25USD for wine in Australia is way off. A good (reasonable) bottle of wine for $10 in Aus is a far better quality than what you can buy here for $20. In fact I drink a much lower quality of wine here than I would touch in Aus and pay twice as much for doing so. (E.g Hardys I wouldn't touch in Aus at $6 (sgd) but will buy here if I see it on special for < $20)

Comparisons of things are often too variable - fungible items like petrol and cigarettes are able to be compared, but the bread in Aus is very different to the bread you buy for $1.50 in fairprice. Eating Chicken rice is far cheaper than Aus, but meat is more expensive. And lets not talk about cars, school fees or condos.

Finally remember that most of these surveys are against USD in US so when the AUD dropped so did the comparative cost. The SGD has been stronger and held its value better causing increase in comparative cost.

YMMV.
agreed and whenever i go to Aus, I buy all the wine I possibly can cause they are so much better and cheaper than stuff you get here.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 05 Mar 2015 9:41 am

The Ref wrote:Not sure about ecureilx's response, but average price of around $25USD for wine in Australia is way off. A good (reasonable) bottle of wine for $10 in Aus is a far better quality than what you can buy here for $20. In fact I drink a much lower quality of wine here than I would touch in Aus and pay twice as much for doing so. (E.g Hardys I wouldn't touch in Aus at $6 (sgd) but will buy here if I see it on special for < $20)

YMMV.
There is this 10 buck cab sauv I bought though and it was just horrible. It was a random pick so I guess I walked right into that one.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Thu, 05 Mar 2015 2:42 pm

I had a very nice bottle of Euro2.99 red in Barcelona a couple of months back.......well nice for my beer swilling pallet, but these kind of survey's always come with flaws.

Iraq, Somalia, Angola etc. all missing but I'm pretty sure as an expat living anywhere near there, it will be more expensive than here.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 05 Mar 2015 6:35 pm

My daughter works in the most commonly referred to "most expensive" city for expats. That's Luanda, Angola.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 05 Mar 2015 7:37 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:My daughter works in the most commonly referred to "most expensive" city for expats. That's Luanda, Angola.
Image Image

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Fri, 06 Mar 2015 10:30 am

Expense doesn't equate to quality of life according to yet another survey

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102470877

Singapore is the top scoring Asian city at 26.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Fri, 06 Mar 2015 11:14 am

ecureilx wrote:Then again this chart is a bit of a consolation .. :) Image

if you see what you want to see :D
Where are they buying the bread from in Paris?

There are zillions of boulangeries , if it was 8USD a go the folks would be on the streets!!!
Life is short, paddle harder!!

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Fri, 06 Mar 2015 2:13 pm

Barnsley wrote: Where are they buying the bread from in Paris?
There are zillions of boulangeries , if it was 8USD a go the folks would be on the streets!!!
From Mary Antoinette's bakery
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

curiousgeorge
Reporter
Reporter

Post by curiousgeorge » Sun, 08 Mar 2015 3:27 pm

Of course if you take car ownership out of the report, Singapore drops to 48th place :-"

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Mon, 09 Mar 2015 7:20 pm

Is there a reason London, NY, Munich and Tokyo are not listed?
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 09 Mar 2015 10:56 pm

Brah wrote:Is there a reason London, NY, Munich and Tokyo are not listed?
They're in the article, just not in the chart linked above as they didn't make the top 10. Tokyo is 11th, no idea on Munich. NYC is always used as the control city, they're all rated in COL relative to NYC.

Regarding Tokyo:
Weak inflation, or deflation, and a devaluation of the Japanese yen have pushed the cities of Tokyo and Osaka further down the rankings. Over the last 20 years, both have been known as pricey cities to live, but they now lie in 11th and 16th place respectively.