Singapore Expats

Has anyone tried fishing before?

Discuss about food, eating places, shopping centres, clubs, pubs, massage, sports, travel & holidays. Share tips on best place to chill, party, relax or travel destinations.
Lancer4332

Has anyone tried fishing before?

Post by Lancer4332 » Wed, 04 Mar 2015 11:17 am

When I say fishing, it means catching fish. Not fishing for babes, though that is already my interest :cool:

Anyway seriously, what do you all think of fishing? I'm considering trying it out.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Has anyone tried fishing before?

Post by JR8 » Wed, 04 Mar 2015 1:33 pm

You'll see lines of uncles on the pier out on the east coast pulling max 5cm fish up, and keeping them in buckets of water until it comes time to leave, to go home and cook them. That might be why the are no 5cm+ fish!

You can do day charters here, out on a boat. It was discussed maybe a year ago, so worth a forum-search to see what you dig up.

Fishing is often really great fun. It requires learning new skills, tactics and choosing different gear, versus where you are fishing and for what species. So the overall sport covers many many different flavours.

I prefer sea-fishing over fresh-water. Especially the chance of a day out on a boat. My father grew up sea-fishing, at least weekly, but in later years he prefers the honed skills and patience required for freshwater fish, such the very very clever and elusive trout!

I'd say:
- Don't bother doing anything local/onshore-based the first time out.
- Either take a specific charter, or even better wait until you're on holiday and do so. Bali used to be a big-fish destination, I'm sure there are plenty of others within the region.
- If you're just starting out, choose an approach that should bring good results (i.e. several nice fish!). The alt. could be several days baking on an East Coast pier catching nothing; and the shame there, is you might decide to never go fishing again.

'Tight lines!' :)
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

Lancer4332

Post by Lancer4332 » Wed, 04 Mar 2015 3:42 pm

Recently I saw a post on a fishing school teaching people to fish. That's how I started thinking about it.

Anyway if I join a charter boat, do they provide fishing equipment? If I need to buy, I worry that it will just become another item in my store room.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 04 Mar 2015 8:42 pm

Lancer4332 wrote:Recently I saw a post on a fishing school teaching people to fish. That's how I started thinking about it.

Anyway if I join a charter boat, do they provide fishing equipment? If I need to buy, I worry that it will just become another item in my store room.
They can do. They don't expect everyone to own their own gear. Even more so their own specific gear for boat-fishing, for the type of fish being targeted...

See if there are any local fishing clubs that can do half/whole day charters, and consider getting some friends together and splitting the cost...

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Thu, 05 Mar 2015 11:02 am

You might want to put the plan off for the time-being. Mass death of fish in north east due to alga bloom.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/sin ... 89292.html

Lancer4332

Post by Lancer4332 » Thu, 05 Mar 2015 11:23 am

So many fish had died. I wonder how long will it take for the fish population to replenish in that area. Maybe I can try the southern part of Singapore, it does not seem to be affected over there.

By the way, I just ordered a cheap fishing setup online. The algae boom should be over by the time my package arrives.

Lancer4332

Post by Lancer4332 » Tue, 24 Mar 2015 1:19 pm

My fishing setup is still sitting in one corner... anyway I come across this fishing school called My Fishing Frenzy Academy. Has anyone attended the course there before? My setup costs less than the beginner course though :shock: :o

http://www.mffa.com.sg/

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 24 Mar 2015 8:36 pm

I never bother with a company that can't even bother providing a reasonably persuasive 'About Us' page... the linked site seems to have none at all.