Singapore Expats

EP Holder Pregnant with Married Singaporean

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: EP Holder Pregnant with Married Singaporean

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 04 Mar 2015 6:38 pm

zzm9980 wrote:.

But if that WAS true and Wikipedia false, can you imagine how many Geylang Chickens would be poking holes in condoms? :)
More so, the upmarket KTV girls who get jumped by well healed towkays in rollers and beemers and mercs. Image Image

I meant patronized by Image Image

iiko

Post by iiko » Thu, 05 Mar 2015 5:25 am

bgd wrote:
iiko wrote:
1) Can I legally give birth in Singapore under my present valid EP?
Your EP is tied to your job. Will you be able to keep your job with this pregnancy, or afterwards with a child to look after? If the answer is no then you need to consider on what basis you can continue to reside here.
>> Yes, I believe I am able to keep my job.

iiko

Post by iiko » Thu, 05 Mar 2015 5:40 am

So sorry for my late reply, I just read all the comments from everyone. I will do more research. Btw, Can anyone point me to the relevant Singapore Government agency to seeking counseling? Should I speak to MOM because I am under EP?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 05 Mar 2015 6:22 am

iiko wrote:So sorry for my late reply, I just read all the comments from everyone. I will do more research. Btw, Can anyone point me to the relevant Singapore Government agency to seeking counseling? Should I speak to MOM because I am under EP?
Ministry of Social and Family Development I believe is the right place, but as an EP holder, I am not sure if they will extend the privileges given to Citizens !

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 05 Mar 2015 6:54 am

My suggestion is find a Singaporean husband immediately. He doesn't have to be rich or famous but he must not have any baggage like a current wife. As you are on an EP, you don't require permission from the MOM to marry so that is no problem (only WP holder must get permission). Otherwise you and your child are going to get really tied up in red tape to the point of total frustration and a lot of emotional pain (more than you are currently enduring if that's possible).
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 05 Mar 2015 7:25 am

zzm9980 wrote:Everything on ICA is very ambiguous if the child is born in Singapore with a SC father and it is out of wedlock. Other cases on ICA's site make a distinction if the child is born overseas and whether they received citizenship by birth in that country or not. Even the application itself calls the spouse details "if applicable". Like all things Singapore, I suspect if the father has a good enough profile (sufficient income and true blue or 'if he registered today, he would be approved') the child's citizenship request will be approved.

Note how spousal details says "if applicable":
http://www.ica.gov.sg/data/resources/do ... rmSCRM.pdf
For the overseas born, this part it is covered more-less verbatim from the Constitution. For being vague on the other hand, the gov leaves in the Constitution some "back doors". One of them is visible in the last paragraph of what I quoted earlier:

Notwithstanding clause (2)(c), the Government may, where it considers it just and fair and having regard to all the circumstances prevailing at the time of the application, confer citizenship upon a person born in Singapore.

I expect there has to be something like this somewhere in this very Constitution. The trick with the Constitution is it should not IMHO contain an universal article like this empowering the authorities to change anything and I don't see a specific (non-universal) one under the citizenship chapter (and I am too lazy to read the rest).

Edited to add: actually, a general article referring to traditional and family values could address it (as well as the anti-gay law and probably some more).

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 05 Mar 2015 8:18 am

Found it. Is in the Third Schedule:
Illegitimate children and adopted children
15.—(1) For the purposes of Part X, references to a person’s father or to his parent or to one of his parents shall, in relation to a person who is illegitimate, be construed as references to his mother.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 05 Mar 2015 8:26 am

in general terms, I was told that Singapore used to freely hand out Citizenship, and I am talking of pre-80s ?

Even those who's wives were visiting, when they delivered, they were more or less told their son is an SC

Things have changed, and have been extremely tightened !

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 05 Mar 2015 8:42 am

The quoted article from the Third Schedule seems to be introduced in 2004.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 05 Mar 2015 4:25 pm

x9200 wrote:Found it. Is in the Third Schedule:
Illegitimate children and adopted children
15.—(1) For the purposes of Part X, references to a person’s father or to his parent or to one of his parents shall, in relation to a person who is illegitimate, be construed as references to his mother.
So if this applies, then it's correct that OP is SOL. Since she is the mother and not an S/C.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 05 Mar 2015 5:41 pm

Yep.
But if she is on EP, will managed to keep her job and the father of the child will play fair with her then no all her hopes should be gone.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 05 Mar 2015 6:39 pm

So, finally, we are back to my initial reply. ;-)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 05 Mar 2015 6:54 pm

Nooo, not like this. It was clear that this was (most likely) true, but it was not clear why it seemed to disagree with the Constitution. Now we know it, will remember it and can bravely attack any ecureilx saying something different with no help from local newspapers!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 05 Mar 2015 8:04 pm

x9200 wrote:Nooo, not like this. It was clear that this was (most likely) true, but it was not clear why it seemed to disagree with the Constitution. Now we know it, will remember it and can bravely attack any ecureilx saying something different with no help from local newspapers!
I think you are trying to compliment me there ... Image Image

But at least now it is clear thanks to the conflicting information cleared Image Image

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 05 Mar 2015 9:06 pm

I wasn't conflicted at all..... :???: :cool: