Singapore Expats

Good cheese

Share your favourite eating haunts!
JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Good cheese

Post by JR8 » Wed, 18 Feb 2015 5:05 pm

Just a quickie. I enjoy small amounts of good cheese. I am especially fond of medium-hard 'oily' cheese (Jarlsberg, Emmental etc), plus some various others.

I've rather resigned myself over here to many of said cheeses not being non-authentic, and hence a real let-down. I.e. Australian Emmental and cheddar etc, Dutch feta, like those from NTUC. It's just not the same at all.

I can't really budget for going and getting big packs of the real stuff, since I only eat it quite sparingly, even back home. Plus here you have keep it in the fridge which often results in an opened larger pack ending up dried to a crisp like a nuns badger.

'So imagine my surprise!' to find small packs of absolutely very real Roquefort blue cheese here for under $10. It is a very protected style (similar to how 'champagne' is, but even more so), for a start a producer has to live in the right town (guess the name), AND own one of the few suitable caves hewn into the nearby limestone mountain, where the ageing takes place.

This one (note the product shown is in the US, and priced in US$) http://www.gourmetfoodideas.com/french- ... 5-oz..html

I got one of the above for about S$9.50 in Cold Storage. Not cheap but then it's pungent and heady stuff, and you only need smallish amounts to get your fix. In the event that piece stretched to making three good sandwiches.

Oh the flavour, the bliss, the joy - bang/zoom = taste-buds > outer space. It was transcendental! :lol: :cool:

I appreciate not everyone is big into cheese, and perhaps more so blue cheese. But if you happen to be, without wishing to spend a fortune, the above will definitely hit the real-deal spot!
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

The Ref
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Good cheese

Post by The Ref » Sun, 22 Feb 2015 9:36 pm

There is a good cheese shop in Joo Chiat. http://www.cheeseshop.sg/