Singapore Expats

Need advice on my upcoming PR application

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Rajdeep_Joshi

Need advice on my upcoming PR application

Post by Rajdeep_Joshi » Wed, 18 Feb 2015 10:41 am

Dear All,

Hope you all are doing well :)

I have joined the Singapore Expats Forum just today.

I have applied for Singapore PR with my family and our appointment with ICA is in April 2015.

I need your advice on whether we stand any chance of getting approved. Sorry for the long post that is to follow.

Below are our details :

1. Male, Indian national, 31 years of age. Wife (30 years of age) and son (2 years).
2. Applying for PR for the first time. I will apply along with my family. I have been in Singapore since August 2010.
3. I am a Network Designer in a renowned telecommunications company. In my capacity as a Network Designer, I have designed the enterprise networks for several key sites for a major FMCG conglomerate in SEA. One of my projects has been inaugurated by the Hon. Singapore Prime Minister, Mr Lee Hsien Loong (Not sure if I can add this in the "Achievements" section on the PR Form 4A :))
4. EP-P1 pass holder with monthly salary of SGD 9.6K per month.
5. Masters in Information Technology from a renowned University in India.
6. Wife is Bachelors in Engineering (BE) in Computer Science from a renowned University in India.
7. Wife is in Singapore since December 2011 - but we haven't been able to find a job for her, so she is on a DP.

8. We have a 2 year old son.
9. We have been donating a fixed sum to Singapore Cancer Society (since March 2011 and still ongoing) and Singapore Heart Foundation (since June 2014 and still ongoing). Not sure if this helps either ? Sorry, I did not intend to put this here, but just need your expert views if this helps and should I state this on my covering letter to ICA ?

I would also like to confess that I did remit my savings to India previously until last year, since I wanted to buy my parents a flat, since they were staying in a rented accommodation in India due to financial problems back then.

However, at the moment, I have pulled in all my savings into my Singapore bank account (which is pretty reasonable) and do not intend to remit it back. Would it be worth stating this in my covering letter and be fully open and honest with the ICA ?

Thanks and looking forward to useful insights from you.

Thanks,
Rajdeep Joshi.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Re: Need advice on my upcoming PR application

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 18 Feb 2015 11:14 am

Impossible to say. You pretty much tick every right box except being Indian. Even by using "Hon. PM" as his title :lol: =D>

But then, Indians in IT are not favored...

Rajdeep_Joshi

Post by Rajdeep_Joshi » Wed, 18 Feb 2015 1:37 pm

Thanks zzm9980 for your honest response..

I read through several posts on Expats Forum, other blogs and articles online and I fully agree with you that my being Indian and that too in IT is a road-block for sure.

The only way to clear this road block would be to get ICA to take notice of my application and think about making an exception.

As stated in my initial post, I intend to attach a covering letter along with my PR application.

In my covering letter, without sounding desperate and long winding, I intend to articulate on how I can contribute to Singapore with the knowledge and experience I have acquired in designing large scale communication networks.

I also intend to give a short yet effective summary of the variety of sites (corporate head offices, mega warehouses, factories, training centers) I have designed so far.

Based on your experience and assessment of so many posts from users in the past, would you be able to advise if a decent covering letter, with all genuine evidence (industry certifications, testimonials) of my worth will at least get ICA to take notice of my application ?

Or will it go straight to the dustbin the moment they see my race + profession combo on the PR form ?

Thanks and looking forward to your response :)

Happy CNY,
Rajdeep.
Last edited by Rajdeep_Joshi on Wed, 18 Feb 2015 1:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 18 Feb 2015 1:41 pm

Rajdeep_Joshi wrote:Thanks zzm9980 for your honest response..

I read through several posts on Expats Forum, other blogs and articles online and I fully agree with you that my being Indian and that too in IT is one road-block for sure.

The only way to clear this road block would be to get ICA to take notice of my application and think about making an exception.

As stated in my initial post, I intend to attach a covering letter along with my PR application.

In my covering letter, without sounding desperate and long winding, I intend to articulate on how I can contribute to Singapore with the knowledge and experience I have acquired in designing large scale communication networks.

I also intend to give a short yet effective summary of the variety of sites (corporate head offices, mega warehouses, factories, training centers) I have designed so far.

Based on your experience and assessment of so many posts from users in the past, would you be able to advise if a decent covering letter, with all genuine evidence (industry certifications, testimonials) of my worth will at least get ICA to take notice of my application ?

Or will it go straight to the dustbin the moment they see my race on the PR form ?

Thanks and looking forward to your response :)

Happy CNY,
Rajdeep.
It's like applying for a popular job; more often than not the person won't bother reading it because he has to slog through numerous applications.

And no offense but it would make you look like you're bragging and that won't help the prejudice against you you already have for being Indian.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Rajdeep_Joshi

Post by Rajdeep_Joshi » Wed, 18 Feb 2015 1:54 pm

Thanks nakatago for the tip,

I'll keep my covering letter very short, use bullets and keep the substance to-the-point then.

One more question though.

On the day of my appointment, would you know if the ICA officer will accept any genuine testimonial letters along with the mandatory documents ?

I have 2-3 such letters, signed by high ranking managers from my company as well as our client's organization.

Thanks,
Rajdeep.

Rajdeep_Joshi

Post by Rajdeep_Joshi » Wed, 18 Feb 2015 2:00 pm

Thanks nakatago,

Just also read the additional paragraph from your earlier comment :

"And no offense but it would make you look like you're bragging and that won't help the prejudice against you you already have for being Indian."

Agree with this as well :)

I'll ensure I write my cover letter with humility so it doesn't appear as if I'm bragging about my work.

Point very well taken..

Thanks again for your honest feedback..

Regards,
Rajdeep.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 18 Feb 2015 3:59 pm

Rajdeep_Joshi wrote:.
9. We have been donating a fixed sum to Singapore Cancer Society (since March 2011 and still ongoing) and Singapore Heart Foundation (since June 2014 and still ongoing). Not sure if this helps either ? Sorry, I did not intend to put this here, but just need your expert views if this helps and should I state this on my covering letter to ICA ?.
Image Image

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 19 Feb 2015 11:50 am

If I see within any type of application multiple or even single instances of the word renowned or prestigious then you even don't need to mention you country of origin (or statistically the race).
This at least for me would work against you as a clear sign of inflexibility and of being just an average Joe. But ICA may have it differently.

Rajdeep_Joshi

Post by Rajdeep_Joshi » Thu, 19 Feb 2015 11:56 am

Thanks x9200,

I will make sure I dont use such adjectives and stick to the actual names of the educational institutes.

Thanks,
Rajdeep