Singapore Expats

The thing we now can't talk about

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
Brah
Manager
Manager

Re: The thing we now can't talk about

Post by Brah » Sat, 21 Feb 2015 10:11 am

Last paragraph
http://www.straitstimes.com/news/singap ... re-under-i

Interestingly this thread http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/viewto ... 9&start=30, in a subforum I rarely visit but did as it was a slow post day, I had a headache, and was bored, led me to this thread http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/viewtopic.php?t=98820
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 21 Feb 2015 10:38 am

Brah wrote:Last paragraph
http://www.straitstimes.com/news/singap ... re-under-i

Interestingly this thread http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/viewto ... 9&start=30, in a subforum I rarely visit but did as it was a slow post day, I had a headache, and was bored, led me to this thread http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/viewtopic.php?t=98820
I expect the impact (e.g. publicity), the intentions and socio-political context are taken into account. Specifically, what fuels further already present racial based animosity is probably the worst and what TRS published has it right there.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 21 Feb 2015 11:02 am

So the Sedition Act can be used against anyone accused of 'promoting feelings of ill will and hostility between different races or classes of the population'.

What about the matter of Anton Casey and it's reporting. AFAIR those articles triggered a spew of hater-comments from the locals vs 'FT'. I don't recall any state intervention in that regard :-k
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 21 Feb 2015 11:34 am

JR8 wrote:So the Sedition Act can be used against anyone accused of 'promoting feelings of ill will and hostility between different races or classes of the population'.

What about the matter of Anton Casey and it's reporting. AFAIR those articles triggered a spew of hater-comments from the locals vs 'FT'. I don't recall any state intervention in that regard :-k
Different context, different impact (no impact at all IMHO). Not to mention that he acted like an AH and got what he deserved.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 21 Feb 2015 11:48 am

So it's not a crime, but in fact ok if not justified if some people consider it deserved? In other words, the severity of a crime being subjective, and gauged versus the collective opinion of the masses.

[images in my head of gladiatorial bouts at the Colosseum, and Caesar distilling popular opinion from the crowds, to thus give his thumbs up or down)

Wow, it's confusing :???:

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 21 Feb 2015 12:24 pm

What matters (or at least should) in the law is the spirit and less the wording. Take these two discussed cases and compare them:
- what impact of the published reports/articles/etc. had on the social group (race, diaspora, etc) affected?
- what impact had it on the Singapore society

The reputation of white guys (if this comes to the prejudice) is close to that of Anton Casey: wealthy, arrogant. If you publish, for example, Angmohs go home! Lets kick them out! Will anything change? Will people turn against the Caucasians? Is the level of racial hatred going to increase?

Now compare it with the races/nations that are already under an open attack, Indians, PRCs, Filipinos.

And lastly yes, there has to be some sense of social justice and also in that respect these two cases do not match at all.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 22 Feb 2015 3:34 pm

x9200 wrote:The reputation of white guys (if this comes to the prejudice) is close to that of Anton Casey: wealthy, arrogant.
I'd question whether you can hope to be considered 'wealthy', whether 'you have what it takes', without appearing arrogant to some others.

I think it applies irrespective of race: Think of some of those 'closer to home'. The self-belief or 'balls' [or per the American term cojones, and American/Yiddish term 'chutzpah*] to do some sections of 'FT' work absolutely require it by the bucket-load. You can't switch it on and off at the front-door of the office, it's hard-wired in, the good and 'bad' elements of it, or it's not.

A business orientated city cannot support (via corporate permissions/staffing visas etc) a company that depends on hiring people who have chutzpah, and then demand said people somehow morph into neutered poodles in their life outside the office. This is of course beyond the simple requirement that everyone obeys the law.

Now if more locals had both the employment credentials and the required level of chutzpah, I expect there would be many less such FT here.
- 'Thinking out of the box'
- 'Going against the tide'
- having the self-belief to challenge authority and the status quo, when you feel it justified
... meanwhile... ... :-k

* - Chutzpah (/?h?tsp?/ or /?x?tsp?/[1][2]) is the quality of audacity, for good or for bad. The Yiddish word derives from the Hebrew word ?utspâ (????????), meaning "insolence", "cheek" or "audacity". The modern English usage of the word has taken on a broader meaning, having been popularized through vernacular use in film, literature, and television. The word is sometimes interpreted—particularly in business parlance—as meaning the amount of courage, mettle or ardor that an individual has....
Leo Rosten in The Joys of Yiddish defines chutzpah as "gall, brazen nerve, effrontery, incredible 'guts', presumption plus arrogance such as no other word and no other language can do justice to". In this sense, chutzpah expresses both strong disapproval and condemnation. In the same work, Rosten also defined the term as "that quality enshrined in a man who, having killed his mother and father, throws himself on the mercy of the court because he is an orphan". Chutzpah amounts to a total denial of personal responsibility, that renders others speechless and incredulous ... one cannot quite believe that another person totally lacks common human traits like remorse, regret, guilt, sympathy and insight. The implication is at least some degree of psychopathy in the subject, as well as the awestruck amazement of the observer at the display.'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chutzpah

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 23 Feb 2015 2:48 pm

curiousgeorge wrote:I thought we were talking about you-know-who's prostate
Or his father's two week bout of pneumonia.... which was only JUST reported.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 24 Feb 2015 8:33 am

JR8 wrote:
x9200 wrote:The reputation of white guys (if this comes to the prejudice) is close to that of Anton Casey: wealthy, arrogant.
I'd question whether you can hope to be considered 'wealthy', whether 'you have what it takes', without appearing arrogant to some others.

I think it applies irrespective of race: Think of some of those 'closer to home'. The self-belief or 'balls' [or per the American term cojones, and American/Yiddish term 'chutzpah*] to do some sections of 'FT' work absolutely require it by the bucket-load. You can't switch it on and off at the front-door of the office, it's hard-wired in, the good and 'bad' elements of it, or it's not.
The above (as of the wealth) is your opinion (and perhaps mine too) but I was talking about the perception among the locals. Also for being the race irrespective, it's about the complete landscape - is it common for Caucasians in Singapore to do low paid, unqualified jobs? How about Indians, Chinese, Malay etc etc? This also contributes to the perception.