Singapore Expats

Oh the Irony! Duo from TRS arrested - one is FT!

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Oh the Irony! Duo from TRS arrested - one is FT!

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 10 May 2015 11:20 am

If you don't know what you are talking about, the wise thing to do is to keep your fingers off the keyboard, instead of letting everybody else know you don't know as well. FT's don't pay into CPF. =D> #-o ](*,)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 10 May 2015 11:21 am

calugaruvaxile wrote: editing: actually, as soon as the CPF money is safe
If you don't know what you are talking about, the wise thing to do is to keep your fingers off the keyboard, instead of letting everybody else know you don't know as well. FT's don't pay into CPF. =D> #-o ](*,)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

calugaruvaxile
Chatter
Chatter

Post by calugaruvaxile » Mon, 11 May 2015 7:54 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
calugaruvaxile wrote: editing: actually, as soon as the CPF money is safe
depends what you call a FT. when I got the PR, 6 years ago, I got it precisely though a foreign talent scheme (quite honestly not sure how the scheme was called, the one for phd holders). In those days, FT was not a derogatory term - or I may not have been aware of it :). To me, the whole thing began the descent about SG47- Sg48, when the companies started to decline paying the rents the locals hoped for (both for business space and for living space). So real-estate crashed, the real-estate agents started to grow hungry (about 10% of the locals at Sg47 times), taxi drivers turned sour, etcetc.

And yes, I wouldn't have touched the keyboard if my money were still in Sg.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 11 May 2015 9:04 am

Foreign Talent is normally reserved for EP holders who don't pay CPF and their male children aren't required to do NS. Once you gain PR you are considered as "local" and generally are not on Expatriate Terms as they are generally called. PRs are in a no-man's land of their own, being neither here nor there. We pay CPF and taxes but are treated as substandard by our employers once we gain PR as the "perks" quickly disappear. Therefore, we don't raise the ire of the locals that much (unless you are buying a resale HDB flat-that's about the only "problem" I've noted in the 33 years I've been here, 22 of them as a PR.

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Wed, 30 Dec 2015 3:32 pm

They have started their own business, affordable ramen for the people. I wish them all the best .

http://www.allsingaporestuff.com/articl ... -trs-story
Dear TRS Eaters,

We heard many of you have come down to our stalls to show your support after reading this recent mainstream media article.

Thanks for taking the time to try our ramen, we hope you enjoyed it!

For those of you that we chit chatted with, it was nice getting to know you all and for those who didn't get a chance to meet us or talk to us, we are sincerely sorry we missed you.

At the moment, we are unable to dispute or comment on issues pertaining to our case, such as the claims made by MDA and Minister Yaacob Ibrahim that the TRS website was run mainly by foreigners deliberately fabricating news to sow hatred, as the case is still presently before the courts. Even if we say we didn't or that we are not made up mainly of foreigners, it will not clear up anything until the case is presented in court and the judge makes the final verdict.

However, we are working with our lawyers to address these claims and the charges and we are sure that the truth about all these issues will come out in the near future when the case goes to trial.

For those who asked about our lives in general, thank you for your care and concern. It has not been an easy journey this year. A lot of things have happened including one of our family members suffering a serious brainstem stroke and developing a rare neurological condition called 'locked-in' syndrome.

We have decided to start a simple business to support our family including covering the high medical fees as well as the ongoing costs of care.

We are moving on with our lives and we are again grateful for the encouragement we have received from all TRS readers. Singapore politics will no longer concern us or be a topic of discussion within our family.

However, we hope that we can continue serving you quality ramen in the future!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 30 Dec 2015 3:46 pm

earthfriendly wrote:They have started their own business, affordable ramen for the people. I wish them all the best .
That's old news.

The news I am after is how the Japanese girl is not considered a foreigner ;)

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 02 Feb 2016 12:46 pm

Are foreigners allowed to eat it? :)

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Oh the Irony! Duo from TRS arrested - one is FT!

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 04 Feb 2016 10:34 am

zzm9980 wrote:Are foreigners allowed to eat it? :)
I am planning to visit the place and see if they say "foreigners need not eat here.. "

After all they got their moment of fame on their anti foreigner diatribes...

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 05 Feb 2016 11:47 am

ecureilx wrote:
I am planning to visit the place and see if they say "foreigners need not eat here.. "

I often see Facebook ads for a "Singaporean and PR Only" online dating app. Curious how they would even enforce that.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 05 Feb 2016 12:37 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
ecureilx wrote:

I often see Facebook ads for a "Singaporean and PR Only" online dating app. Curious how they would even enforce that.
You don't want those dirty <racially offensive demonym> mixing with the locals...
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 05 Feb 2016 9:58 pm

nakatago wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:
ecureilx wrote: I am planning to visit the place and see if they say "foreigners need not eat here.. "

You don't want those dirty <racially offensive demonym> mixing with the locals...
Well it is Facebook. If they had half a clue, they could target the ads a bit better and not get most of the foreigners.